Monday, November 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMEDY MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the original script for this 1975 film, the title object was finally found in London’s Harrods department store

Ryan Hemmel: 25800+523=26323 (4x = $104,526)
Tracy Arwari: 4100-2501=1599
Ben Ring: 6600-6158=442

Correct response:
Spoiler
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Tracy – What is?) (Ben – What is? Thanks to all who helped me get here)

Daily Doubles
Tracy: 200-500
Tracy: 1500+1000
Ryan: 19800+6000

Coryats
Ryan: 20600
Tracy: 4400
Ben: 6600

Combined: 31,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Ryan: 6600
Tracy: 300
Ben: 2600
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

And my FJ streak ends at 15, for something I should have gotten. Went The Pink Panther, even though I knew that was way earlier.

I don't think I've seen this movie since college, and even then I wasn't paying close attention.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice by the writers to catch me in AUTHORS' MIDDLE NAMES as I expected a 5/5 in the J! round while instead I was not able to process Arch Whitehead.

Ryan played DD3 at clue 29 with $400 left on the board.

Ryan 19800+6000
Ben 6200
Tracy 4100

If Ryan missed the DD then he's left with 13800. Ben did get that last $400 clue so finished with 6600. 6600 doubled is of course 13200 so Ryan still has the lock. If Ryan missed the DD and then also missed that last $400 clue to set up Ben for a rebound it's still 13400 to 13200 for the FJ! round. Gotta appreciate Ryan recognizing how to handle that play to end the round.

The FJ! category had me try three precalls: Tootsie, Animal House and Some Like It Hot. The FJ! clue had me puzzling and puzzling till my puzzler was sore. It did not sound like any movie I had seen. 1975 only brought to mind Jaws and Escape to Witch Mountain. Harrods meant British.

The right troop was not on my radar at all and I was certainly was correct I had never seen the movie. Time Bandits, on the other hand... that's a different story. Knowing it was wrong, but wanting something on my paper, I scribbled Pink Panther.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Category: COMEDY MOVIES

Me: not feeling confident

(Sees the clue)

FUNNIEST. MOVIE. EVER.

(Writes down the correct response)

Also, that was a fantastic bet by Ryan on DD3: it's a second-row clue, so it's better to go big, and even if he missed the clue and negged on the last 400, he still would have had a runaway.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another month in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6881

Philliesfan02: Funnier than The Naked Gun?
Leander

Post by Leander »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:48 pm And my FJ streak ends at 15, for something I should have gotten. Went The Pink Panther, even though I knew that was way earlier.

I don't think I've seen this movie since college, and even then I wasn't paying close attention.
I went with Pink Panther too, but didn’t think it was right either.

A clear memory of the movie wouldn’t help, since the Harrod’s bit is in an early draft of the script, not in the final version.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ran Sports Joes (nice to have contestants who know something about sports for a change), Royal Pain,
trash: schlemiel & schlimazel, noshing, solitary (DD), I Wanna Dance with Somebody, encyclical, Juan Carlos
:D :D :D on DDs
FJ: A moose once bit my sister. :mrgreen:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Leander wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:48 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:48 pm And my FJ streak ends at 15, for something I should have gotten. Went The Pink Panther, even though I knew that was way earlier.

I went with Pink Panther too, but didn’t think it was right either.

A clear memory of the movie wouldn’t help, since the Harrod’s bit is in an early draft of the script, not in the final version.
Oh yeah, that's right there in the clue, isn't it? I'm tired today.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Got to see a broadcast of the show for a change!

Coryat $39,200 (47R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

$11,200 in LT

Very gettable FJ, but I have this annoying tendency to get psyched out anytime a movie category comes up on Final. Thought of about 6-7 1975 movies, none of which was even a comedy. Uggh.

I found the Yiddish category pretty tough. So far this season I've been consistently better in DJ than the J round, which I suppose is better than the reverse if I had to pick one.

Ryan seems like a pretty solid champion, maybe the best of the season so far...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I guess I could look on the bright side of life - I came up with the correct British troupe for FJ!. Mid 70s, comedy, and British pretty much was a nice red arrow pointing to Monty Python. But the record player in my head just kept on skipping on "Life of Brian", since that's the only Monty Python movie I've seen. I don't know that I'd get it in an extended 60 seconds, but if I'd let it run in the background processes of my brain, I think it would bubble up from my subconscious eventually.

A little surprised that "moon" was a BMS for "blue moon", but it wasn't explicitly stated in the category introductions that every response had to involve a color - sometimes the categories have 2-4 clues that have a color in the response, and a few odd ones that have a color in the clue. Also not explicitly stated: a better title for the category would have been A RAINBOW CATEGORY. RYGBV in order, with orange or indigo likely being the J!6 clue.

In the pedantic category: "What isn't ironic?" could have been the response to a clue about a black fly in your chardonnay. The "Jagged Little Pill" musical takes up this issue head on - "Ironic" is set inside a high school English classroom where they debate its irony. Ironically. Or not ironically. You decide.

The champ's doing a good job. I did let out an audible gasp at his DD3 wager before seeing the three scores after he responded - I don't do a very good job of tracking scores in the game, since I'm playing along. I figured he was smart enough to keep his lead even if he was wrong and the last clue was taken by second place - and he certainly was. Also good since DDs in high rows tend to be easier.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another Pink Panther here. I saw the movie as a youngster. My mother took me to see it and I was expecting the cartoon and I hated the movie.

I always stop the tape on DDs. When the champ hit it on DD29 I computed what his ideal bet would be. I also came up with $5000.

Ryan keeps rolling along.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Put me down as another one who guessed The Pink Panther. Go ahead. I deserve it. If I'd thought about it, I'd have realized three things:

1. The movie that came out in '75 was The Return of the Pink Panther.

2. If that's the movie they were going for, they'd have asked for the title object, not the title of the movie.

3. I've read this trivium before in connection with the Holy Grail.

But no. I thought of the Pink Panther and started humming along with the think music because I was sure I had it.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I love Monty Python, but it still took me few seconds to get to the dates straight. I did get there though. Actually saw the movie for the first time on Netflix back in January, the weekend before Terry Jones died. And now that I think about it, I bought Alex Trebek's book the Friday before he passed away. :shock: I hope Tom Cruise is keeping himself safe, since I saw Risky Business this past weekend.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Man oh man, I just realized what an opportunity they missed for the AUTHORS' MIDDLE NAMES category:

Emmy winner George Trebek.
davey

Post by davey »

It's been a while since a correct response required 2 lines of my notebook. An awful lot to write if you don't think of it right off, so I'm happy I did... :)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 pm It's been a while since a correct response required 2 lines of my notebook. An awful lot to write if you don't think of it right off, so I'm happy I did... :)
Yeah, with a little rewording the clue could've requested the title object rather than the whole movie title. It would've been sad to see this FJ in a non-runaway and have some poor player get the boot for writing "What is Monty Python's Holy Grail?"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 pm
davey wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:38 pm It's been a while since a correct response required 2 lines of my notebook. An awful lot to write if you don't think of it right off, so I'm happy I did... :)
Yeah, with a little rewording the clue could've requested the title object rather than the whole movie title. It would've been sad to see this FJ in a non-runaway and have some poor player get the boot for writing "What is Monty Python's Holy Grail?"
My dad went for a wordier response, inserting "Search for the" into the title.

I was stuck on The Pink Panther too, but I knew it was wrong. The Holy Grail never crossed my mind.

My friend T.J. plays tomorrow. He's got his work cut out for him (although as evidenced by his A rundle placement on LearnedLeague, he's got the knowledge).
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

My dad had “The Pink Panther”. Ryan’s got it going for him…

7/10
It's the end of the journey that counts.