Thursday, December 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, December 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

I took the same detour Morgan took, thinking more of Old West type showdowns - but Hatfields and McCoys were just discussed (albeit tangentially) this week. It wasn't an awful guess if you don't know any of the cities - the feud started in 1863, so being off by 5 years for an event that happened about 160 years ago...not great, but not terrible. Counting the number of cities didn't help me either - 7 cities got me thinking of the Magnificent Seven, but that's fiction. And the seven were people, not cities.

I had no idea that Lincoln-Douglas had exactly 7 debates, but I knew they were probably the most famous instance of two men "facing each other" in that era. The year matched, as I knew it wasn't a presidential debate. Managed to get it - I felt it would be a 2/3 clue, not the 1/3 that we saw. If given a little more time, perhaps more would get it.

Cake donuts are delicious, and are the only donuts worth eating. Yeast donuts can be crumpled into a little ball. Nah. Come at me, Krispy Kremers, I'm all Dunkin.

In the "foreign words always sound longer than they are" column, I had "coquettish" for "flirtatiousness". Nope, not 15 letters, as I double checked.

Judges: "Movable type" for "printing press"? The clue asked for the technology, and they both seem like tech to me, and part of the same coin, but I'm wondering if there's a subtlety I'm missing.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I bet Michael from yesterday wishes Leslie had been more consistent about leaving $100 behind. Also, it would have been wild if Morgan had had a sole get and lost $9,997 to $9,999.

I knew the first three months added up to a round number, so I answered... March 1. When I realized I was leaving the third month off the count, I corrected myself... to April 1. Never mind that the xth day within an x-day set of months occurs on the last day of the last month of the set. And never mind that the round number the first three months adds up to is 90, not 100. I went very wrong, twice.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Lincoln and Douglas. 2/3 on DDs.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:09 pm Anyone else miss DD3 with leukemia?
I missed anemia and said leukemia.
talkingaway wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:49 pm Judges: "Movable type" for "printing press"? The clue asked for the technology, and they both seem like tech to me, and part of the same coin, but I'm wondering if there's a subtlety I'm missing.
According to WIkipedia Movable Type is the technology of printing that uses moving components and the Printing Press is a specific device in that field. The Printing Press was invented in 1450s Germany but Movable Type wasn't. The two words are closely connected and they might have allowed it as a response.

J-archive says 1450s for the clue and Wikipedia says around 1440 for the printing press.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:54 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:40 pm Archive playthrough:

Poll request on 100th day of the year = April 10th. I'm curious to see how many people had that at their fingertips....
Not on the fingertips but easy to suss out in time. First three months: 31+28+31=90, thus April 10.
You have a different definition of "easy" than I do...
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:43 pm
talkingaway wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:49 pm Judges: "Movable type" for "printing press"? The clue asked for the technology, and they both seem like tech to me, and part of the same coin, but I'm wondering if there's a subtlety I'm missing.
According to WIkipedia Movable Type is the technology of printing that uses moving components and the Printing Press is a specific device in that field. The Printing Press was invented in 1450s Germany but Movable Type wasn't. The two words are closely connected and they might have allowed it as a response.

J-archive says 1450s for the clue and Wikipedia says around 1440 for the printing press.
Gutenberg is, it seems, the originator of movable type in Europe so, while a strict clue reading would probably be no, J!'s tendency is to be lenient on edge cases (recent counterexamples notwithstanding (*snerk*)) so I'd let you have it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Lefty wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:44 pm I wonder if Morgan has brothers named Wyatt and Virgil.
And maybe a singing dentist named Billie....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:49 pm Cake donuts are delicious, and are the only donuts worth eating. Yeast donuts can be crumpled into a little ball. Nah. Come at me, Krispy Kremers, I'm all Dunkin.
Pffft. Dunkin donuts are made off-site and shipped to the local stores. Guaranteed not fresh. I'm a cake donut guy, though Krispy Kremes are good when hot, just not a fan of Dunkin. They don't have the king of cake donuts, the chocolate old-fashioned, so they're almost useless. I recommend Hana's Donuts in Kansas City, KS. Best I've ever had by a considerable margin. I want a chocolate old-fashioned right now. Mmmmmmmm.....
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:49 pm Cake donuts are delicious, and are the only donuts worth eating.
Yeah, if you don't choke while eating them.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:18 pm ...
I want a chocolate old-fashioned right now. Mmmmmmmm.....
Done.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Good thing the professor knew his history.

7/10
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Instaget FJ for me, but I spent the vast majority of my life living in the next county over from Freeport, where they naturally have a Lincoln-Douglas Elementary School.

Please don't tell the college I graduated with honors from that I somehow got 31+28+31=92.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:01 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:18 pm ...
I want a chocolate old-fashioned right now. Mmmmmmmm.....
Done.
I'll trade you my ice cream for it.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Did anyone else think of Les Nessman from WKRP based on what the new champ looks like... and especially sounds like?

I half-expected him to haul out his Silver Sow Award and place on his podium during the interviews... :)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

A nice battle today with Leslie faltering in FJ. I was shocked by all 3 bets in FJ, but’s that nothing unusual. 1858, two men facing off in multiple towns? As a former HS debater, ain’t no way I’m missing Lincoln-Douglas.

That April 10 computation was impossible for me to pull off before Alex called time. It didn’t help that it started out with “thirty days has September...” :oops:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rackme32 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:08 am Did anyone else think of Les Nessman from WKRP based on what the new champ looks like... and especially sounds like?

I half-expected him to haul out his Silver Sow Award and place on his podium during the interviews... :)
Yes! I even told my wife that I was sad he didn't have a visible bandage somewhere so he could switch its location between games. Also, he should open an imaginary door when leaving his podium.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:15 am A nice battle today with Leslie faltering in FJ. I was shocked by all 3 bets in FJ, but’s that nothing unusual. 1858, two men facing off in multiple towns? As a former HS debater, ain’t no way I’m missing Lincoln-Douglas.

That April 10 computation was impossible for me to pull off before Alex called time. It didn’t help that it started out with “thirty days has September...” :oops:
Call me dense, but I've always hated that rhyme. "Thirty days has December, August, May, and October." Fits just as well, and is 100% wrong.

If I'd had a nice, calm thinking process for that clue, I could have easily just visualized January and March as having 31 days, and then each of them "giving" a day to Feb's 28 so that each month has 30. That's 90, so it's April 10. Of course, the J! mindset always has me searching clues for the ultra quick "trick" to the answer, but this isn't one of those clues. Also, I'd be afraid of fencepost - aka "off by one" - errors. Is April 1 the 90th day or the 91st? Am I 100% sure?

It may seem like a trivial thing to worry about being off by one, but if the clue were: "For a 100 foot fence with posts every 10 feet, this is the number of fenceposts you need", it's easy to make an error, and counting problems like days in a month is one place where that can happen. How many days are strictly between the 6th and the 10th? It's not 10-6.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought asking for the 100th day in a non-leap year was brutal. No wonder that one was a stand and stare.

Ran Doll "R"s and Transportation.

0/5 in Oscar. Knee-jerked Ryan Bingham on "Weary Kind".

Health for $400 was MASSIVE HONKING NEGBAIT for emphysema and of course I bit. WHY DO I ALWAYS DO THIS?!?

Got FJ! right before he was done reading.

Lach Trash: biplane, Pullman. Also got the Buffalo DD.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:26 am Call me dense, but I've always hated that rhyme. "Thirty days has December, August, May, and October." Fits just as well, and is 100% wrong.
Your point is clouded by the fact that October screws up the rhyme (the final stressed syllable has to rhyme for it to work, and so October rhymes with "sober" but not with "member" like the other three of the final four months do). But if you know the rhyme, you aren't mixing it up. Like, there are nine years in every century that rhyme with "blue" (which is to say nothing of the fact that nine other years a century rhyme with "sea"), but we've all been conditioned to associate 1492 with Columbus.

This also reminds me of Ned Flanders's rhyme about differentiating apple beverages: "If it's clear and yella, you've got juice there, fella! If it's tangy and brown, you're in cider town!" But you can swap "cider" and "juice" without affecting the rhyme.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:17 pm Oh yeah ... forgot to mention the good old New York city of .... Newark?
At that point, I turned to Mrs. alietr and explained the phrase 'under the lights'. Perfect example of it.

No way I was getting to April 10 in the amount of time, but given more time, it would be easy.
Rackme32 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:08 am Did anyone else think of Les Nessman from WKRP based on what the new champ looks like... and especially sounds like?
You nailed it. Didn't think of it at the time. It's going to make tonight's match a lot different to watch.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

The Civil War guesses were too early, but at least relatively close. But the FJ betting the last two days has been difficult to watch.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
yclept

Post by yclept »

Morgan had no reason to think she could win...yet, if she would have bet it all and ended up being the sole solver, she would have. She would have really kicked herself if the sole solver scenario played out....