Friday, December 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, December 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:16 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:13 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:11 pm I didn't but only because I thought of the actor names first. I do remember thinking at the time that the character names should also be acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if Alex had the alternative on his card.
Character names weren't accepted on "Quoted in Bartlett's" for $1,600 in this game.
They wanted the ones named in Bartlett’s.
I still think it was a bit dirty for them to let all three contestants swing and miss like that, and then suddenly remember to ask for the writer again on the $2,000 clue.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:11 pm I didn't but only because I thought of the actor names first. I do remember thinking at the time that the character names should also be acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if Alex had the alternative on his card.
Character names weren't accepted on "Quoted in Bartlett's" for $1,600 in this game.
Yeah, looking at that clue, it was a stinker, except they did give that the correct response required exactly TWO people. If you know South Park, you know that there's Kenny and three other "main characters" as children. So that's three people who commonly say that quote...plus I'm sure there are others. But, ironically, the next clue they specified (the writer) underneath, which they should have done for this one, too. It's the perfect example of where all three people quite possibly knew the correct response, but the clue was poorly written.

I assume the quote in Bartlett's is listed "Oh My God, you killed Kenny! You bastards!" - Trey Parker and Matt Stone. Or maybe Bartlett's has headings that are people's names, with various quotations from that person underneath, and Trey and Matt share a heading because they're essentially a duo. I haven't used Bartlett's since the Reagan administration, so my memory is foggy.

As for the clue in this game, neither the category nor the clue specified actor vs character, so both pairs should be accepted.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:35 pm Yeah, looking at that clue, it was a stinker, except they did give that the correct response required exactly TWO people. If you know South Park, you know that there's Kenny and three other "main characters" as children. So that's three people who commonly say that quote
I seem to remember that it was almost always Stan and Kyle who would say it, though.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:06 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:40 am
TriviaBug wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:23 am Too many adults on this board!

(Playing from the archive) - cannot believe no one has still called out Katherine's answer on the special events clue in the French Arts category (the rest of us non-adults were thinking it, weren't we)...so glad the person with that response won!
I knew her response was incorrect, but I also knew someone was going to say it.
A least in the Covid era she probably didn't have a watch party, because that would be embarrassing to relive.
I don't think she should be embarrassed. OK, it's an unlikely response for J!, and it doesn't seem to work for Giselle, but we know that for many stories of prior centuries it was a special event related to the wedding...
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:35 pm
Yeah, looking at that clue, it was a stinker, except they did give that the correct response required exactly TWO people. If you know South Park, you know that there's Kenny and three other "main characters" as children. So that's three people who commonly say that quote...plus I'm sure there are others. But, ironically, the next clue they specified (the writer) underneath, which they should have done for this one, too. It's the perfect example of where all three people quite possibly knew the correct response, but the clue was poorly written.
Maybe the mistake was spelling it out for the $2000 clue. It's not so outrageous to expect players to know that Bartlett's quotes writers. One of them could have used the previous wrong response(s) to have an ah-hah moment (or just kept silent), instead they doubled down.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That one response by the new champ was pretty embarrassing.

Am I the only one who noticed that on the Chris Matthews clue, Alex referred to the current year as "two thousand twenty" but later in the game he referred to it by its more popular name "twenty twenty"?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:58 am That one response by the new champ was pretty embarrassing.

Am I the only one who noticed that on the Chris Matthews clue, Alex referred to the current year as "two thousand twenty" but later in the game he referred to it by its more popular name "twenty twenty"?
Why, it's hard to tell which is more scandalous!... :roll:
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Emma Watson, Canny, Constitution, Wise, New York, (Samuel de Champlain), Straits of Mackinac, Selena Gomez, (Hundred Years' War), Napoleon of Crime, Cancer
Douglas Squasoni
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

TriviaBug wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:23 am Too many adults on this board!

(Playing from the archive) - cannot believe no one has still called out Katherine's answer on the special events clue in the French Arts category (the rest of us non-adults were thinking it, weren't we)...so glad the person with that response won!
very much laughed out loud at that one
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I have friends who will insist that Fred should have been immediately disqualified from the game for not saying "The"

Was Fred thinking "thic"?

Oh, is that why they're the New Orleans Pelicans? Should've been obvious in retrospect.

Coryat: $40,600

J: 21R9P. Got DD. 5/5 on Miscellany, Great Lakes, and Mining. 2/5 on Dream. 1/5 on Actresses (HBC was my only get).

DJ: 24R6P. Both DDs. 5/5 on Literature, French, Vowels, and History. 1/5 on Duets (I knew Grease).

FJ: Like Katherine, started with Cyprus than changed to Malta.

LT: New York, Mackinac, Napoleon of crime