Friday, December 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, December 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by rockyboy34 »

Boy, this was one game ayone could win.

7/10
It's the end of the journey that counts.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:59 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:47 pm shoulda got The Napoleon of Crime, but blanked. :|
I thought that one could have used a little more clue.

So Fred thought "think" was a four-letter word. I think that underlines a problem in our society.
I thought he said "thick"! At least it's an adjective. "Man the Think" for "Man the Wise" is not one of the great moments in J! history...
I note that Fred is a professor of Liberal Studies, not history, English, or anthropology... or math. :roll:
"Napoleon of Crime" is a slam dunk for Holmes fans...except the best I could come up with was "Emperor of Crime"... :oops:
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:34 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:24 pm I don't know what Josh had for missing DD1. The CC has Leclee whoever that is. I welcome better ideas.
I'm guessing this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Lacl%C3%A8de
I was kind of hoping that he said La Cleve...you know, the French guy who Cleveland is named after??... ;)
I'm another who said keen and I remain happy with it. Another instance when the expected response is just too obvious to stand...
I'm not pleased with my Moriarty slip, but - especially considering I gave the mocked response in the other geography FJ earlier this week - I'm thrilled that I pulled tonight's FJ without hesitation...even though I'm not sure how... :)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:55 pmI'm thrilled that I pulled tonight's FJ without hesitation...even though I'm not sure how... :)
Probably because you didn't think of Cyprus. :lol:
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:16 pm
davey wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:55 pmI'm thrilled that I pulled tonight's FJ without hesitation...even though I'm not sure how... :)
Probably because you didn't think of Cyprus. :lol:
To be honest, when those responses were revealed I thought Is Cyprus a country? You know, that whole partition thing... :o
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:46 pm The FJ! clue had me write the "G" for Gibraltar and stop. Nation not territory had me switch to Cyprus
Also remember the category! Gibraltar doesn't work for either of the two words.

I was fairly confident with Malta right from the get-go because it's so well known as being so strategically important basically forever.

And for the data mining experts here I'd like to know if this is the first time that two contestants wore bow ties on the same show. :D
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

This will definitely be a week to shake off for me. Without spoiling earlier episodes, I went 2/5 on Finals this week, capped off by picking the wrong side of the Cyprus/Malta coin today. At least today's DJ was quality, running Literature, Same Vowel, and "H"istory. I would have also been confident enough to bet very big on both DDs. Oh well, on to next week.

P.S. I would really like to know more about how Elias Howe's cannibal nightmare inspired him to invent the sewing machine. Did he think sewn clothes would stop them from biting his flesh?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:56 pm Archive playthrough:

Coryat $40,400 (47R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Missed the FJ clues on Mon and Tues but was able to salvage a 3/5 week. As per usual, did better in DJ than the J round.
DBear wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:47 pm
shoulda got The Napoleon of Crime, but blanked. :|
Ditto. Had they given us "Napoleon of Crime", I could have named Moriarty. There is a lesson in there about studying flashcards in both directions....
I fear I would've negged with Macavity first if they spotted us just that...

I knew this FJ felt vaguely familiar! Same line of attack as a older one from a game Mark added back in August
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:33 am I added 7/15/92: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6788
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Come on, people. Enough with the obvious under-the-lights responses. Clearly he knew that 'think' is not a four letter word, but sometimes you just blurt things out up there.

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:28 pm Maybe it's time to expand JBoard's poll question limit from 16 to 24?
As you wish.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Too many adults on this board!

(Playing from the archive) - cannot believe no one has still called out Katherine's answer on the special events clue in the French Arts category (the rest of us non-adults were thinking it, weren't we)...so glad the person with that response won!
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TriviaBug wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:23 am Too many adults on this board!

(Playing from the archive) - cannot believe no one has still called out Katherine's answer on the special events clue in the French Arts category (the rest of us non-adults were thinking it, weren't we)...so glad the person with that response won!
I knew her response was incorrect, but I also knew someone was going to say it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:40 am

A least in the Covid era she probably didn't have a watch party, because that would be embarrassing to relive.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:25 am
mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:56 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:47 pm
shoulda got The Napoleon of Crime, but blanked. :|
Ditto. Had they given us "Napoleon of Crime", I could have named Moriarty. There is a lesson in there about studying flashcards in both directions....
I fear I would've negged with Macavity first if they spotted us just that...
That's my first thought for "Napoleon of Crime" as well. They sing the phrase with such gusto in Cats. It sticks with you. And if spotted just that, Macavity would have to be accepted, so we're ok. If they throw in something about Holmes or Watson or Conan Doyle, I think we'd be able to switch gears. But a cagier clue about Victorian London or "an 1893 story" might pin the response without setting off our warning lights.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:35 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:28 pm Maybe it's time to expand JBoard's poll question limit from 16 to 24?
As you wish.
What's it like to have such great power? Do you feel the burden of great responsibility or do you just sit in your admiral's chair and cackle?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:06 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:40 am

A least in the Covid era she probably didn't have a watch party, because that would be embarrassing to relive.
As TriviaBug says, it's a good thing she won. There's nothing like $22,801 to help you see the funny side of a goof you made. I assume. (To Whom It May Concern: I'm willing to publicly embarrass myself to at least that extent in exchange for $22,801. Get in touch and we'll talk.) And it's probably safe to assume that with $800 more going into FJ, she still would have made the minimum shutout bet against Fred and ended up with exactly the same final score. A genuine "no harm, no foul" situation in the end. I could see enjoying the watch party and the riotous laughter under those conditions. My worry would be that there wouldn't riotous laughter so much as an awkward silence as people feel bad for me and try to pretend they didn't hear what just happened.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Well, I'm 1/5 this week for FJ!, after going 4/5 a couple of weeks ago. At least I avoided the Box of Doom thanks to yesterday's FJ. I had absolutely no clue on FJ!, so I just put down Great Britain...which is wrong because it's an island, but not a nation. I just picked a random island that was involved in WII. I literally had no clue where to go with the clue, so I'm not surprised I got it wrong.

Anyone else say "Sandy and Danny" for the clue on Grease? I mean, I see what they were going for, but the clue could go either way, which is rare - they're usually good about specifying actors vs characters.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Actresses was a total donut for me.

Yes, you otter know that I got Great Lakes for $200. In fact, I ran the category.

Treasure Island = Stevenson is a match that always refuses to stick in my brain.

I got only Gotye in Duet Partners. No idea how Travolta/Newton-John failed to register, but I had no hope on the other 3.

What was the TOM for "wedding" on French Arts & Culture for $400?

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: wise, New York, Straits of Mackinac. Also got the Champlain DD.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:27 pm Anyone else say "Sandy and Danny" for the clue on Grease? I mean, I see what they were going for, but the clue could go either way, which is rare - they're usually good about specifying actors vs characters.
I didn't but only because I thought of the actor names first. I do remember thinking at the time that the character names should also be acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if Alex had the alternative on his card.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:11 pm I didn't but only because I thought of the actor names first. I do remember thinking at the time that the character names should also be acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if Alex had the alternative on his card.
Character names weren't accepted on "Quoted in Bartlett's" for $1,600 in this game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:13 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:11 pm I didn't but only because I thought of the actor names first. I do remember thinking at the time that the character names should also be acceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if Alex had the alternative on his card.
Character names weren't accepted on "Quoted in Bartlett's" for $1,600 in this game.
They wanted the ones named in Bartlett’s.