FJs for the 11/30/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/30/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 pm

In the original script for this 1975 film, the title object was finally found in London's Harrods department store
48%
Roland Garros, for whom the French Open stadium is named, gained fame with the 460-mile 1st solo flight across this body of water
64%
This character from an 1851 novel "was intent on an audacious, immitigable, and supernatural revenge"
35%
In 1858 these 2 men faced each other in Alton, Freeport, Galesburg & 4 other nearby towns
92%
What's now this nation resisted naval sieges by the Berbers in 1429, the Ottomans in 1565 & Axis WWII air assaults  
58%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
7%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
IT CAME FROM CROWDFUNDING! $400: Before it was an Emmy-winning TV show, this was a one-woman show Phoebe Waller-Bridge partially funded on Kickstarter  
63%
NON-PROPHETS $800: In Acts of the Apostles, the false prophet Elymas, aka Bar-Jesus, has a bad day when this man calls him a "child of the devil"
31%
AROUND THE WORLD $800: The highest point on this Indonesian island is Mount Agung, known as "the navel of the world"
11%
Pink Panther was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
17%
I have seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
69%
I have seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail and yet I still missed the Monday FJ! clue.
32%
The English Channel was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
24%
North Sea was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
Bay of Biscay was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
TAKING YOUR MEASURE $1200 box DD: The unit abbreviated M[sub]J[/sub] is used to describe the heft of extrasolar planets & other astronomical bodies--M is for mass, J is for this - I was correct with Jupiter.
52%
TAKING YOUR MEASURE $1200 box DD: The unit abbreviated M[sub]J[/sub] is used to describe the heft of extrasolar planets & other astronomical bodies--M is for mass, J is for this - I was incorrect with Joule(s).  
12%
Edmond Dantès (the Count of Monte Cristo) was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
23%
Mr. Hyde was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
4%
Simon Legree was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
4%
KEEPING IT 100 $800: In a non leap year, the 100th day falls on this date - I was correct with April 10th.
42%
KEEPING IT 100 $800: In a non leap year, the 100th day falls on this date  - I added to the smell of wood burning Alex noticed.
36%
Cyprus was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
27%

Total votes: 84

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 11/30/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

11/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMEDY MOVIES

11/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the original script for this 1975 film, the title object was finally found in London's Harrods department store

12/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AVIATORS

12/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Roland Garros, for whom the French Open stadium is named, gained fame with the 460-mile 1st solo flight across this body of water

12/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVEL CHARACTERS

12/2 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This character from an 1851 novel "was intent on an audacious, immitigable, and supernatural revenge"

12/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY AMERICANS

12/3 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1858 these 2 men faced each other in Alton, Freeport, Galesburg & 4 other nearby towns

12/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ISLAND NATIONS

12/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
What's now this nation resisted naval sieges by the Berbers in 1429, the Ottomans in 1565 & Axis WWII air assaults

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
the Mediterranean Sea
Captain Ahab
Lincoln & Douglas
Malta
The players were 5/15 (33.33%) with a 1-2-0-1-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested one a player got correct followed by two requested triple stumpers.

IT CAME FROM CROWDFUNDING! $400: Before it was an Emmy-winning TV show, this was a one-woman show Phoebe Waller-Bridge partially funded on Kickstarter  

NON-PROPHETS $800: In Acts of the Apostles, the false prophet Elymas, aka Bar-Jesus, has a bad day when this man calls him a "child of the devil"

AROUND THE WORLD $800: The highest point on this Indonesian island is Mount Agung, known as "the navel of the world"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Fleabag
Paul
Bali

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 11/30/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

Note: The poll options have been increased from 16 to 24 options making this week’s poll longer to accommodate a lot of the requests.

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Pink Panther (never seen MPatHG)
Bay of Biscay
Guessed Jupiter for a J something
Crossed out Simon Legree
Wood burning on 100 days – should have done as previously mentioned 30+30+30+10
Cyprus
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

I've seen it so many times, I can recite most of Holy Grail.
Guessed Dr Jekyll (so I didn't check Mr Hyde)
Cyprus
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :| :|

Mon - (blank) Couldn't come up with anything worth writing down. Should've spent more time on Harrod's than the date or title

Couldn't count the number of times I've seen MP&tHG... Even both commentary tracks and with Shakespearean subtitles!

Fleabag was a rebound
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

No guess (I've seen Holy Grail and I actually knew this fact at some point, but couldn't come up with it), Dantes, Cyprus.

Got Jupiter.
Had April 10th almost immediately.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
----:( :mrgreen: :(----

Too slow on Monday. My first thought was a Pink Panther sequel, but I don't think I'd have written it down, even if I had a particular title in mind. I have watched Holy Grail, but only once. I'm sort of familiar with the "elderberries" speech, but little more.

No question about what "1851 novel", though I still had to read the whole clue.

I was just barely aware that "fleabag" was something other than its dictionary meaning, and have never driven over the Phoebe Waller Bridge.

I might at best have got Bali on the double rebound, and I stopped reading the "Jupiter" clue about half through, to save energy for future clues.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

English Channel and Dracula, for want of anything better...
Could not come up with the name of the show I watched. Phoebe Waller Bridge would have been easier.
But that's OK, at this moment I'm the only person who's seen Holy Grail who got the clue...
Since someone asked, Paul is the main figure in Acts. That's what made it a top-line clue...
I still don't get the Jupiter clue...No wood burning cause I didn't make a serious attempt to answer that one...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

:roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I can't help but think that it might have been useful to me if I had ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Not sure how I missed seeing it.

On the other hand (full nerd disclosure) I actually read a book decades ago about the role of Malta in the fighting for Italy in WWII. Can't begin to imagine why or under what circumstances I read it, or (even nerdier) why I happened to remember it when this FJ came up. I pretty much instantly got this one right while predicting one or more correct responses would name Cyprus.
Last edited by John Boy on Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Went with obvious distractors North Sea & Count of Monte Cristo. :|
:? :( :( NHOI, Peter & Jakarta. Really picked some winners this week. :x
Correctly had April 10. :)
MP&THG was practically a rite of passage when it was released on video. 8-)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I checked the Pink Panther box for Monday; I knew it was wrong and probably would have left FJ blank, but it was it was the only British comedy title object I could think of. Simon Legree on Wednesday. I only got the extra clues by rebounding from the contestants' "Dirtbag" and Peter.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MP&tHG is one of my very favorite movies, but somehow I thought it came out in 1971 so it was never on my radar screen.

Still scratching my head about the "supernatural" part.

Me getting the TV and Bible ones and missing the geography one is on brand for 2020.

I'm a science geek (and professional scientist) so I could have told you what MJ was if they just put up an M with a subscript J and said "What does this mean?" Spotting us "planets" and "Mass of J____" made it a slam dunk on a Fisher-Price toddlers' basketball hoop.

Despite enough STEM background to nail clues about astronomical units while simultaneously thinking about what I want to order for dinner, I could not do the math fast enough to come up with April 10 in 3 seconds.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:49 pm :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Went with obvious distractors North Sea & Count of Monte Cristo. :|
:? :( :( NHOI, Peter & Jakarta. Really picked some winners this week. :x
Correctly had April 10. :)
MP&THG was practically a rite of passage when it was released on video. 8-)
All three extras were requests and two were from Hammer, so perhaps not the typical mix, though I felt all were reasonable enough to include in that section. You are always welcome to request one you got right to insure 33% on that portion of the poll.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Have seen Holy Grail more than once. Didn’t remember exactly when it came out and never would make the connection to something not in the script. Went with Pink Panther. Dracula on Wednesday. Borneo instead of Bali.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

English Channel for Tuesday. Four weeks in a row getting 4/5, which might be a first for me.

Seen Holy Grail back in January, which in 2020 time, is 3 years ago. I liked it, but I prefer Life of Brian.

My guess for the Jupiter clue didn't start with J. Math error made me guess April 11th for the calendar clue.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:| :mrgreen: :|

What a week. Fell for Pink Panther and Cyprus but got Captain Ahab. Looks like I have the honor of being the first no vote on Lincoln-Douglas. What a week. Should've known Lincoln-Douglas. Should've known Holy Grail. Considered Malta but Cyprus seemed so much more obvious. Short of knowing the specific fact, or at least a lot more about WW2 than I do, there's no way I'm picking anything other than Cyprus. I think the term negbait is overused, but I'm close to calling it on this one.

The Mediterranean clue similarly flirted with bogosity, or maybe I'm just bitter. But come on. Why does the first person to solo fly across the Mediterranean take an arbitrarily long route? On the other hand, why did Lindbergh fly from New York to Paris rather than Newfoundland to Ireland as John Alcock and Arthur Brown had done 8 years prior? Alternatively, why didn't someone solo fly that shorter route before Lucky Lindy completed his needlessly showy trip? All I know is I wish some Spaniard had flown a plane across the Strait of Gibraltar (or just east of it to be clearly on the Mediterranean side) a day before Roland Garros did his thing. Then Garros would have been an also-ran and every time he showed up late for something his buddies would ask if he took the long route and then dig their elbows into his side.

I guessed Fleabag but wouldn't have rung in so I'm not checking that box. I said Paul. I'm not certain I'd have rung in initially since I was only 75% sure. Once Peter was eliminated, though, I was all over that clue.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:49 pm On the other hand (full nerd disclosure) I actually read a book decades ago about the role of Malta in the fighting for Italy in WWII. Can't begin to imagine why or under what circumstances I read it, or (even nerdier) why I happened to remember it when this FJ came up. I pretty much instantly got this one right while predicting one or more correct responses would name Cyprus.
Well, you were wrong on that one. Turns out zero correct responses named Cyprus.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:20 pm Considered Malta but Cyprus seemed so much more obvious. Short of knowing the specific fact, or at least a lot more about WW2 than I do, there's no way I'm picking anything other than Cyprus. I think the term negbait is overused, but I'm close to calling it on this one.
Well, one of three facts.

But of the three, the Berbers are most likely to rule Cyprus out. They stuck to the western side of the Mediterranean; Morocco, Algeria, etc.

Next would be the Ottoman Empire. Resisting a siege would mean said island was never part of the Empire and between Malta and Cyprus, which would less likely be a part of the Ottoman Empire? The one farther from the seat of power.

Finally, the Axis air bombardment. This one you probably do need more background knowledge. You had to know it was nicknamed Britain's unsinkable aircraft carrier and/or their flag bears a Cross of St George, awarded to Malta for holding out.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I guessed Bay of Biscay for the body of water Final.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

:cry: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :cry: :cry:

Another Pink Panther on Monday with that nagging feeling that something more obvious was lurking. A head-slap on reveal. These are the type of clues one hates to miss.

On Tuesday, immediately dismissed The English Channel (distance mentioned does not gel with the swimming records) and then spent 30 seconds thinking of a "stretch of water" on the north side of France. Never pivoted to the south but even if I did, I would have dismissed Mediterranean as too broad both in terms of the distance and what I thought the writers might have been going for. At the time of the reveal, I felt the clue needed one or two geographic references. But it seems to be polling well and 2/3 of the contestants got it, so whom am I to complain?
My website and app - http://triviabug.com