Monday, December 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, December 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bluejaylink »

Was I alone in guessing "Philippines" instead of "Hawaiian Islands"?

Maybe a poll request?
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:57 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:04 am Cast me in with the Leviathan lot. My wife is a worship leader and both of her parents are pastors. All 3 were clueless as to there being any reference to a unicorn in the Bible, let alone 9...

Also, I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but this is the 12th game in a row in which all 61 clues have been played. Lucky 13 tomorrow is bound to make me curse bringing it up... :roll:
When I watched, one of those teaser promos for the week ran that included another Ken category. The first two times this season that Ken presented there were clues unplayed. The most recent time did have the boards completed. We'll see if it goes 50% or 75%.

From archiving games it does seem like recently there are fewer Clue Crew and guest reader clues and that saves time with not as much wordage. If Mike Richards has had a hand in trying better to get boards completed then good for him. It's an upward trend no one can dislike other than run-out-the-clock runaway leaders.
I wonder if it could be a production issue, a COVID issue, or a budget issue. Obviously it's still possible to film the segments, but it's logistically more difficult. Also, there's less to promote - anyone planning on taking a Viking River Cruise this spring? Or seeing the Tonys broadcast live on CBS on the....wheneverth? Or catching the latest film from Sony Pictures? This creates problems both in finding money to sponsor the segments, and in getting money to film the random celebrity clues - although, usually the celebrities have something to promote themselves.

Also, Jimmy and Sarah might be in boot camp to actually host a week or two - they've watched for more than a decade, and I know Jimmy's hosted practice games, but they're backup QBs who have yet to actually "get in the game". That probably goes double for Ken - he probably won't be filming too many of his special categories, now that he's in the running to host the show...although who knows how many of them he's already done.

I do have to say...I love a 61-clue game. It could be that with Alex re-recording many of his clue readings, they can "fix it in post", and they can tell they can get all the clues in.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:55 pm I got interested in Movie Goofs for $400. Is it a goof? Between shots she puts down the croissant and picks up the pancake, which you can see on her plate in the first shot...She's hungry (as anyone who eats a pancake with her hands must be...)! She probably hasn't been getting regular meals....I understand the character has been leading a dissolute life... :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cX76YS3NEU
Wow, yeah. There is plenty of time for her to put down the croissant, take up the pancake that's clearly visible on the plate in earlier shots, and take a bite. I'm surprised this is even listed as a goof.

The one I kept pre-calling was the scene in Braveheart where a white car drives by in the far background. That one's less easy to explain.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

It's only "too much" because this is a TOC QF. It's not like there's any wager that would have won Stephen the game outright. Still, fair enough. Trifecta in play, but I'm closing eligibility at the end of May 2031. Somebody remind me.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

bluejaylink wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 am Was I alone in guessing "Philippines" instead of "Hawaiian Islands"?
Nope, I said the same.
Rackme32

Post by Rackme32 »

Is anyone else sick and tired of game shows mentioning the Bible and other religious nonsense books and presenting them as indisputably true?

Sheeeeeeeeesh.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:26 am Is anyone else sick and tired of game shows mentioning the Bible and other religious nonsense books and presenting them as indisputably true?

Sheeeeeeeeesh.
No, chill out.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Another leviathan here. The bible I had growing up was the New International Version which uses wild ox and doesn't mention unicorns. Easy miss for me.

It looked like John was the only one who was comfortable with the buzzer.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:26 am Is anyone else sick and tired of game shows mentioning the Bible and other religious nonsense books and presenting them as indisputably true?

Sheeeeeeeeesh.
What's the relevance of your question to this game?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Well, now we know why unicorns appear on heraldic shields.
OCSam
davey

Post by davey »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:22 am
bluejaylink wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 am Was I alone in guessing "Philippines" instead of "Hawaiian Islands"?
Nope, I said the same.
It was a good guess because the US did gain the Philippines in 1898...but I suppose we were to understand that the category was about keepers... ;)
davey

Post by davey »

Sheeeeeeeeesh.
Yeah, how dare they ask about literature...I have it on good authority Middle Earth never existed either!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:20 am

Sheeeeeeeeesh.
Yeah, how dare they ask about literature...I have it on good authority Middle Earth never existed either!
Wait ... what?!?!?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I thought manticore and gorgon were pretty bad guesses, but if someone had written unicorn I would have laughed out loud. I was pretty confident my response of auroch was correct. I'm curious if any boardies got this solely from clue context, without any prior knowledge of the animal being mentioned in the bible.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:13 pm Stinker of an FJ clue... in the KJV but not in other translations...
Thanks for pointing this out. If anyone asks, I now have a perfectly good excuse for missing this FJ. Of the four or five Bibles in my house none are KJV :)
Rackme32

Post by Rackme32 »

Sheeeeeeeeesh.
Maybe I should have been more clear. I mean, "Why are such religious works of fiction so often presented as nonfiction?"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Sheeeeeeeeesh.
Maybe I should have been more clear. I mean, "Why are such religious works of fiction so often presented as nonfiction?"
What about this clue pointed to non-fiction?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:55 am
davey wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:55 pm I got interested in Movie Goofs for $400. Is it a goof? Between shots she puts down the croissant and picks up the pancake, which you can see on her plate in the first shot...She's hungry (as anyone who eats a pancake with her hands must be...)! She probably hasn't been getting regular meals....I understand the character has been leading a dissolute life... :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cX76YS3NEU
Wow, yeah. There is plenty of time for her to put down the croissant, take up the pancake that's clearly visible on the plate in earlier shots, and take a bite. I'm surprised this is even listed as a goof.

The one I kept pre-calling was the scene in Braveheart where a white car drives by in the far background. That one's less easy to explain.
Was it a DeLorean?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Sheeeeeeeeesh.
Can you give an example where this has been done? The FJ in this game doesn't do that. Neither did the clue about Genesis 1:2. Yet it would seem that one or both of those provided the impetus for your post. Is it possible that you're really asking why this and other game shows do not positively identify the Bible as "religious nonsense"? I agree Jeopardy! doesn't come down on that side of the fence either. I'd be irked if it did. I'd also be irked if it identified the Koran or the Book of Mormon as "religious nonsense" though I'd have a different opinion on the truth-value of those claims. Similarly with identifying the works of Marx or Freud as "atheist nonsense".

The purpose of the game is not to evaluate or put forth such claims. Such matters lie outside the purpose of this board as well, since our purpose is to discuss the game. That's why I'm only responding to your statements as they relate to the game. I naturally have more extensive thoughts. I imagine many of us do. I'm happy to share mine via PM or email, but only if someone expresses an interest. If everyone starts sharing their opinion right here on JBoard about what is "nonsense" and "fiction" vs "fact" and "truth" on this subject, I'm quite prepared to leave. Perhaps it's better to keep such opinions to ourselves, however vexed we may be that Jeopardy! declines to make a final ruling in our favor. It's worked so far.