Tuesday, December 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Re: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILER

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:50 pm Thanks, didn’t catch that. I would have considered not adding the dollar in that scenario.
From the lead you have to add the dollar because 2nd recklessly goes all in frequently therefore it rarely matters on a TS. From 2nd you don't add the dollar because you'd much rather have a buzzer race with 3rd place instead of 1st place.

FJ reminds me of one of my favorite movie quotes --- I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said "I drank what?".
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I almost never post here anymore, but I do have to drop in and say that I pre-called the $2,000 clue in "Live Albums" tonight. When the category was shown, I turned to my wife and said, "well after all these years Peter Frampton has got to be a $2,000 clue now". :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Has there even been a FJ that ended in an exclamation point (that wasn't quoting someone else's words)? Seemed like an added bit of cheekiness from the writers.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I said "Lerner and Loeb" confusing the name "Loewe" with a more sinister member of a famous pair that begins with an L

It was surprising to see John put up a very strong $20,600 coryat score yesterday then end up with $9,400 today.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

A lot of relevant and interesting tweets from Cody: https://twitter.com/cody___lawrence
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I went 4/4 on big clues. In the collabs clue I missed twice with Rodgers and Hammerstein. I also missed with a response of Sherlock and Holmes.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I guess I'll mention it since no one else has: No BMS for just Adams? Wow...

That DD1 response made me make quite a face. I mean, what a power couple that would have been!

Insta-final to get the unicorn off my back :roll:
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:16 pm It's complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6887

DD1: Is that what the stage and lights do to someone? :lol: Cody said something after the miss, but I (and the CC) could not figure out his remark about her.
Something like "Catherine the Great...I didn't have the right Catherine." The Great came to mind before Parr or Howard, I guess.
Easiest FJ of the week so far... :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I put Aristotle for FJ. I'm constantly getting Aristotle and Socrates confused.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

From yesterday's thread:
talkingaway wrote:Also, there's less to promote - anyone planning on taking a Viking River Cruise this spring? Or seeing the Tonys broadcast live on CBS on the....wheneverth? Or catching the latest film from Sony Pictures?
I thought about this with the clue promoting "Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone" today (although that's a Paramount release). A little bit bold in 2020 to predict that the release date of an upcoming movie will stay put, although I guess since they were always planning a simultaneous theatrical and video-on-demand release, the date was going to stay as December 8th even if all movie theaters were closed. (As it is, about 60% of indoor movie theaters in the U.S. are closed right now.)
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Golf wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:19 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:50 pm Thanks, didn’t catch that. I would have considered not adding the dollar in that scenario.
From the lead you have to add the dollar because 2nd recklessly goes all in frequently therefore it rarely matters on a TS. From 2nd you don't add the dollar because you'd much rather have a buzzer race with 3rd place instead of 1st place.

FJ reminds me of one of my favorite movie quotes --- I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said "I drank what?".
Even with second, I am not sure it is as easy as this. I think that for many, it would be more painful to get the final right and still lose on a tiebreaker, than to lose after getting it wrong, even if on a tiebreaker.

In this game that is especially relevant, because while third held back $1,000, it would have been perfectly rational to wager everything, since he could not win on a triple stumper anyway (unless the leader greatly overbet beyond simply rounding up to the next thousand, which happens, but not very often).

It is very different in that respect from these games, in which third place could have easily won the triple stumper with savvier wagering :
1/13/2013, Kristin Morgan's third game (I love the blurb in FJ, it sounds much more fun that the current ending would be)
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4055
10/18/2011, the first tie in over two years at the time
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3740
9/18/2007, no tie, because both and second AND third threw the game away (and it supports your point about first).
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2067

But, I don't know, I guess you can argue both sides. What I am sure we can agree the tiebreaker makes this situation much more difficult than before.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Napoleon Complex for $400 was a clunker. How should I know that was a church?

Got all but Frampton in Live Albums. "Frampton Comes Alive" was too far back to surface in time.

Had some real brain sluggishness today:

Founding Fathers: too slow on "books" at $200, clammed on $400, got the next two.

Animals: Said buck at $200, and thought a boar was a different animal entirely, but got the next three.

Words That Should Rhyme: brainfart on "alone", and couldn't come up with a synonym for forehead.

0/5 in Geographic Fours. Stupidly said NV instead of CO for the Four Corners states.

Also 0/5 in Napoleon and Energy.

No guess on FJ! I couldn't tell you thing one about Socrates.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mjhunt wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:00 am
Golf wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:19 pm

Even with second, I am not sure it is as easy as this. I think that for many, it would be more painful to get the final right and still lose on a tiebreaker, than to lose after getting it wrong, even if on a tiebreaker.

In this game that is especially relevant, because while third held back $1,000, it would have been perfectly rational to wager everything, since he could not win on a triple stumper anyway (unless the leader greatly overbet beyond simply rounding up to the next thousand, which happens, but not very often).

It is very different in that respect from these games, in which third place could have easily won the triple stumper with savvier wagering :
1/13/2013, Kristin Morgan's third game (I love the blurb in FJ, it sounds much more fun that the current ending would be)
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4055
10/18/2011, the first tie in over two years at the time
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3740
9/18/2007, no tie, because both and second AND third threw the game away (and it supports your point about first).
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2067

But, I don't know, I guess you can argue both sides. What I am sure we can agree the tiebreaker makes this situation much more difficult than before.
Third place should have won all three of those games.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

georgespelvin wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:52 pm I almost never post here anymore, but I do have to drop in and say that I pre-called the $2,000 clue in "Live Albums" tonight. When the category was shown, I turned to my wife and said, "well after all these years Peter Frampton has got to be a $2,000 clue now". :lol:
I was moderating for the History Bowl last weekend for High School Varsity teams, and when this question came up, it was greeted with crickets, much to my surprise and dismay:

This man's father commanded US forces during the Gulf of Tonkin Incident. In the summer of 1965, this man's poetry impressed fellow UCLA cinematography student, Ray Manzarek, and they formed a band with a name inspired by Aldous Huxley's 1954 work about his psychedelic experiences. This man became one of the most influential singers and songwriters in history with number one hits such as "Hello, I Love You" and "Light My Fire." For ten points, name this man, known as the "Lizard King", who fronted The Doors.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Picked Off »

Got to Socrates with 20 seconds to go and spent the remaining time fretting it would be Solon or Draco.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

georgespelvin wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:52 pm I almost never post here anymore, but I do have to drop in and say that I pre-called the $2,000 clue in "Live Albums" tonight. When the category was shown, I turned to my wife and said, "well after all these years Peter Frampton has got to be a $2,000 clue now". :lol:
In the "I'm old" category, if you ask me to name a famous live album, that's the first one I think of, probably because of the title. It's not "X Live" or "X Live at Y".

And I thought of how clue values change over time as the clue came up, as well - I figured it might be around a second row clue when Alex-era J! first came out. In season 1, that clue would have been about as dated as "Call Me, Maybe" is today.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:22 pm A lot of relevant and interesting tweets from Cody: https://twitter.com/cody___lawrence
Seconded! Catnip for J! wannabes
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t do Twitter, but I enjoyed reading his stream of consciousness. Seems like a nice guy.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:38 am
In the "I'm old" category, if you ask me to name a famous live album, that's the first one I think of, probably because of the title. It's not "X Live" or "X Live at Y".

And I thought of how clue values change over time as the clue came up, as well - I figured it might be around a second row clue when Alex-era J! first came out. In season 1, that clue would have been about as dated as "Call Me, Maybe" is today.
4/5 in the category, clamming on Linkin Park, which is of course the newest one in the category. :old:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:34 pm FJ: 95% confident it was Socrates
I'll take the reciprocal. Socrates was the only "ancient" who came quickly to mind as having been famously tried and sentenced, but I only had about 5% confidence.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.