Tuesday, December 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILER

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:12 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:34 pm FJ: 95% confident it was Socrates
I'll take the reciprocal. Socrates was the only "ancient" who came quickly to mind as having been famously tried and sentenced, but I only had about 5% confidence.
Wouldn't the reciprocal be 100/95?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Another missed opportunity for a contestant to respond, "Who?"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:28 pm
I'll take the reciprocal. Socrates was the only "ancient" who came quickly to mind as having been famously tried and sentenced, but I only had about 5% confidence.
Yes. Maybe the inverse? Or the opposite? Or the remaining chances? Reciprocal is incorrect, but I'm not sure how to phrase it more clearly.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:41 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:28 pm
Yes. Maybe the inverse? Or the opposite? Or the remaining chances? Reciprocal is incorrect, but I'm not sure how to phrase it more clearly.
I think the term you are looking for is 'complement'.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Could not resist:
Spoiler
Jesus Christ!
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:41 am This man's father commanded US forces during the Gulf of Tonkin Incident. In the summer of 1965, this man's poetry impressed fellow UCLA cinematography student, Ray Manzarek, and they formed a band with a name inspired by Aldous Huxley's 1954 work about his psychedelic experiences. This man became one of the most influential singers and songwriters in history with number one hits such as "Hello, I Love You" and "Light My Fire." For ten points, name this man, known as the "Lizard King", who fronted The Doors.
Who is Mr. Mojo Risin?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Hawkman was only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (William & Mary), Lerner & Lowe, Church, Vein & Protein, (Thermodynamics), Flywheel, Josephine, *J.K. Rowling*, Peter Frampton, Robert Ludlum

If you ask me how I knew Peter Frampton, my Dad used to play his songs a lot when I was little.
Douglas Squasoni
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

I will quibble with the wording of the $800 clues in Live Albums: on Live at Leeds, the “My Generation” track is a medley where the band revisits parts of Tommy as well as improvises long sequences, but “Magic Bus” is a separate track, not part of the extended “My Generation” medley. “My Generation” has a definite end with audience applause, and you can hear Pete Townshend introducing “Magic Bus” before the band starts playing. And “Magic Bus” is not itself a medley, although it departs substantially from the studio track; rock journalist Dave Marsh described the Live at Leeds version as “Bo Diddley on LSD and nitromethane.”

Otherwise, I was pleased with how the clue described Live at Leeds; it is indeed one of the very best live albums ever made, and is indisputably live, not recut in the studio like the topic of the $2000 clue.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Caboom wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:16 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:44 pm 13th game in a row with all clues played.
Came here to note this as well. I wonder what's the record?
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:45 pm January 24, 2005 (two unrevealed DJ! clues): http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=117
All boards were cleared between then and...
May 27, 2005 (three unrevealed DJ! clues): http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=337
It should be noted that this span covered a Teen Tournament (where the QF boards are guaranteed to be cleared) and the ensuing UToC (which I noted earlier this year had no unrevealed clues). The next longest streak that I could find is 41, all regular-play games, running from May 31, 2002 to the end of the season plus the first week of Season 19.

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:18 pm Precalled (or pre-thought) the U-CAN states for the four corners, but didn't think they'd ask for all four! That's a mouthful, but I guess the judges give a reasonable amount of extra time. Have they ever asked for five (or more!) items in a clue? [...]
There have been clues asking for all five Great Lakes, all five vowels in reverse order, the five Ws of journalism, the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council, the six states that make up New England, and the seven letters that represents notes in musical notation.

nserven wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:09 pm Has there even been a FJ that ended in an exclamation point (that wasn't quoting someone else's words)? Seemed like an added bit of cheekiness from the writers.
The Archive contains nearly 7,800 Final Jeopardy! clues and this is indeed the first one of them to end in an exclamation point. The one from July 23, 2018 had a similar bit of playful writing and as a result is one of the few FJ "answers" to have ever ended in a question mark!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

cheezguyty wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:35 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:18 pm Precalled (or pre-thought) the U-CAN states for the four corners, but didn't think they'd ask for all four! That's a mouthful, but I guess the judges give a reasonable amount of extra time. Have they ever asked for five (or more!) items in a clue? [...]
There have been clues asking for all five Great Lakes, all five vowels in reverse order, the five Ws of journalism, the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council, the six states that make up New England, and the seven letters that represents notes in musical notation.
Cool, thanks for the trivia! The vowels just seems like a concentration trick that can be done quickly, and the 5 Ws are almost rotely drilled into every elementary school kid's vocab to the point where it's almost one word - whowhatwherewhenwhy. I guess you just have to be careful not to tack on "how" - or to tack on an "H" to the musical notes.

But the others are a little bit trickier. HOMES for the Great Lakes is commonly known, but it takes a little bit of mental time to unpack the mnemonic. But the five UN security council members and the six New England states? I mean, not tough if you have 30 seconds to write it down. But doing that out loud while watching my life meter in front of me drain away? That would be nerve-racking.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

I should have pointed out that the Security Council and New England clues were both Daily Doubles and were from the early seasons of the show, as were most of those examples. The only five-part response that they've asked for during the last fifteen years has been the five Ws.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

cheezguyty wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:35 pmJuly 23, 2018 ... is one of the few FJ "answers" to have ever ended in a question mark!
Here's the only other one in the Archive.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I feel like I know the name "John Vigna" from somewhere and I can't place where...

"Let's get it on." OK, Alex

One of my grad school roommates would have killed me if I didn't get William & Mary

Gilbert & Sullivan for "Pirates of Penzance" at $1000 has to set a record for overvaluedness

I'm curious if the way the clue emphasized "U" drew anyone to Burmese instead of Urdu

Surprised no one picked up on the implication of "Magdalene" for a church

I'd be inclined to suggest that Peter Frampton for "Comes Alive" would break the record set earlier in this episode by G&S, but apparently it's a TS so...

Could you just say "The Who?"

Coryat: $40,000 on the nose

J: 24R3P3W. Got DD. 5/5 on Web, Fours, and Collabs. 4/5 on Founding Fathers. 2/5 on Entertainment. I said "buck" instead of "stag" and, like Kristen, "hog" for "boar."

DJ: 23R7P. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Languages and Napoleon Complex, 4/5 on Energy, Albums, and Alma Maters. 1/5 on Rhymes (in most cases I got one but couldn't come up with the other, but I was able to put together "peat" and "threat").

FJ: Instaget. One of my favorite stories.

LT: Lerner & Lowe, church, flywheel, Josephine, Peter Frampton
Last edited by Euphonium on Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:26 am I thought Napoleon Complex for $400 was a clunker. How should I know that was a church?
"Magdalene" can at least bring you around to the life of Jesus, and from there what modern buildings do you associate with Jesus?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:26 am I thought Napoleon Complex for $400 was a clunker. How should I know that was a church?
"Magdalene" can at least bring you around to the life of Jesus, and from there what modern buildings do you associate with Jesus?

That's a lot of hoops to jump through in the top box.