Wednesday, December 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:16 am
For FJ!, I went with London, but I was really distracted with Thoreau. Walden is a perennial J! favorite, but the clue seemed almost a little too...violent? Active? I think of Thoreau and Walden as much more calm, serene, and optimistic, but I haven't read either author, except perhaps in an excerpt. Call of the Wild could be another case of J! loving multi-media clues, since a movie version was released just before the pandemic.

There is a howl in Walden...from a loon...
he uttered a long-drawn unearthly howl, probably more like that of a wolf than any bird; as when a beast puts his muzzle to the ground and deliberately howls. This was his looning,—perhaps the wildest sound that is ever heard here, making the woods ring far and wide. I concluded that he laughed in derision of my efforts, confident of his own resources.
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/205/205-h/205-h.htm
This could actually make a good FJ someday.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Catch-22), Inexcusable, Helen Mirren, Hamburg, (The Mirror)
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp Player(2014-2021): 133k games
Sporcle: LucSnoVix
Alpaca Farm: DouglasLovesVixey
#1 in Alpaca Farm Quizzes participated(1651 Quizzes).

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

For once I heard a FJ clue calling out to me, loud and clear. Wrote down London and had 25+ seconds in which to second-guess myself, but I stuck with the right one.

:mrgreen:

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

davey wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:01 pm
econgator wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:11 am
davey wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 am
A clue that confused me on this show: During The Renaissance for $800. When Alex gave the name of the city "in Italian," I assumed that he was using a heavy "Italian" accent, as he was wont to do, to say "Mantua" - never knew there was a v in it. So i couldn't tell what he was asking for... :oops:
He was saying its Italian name, Mantova.
Yes, that's something I learned yesterday...I wonder if anyone else was confused by it... :)
Didn't even need the Mantova part. As I mentioned previously, Isabella d'Este is one of my favorites.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5381&p=316985#p316985
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp Player(2014-2021): 133k games
Sporcle: LucSnoVix
Alpaca Farm: DouglasLovesVixey
#1 in Alpaca Farm Quizzes participated(1651 Quizzes).

Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Apparently, my poor knowledge of literature is worse than I thought. Many people, including the contestants found the answer pretty easy. But what gets me worried is when TPH calls it an instaget. Good for him! Not so good for me. :oops:

I guess I'll have to let google start answering the response. Who is Jack London?
--Peter

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Peter the accountant wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:34 pm

But what gets me worried is when TPH calls it an instaget. Good for him! Not so good for me. :oops:
Hammer does not have a good sense of what he doesn't know. Therefore his saying something is obvious is not an indictment of your caution.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:16 am
Peter the accountant wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:34 pm

But what gets me worried is when TPH calls it an instaget. Good for him! Not so good for me. :oops:
Hammer does not have a good sense of what he doesn't know. Therefore his saying something is obvious is not an indictment of your caution.
I think he's got a fine sense of what he doesn't know; it's his sense of whether a correct response will be something he doesn't know that's lacking.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:35 am
I think he's got a fine sense of what he doesn't know; it's his sense of whether a correct response will be something he doesn't know that's lacking.
Combined with all the things that completely fall back out of my head after the 10,000th time I've tried to learn them (e.g., which planet is the biggest)...
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:38 am
Combined with all the things that completely fall back out of my head after the 10,000th time I've tried to learn them (e.g., which planet is the biggest)...
All I know for sure is that you have an admirable ability to persevere when faced with a task that is difficult for you. Some people have an uncanny ability to remember little facts like this. Some don't. To keep working on your ability to remember trivia when it's hard for you to do is something to admire.

PS - It's Jupiter.

PPS - I can't remember music the way you can, so don't belittle the skills you DO have.
--Peter

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:38 am
seaborgium wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:35 am
Each time you type out "which planet is biggest", look it up and type it in (Jupiter). Do that ten times. As my wife would say, "Say it ten times and its yours."
OCSam

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:30 pm
Each time you type out "which planet is biggest", look it up and type it in (Jupiter). Do that ten times. As my wife would say, "Say it ten times and its yours."
I actually do look it up every time and it STILL falls back out of my head three seconds later.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

That's some catch...

I blurted out "Phrygian" and couldn't come up with "Chaperone" in time"

Python and Perl are roughly the same age, but it's always seemed like Python was the hip new up-and-comer while Perl is old and crufty

I've long thought that Grand Funk Railroad was the Holy Roman Empire of rock bands

Really sorry to see Kristen go so soon. She's a fellow UC system history grad student, I was rooting for her hard.

Coryat: $40,600

J: 24R4P2W. Got DD. 5/5 on Languages and Ken, 4/5 on Counties and People.

DJ: 25R5P. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Trip, Botany, and Latin. 4/5 on Newspapers and Renaissance. 2/5 on Tony Winners.

FJ: Instaget. I think this would be one of the easier ones in a while.

LT: Hamburg
Last edited by Euphonium on Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are zero decent, moral people who support the death penalty.

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

alietr wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:19 am
I gotta say, I like Ken, but him reading these categories isn't giving me confidence in how he'll do as host. Alex was just so natural at it. I guess we shall see.
As someone who has...issues...with this sort of thing, but is in a field where it's expected that you do it regularly, I'm told that I look a lot more comfortable behind a podium than not. I just don't know what to do with my hands, Ken seemed to be having the same issue, and as host he'll have the podium plus actual things he has to do with his hand (mark off clues, operate the timeout, etc.).
There are zero decent, moral people who support the death penalty.

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

davey wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:01 pm
econgator wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:11 am
davey wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:56 am
A clue that confused me on this show: During The Renaissance for $800. When Alex gave the name of the city "in Italian," I assumed that he was using a heavy "Italian" accent, as he was wont to do, to say "Mantua" - never knew there was a v in it. So i couldn't tell what he was asking for... :oops:
He was saying its Italian name, Mantova.
Yes, that's something I learned yesterday...I wonder if anyone else was confused by it... :)
Yes I was confused by it. It's a peculiar type of clue because the Italian and the English names are so close. It would be like "This city is called Genève in French."

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

I just came here to say that I have a weird brain for catching this type of thing