Thursday, December 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Once a residence of rulers of Austria, this city on the Danube less than 20 miles from Vienna became a national capital in 1993

Kendra Blanchette: 20200-6000=14200 (2x = $40,601)
Gabriel DeRoche: 1800-1785=15
Becca Jones: 7000-3000=4000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Bratislava (Kendra – Sarajevo) (Gabriel – Salzburg) (Becca – Salzburg)

Daily Doubles
Kendra: 800+1000
Becca: 6000-3000
Becca: 3000+2000

Coryats
Kendra: 20200
Gabriel: 1800
Becca: 10000

Combined: 32,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kendra: 7800
Gabriel: 1800
Becca: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex opened with a comment about different champs each day this week. Like jinxing someone with a KJ comparison this worked in the other way that of course Kendra won the game from the one slot.

Sometimes clues are so easy they can't be properly processed as I joined the players in being stumped by Minnie Pearl's hat. Oh, duh, that's what it is of course.

Yesterday I had hopes that someone could match me on my FJ! clue miss. Today I have no such hope. I was stumped on the clue and just before the music ended I scribbled Minsk for something I could write quickly.

During think time I only managed connecting dots of A to B for the break up of Czechoslovakia. Prague was already national capital, so out. Going B to C for the solve seems so easy after the fact and I never did it. River routes? Not for me.

Now it can be said that on Monday I knew Kendra won today as the promo for the week showed her at the champ's spot facing the Friday challengers. It should not be that hard to make a little spot to highlight this week that does not give away multiple results.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Much better today and done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6889

Not enough trash for a true 4th podium victory while you can get 7100+ to get above Kendra's finishing total.

GAMES SHOWS finished last? Booo!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: all of J! except All Roads, Game Shows
DD: :) :) :| had nothing.
Joined Mark in not processing what the writers wanted for Minnie Pearl's hat. :?
Trash: Jimi Hendrix, seedless, Marcus Aurelius, Beat Shazam, The Day of the Locust
FJ: Wandered around ex-Yugoslavia, then got to Bratislava in time. :mrgreen:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $39,000 (48R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Mather was my first DD miss in two weeks, and shoulda had it. Couldn't get Williams out of my head.

Had a hard time with AWWW... maybe being able to see the photos would have helped (?)

NHO any of that Shazam stuff.

FJ: new national capital, Europe, 1993, done.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I guess I’ll be the nitpicker on FJ. While I got it, I was very surprised at the claim that the cities were less than 20 miles apart. A company I worked for had offices in both cities and multiple people have told me they are about an hour apart by car, or about 50-60 miles by road. Even googling around on the straight line distance I don’t get less than about 35 miles.

Regardless of the real distance, it doesn’t affect the answer.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Knew FJ cold.

Could NOT believe that two people said "Salzburg" which is STILL IN AUSTRIA!!!!

PS: FJ! in OKC was pre-empted due to a COVID-19 related press conference by Gov. Kevin Stitt (R). Not for the first time, unfortunately.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew the city, my only concern was spelling it correctly. Unfortunately, I wrote down Bratslava.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Leander wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:11 pm I guess I’ll be the nitpicker on FJ. While I got it, I was very surprised at the claim that the cities were less than 20 miles apart. A company I worked for had offices in both cities and multiple people have told me they are about an hour apart by car, or about 50-60 miles by road. Even googling around on the straight line distance I don’t get less than about 35 miles.

Regardless of the real distance, it doesn’t affect the answer.
Just did my own Google distance measurement. The closest part of Vienna's city limits is 19 miles as the crow flies from the closest part of Bratislava's city limits. So the writers are technically correct, even though for all practical purposes you are correct.
brick

Post by brick »

There’s a light blue... box? affixed to the back of Kendra’s left bicep. Maybe one inch square. Anyone have an idea what that is?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:58 pm Could NOT believe that two people said "Salzburg" which is STILL IN AUSTRIA!!!!
And also not a national capital.

I know the capitals on the Danube are the 3 B's (Budapest, Belgrade, Bratislava) and Vienna. I picked the wrong B -- Budapest.

Also ... are navel oranges really know for being seedless? Seems a bit of a reach for a $400 clue. Grapes, sure. Poll maybe?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

brick wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:15 pm There’s a light blue... box? affixed to the back of Kendra’s left bicep. Maybe one inch square. Anyone have an idea what that is?
My first choice would be a glucose monitor.

My second choice would be a transmitter that allowed comrades off set to hear the clues live and then transmit correct responses to Kendra in time to ring in. (Oh, wait that was an episode of Bilko.)

poll request seen: I got it only because of sniffing out where the the -ss ending was going.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The Playshow Jeopardy! game ad before Final featured one of the real responses in today's game, "What is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?"
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bratislava is also notable for bordering, or very nearly bordering, two foreign countries.

Is it now called the "Wayne Brady paradox"? I may need to update my files.

I needed more verbiage to get "flavor profile" but I found the other four clues excessive in their prolixity.

Could they not have written Alex one more "Rrrrrobbie Burrrns" for the road? I do give the writers props for learning the meaning of "supergroup" since the October 12 show ("Cat's Entertainment", 1600).

I'm mildly curious about "Cavalier King Charles spaniel" (Awww inspiring, $400). Is it a famous breed, or are we expected to know what a spaniel looks like?
I'm smart and I want respect.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

No clue on FJ!. Just scribbled down Luxembourg, figuring 100% that it was wrong.

I could only pull "Played sax at the end of Lady Gaga's 'Edge of Glory'" for Clarence Clemons. If it had been a few years ago, right after he died, I might have remembered his name.

How did I miss Abbey Road? I could picture the cover, and I can recognize Beatles albums...although I missed Sgt. Pepper yesterday. Speaking of which, I noticed J! had been skipping the Beatles over the course of season 36, relative to their success.....perhaps they're making up for lost time.

For some reason, when Alex said "bugs" on the anteater clue, Bugs Bunny was triggered in my head....but I got responded anteater regardless.

For the WWTBAM clue about the ATA audience, I would be tempted to respond, "Where is the audience?"

Anyone else hear "A Joy Luck Club" instead of "THE Joy Luck Club?" I rewound it, and still heard it...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:11 pm Anyone else hear "A Joy Luck Club" instead of "THE Joy Luck Club?" I rewound it, and still heard it...
Leading article is irrelevant in most all cases.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:32 pm Also ... are navel oranges really know for being seedless?
That's pretty much the only thing they are known for, as far as I'm aware.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Yesterday I had hopes that someone could match me on my FJ! clue miss. Today I have no such hope. I was stumped on the clue and just before the music ended I scribbled Minsk for something I could write quickly.

I don't think Minsk is such a bad guess, as the country declared it's independence two years before. While I got the FJ, it was far from an instaget. I also don't know that I could've solved it under the lights.