Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cheezguyty »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm
I question the writers' assertion that the film title How Green Was My Valley is a question. Not only is there no question mark in the title (as there were in the category's other correct responses), but also the phrase is not expressed as a query in the film. It's an expression of fond remembrance and quality along the lines of "How lovely was her voice!" or "What a great play!"
Beat me to it.
mas3cf wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:01 pm
DBear wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Would auto racing have been sufficient for NASCAR? :?:
If I were a judge, it would be BMS. Joe Gibbs is in the NASCAR HoF, not any other HoF with "Auto Racing" in its name.
The category was asking for a sport, not the name of the hall of fame.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

cheezguyty wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:25 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:01 pm
DBear wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Would auto racing have been sufficient for NASCAR? :?:
If I were a judge, it would be BMS. Joe Gibbs is in the NASCAR HoF, not any HoF with "Auto Racing" in its name.
The category was asking for a sport, not the name of the hall of fame.
NASCAR is a type of auto racing, hence the BMS.

An analogy would be if someone said "Football Hall of Fame" for "College Football Hall of Fame".... you'd have to BMS.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10554
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:32 pm
cheezguyty wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:25 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:01 pm
DBear wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Would auto racing have been sufficient for NASCAR? :?:
If I were a judge, it would be BMS. Joe Gibbs is in the NASCAR HoF, not any HoF with "Auto Racing" in its name.
The category was asking for a sport, not the name of the hall of fame.
NASCAR is a type of auto racing, hence the BMS.

An analogy would be if someone said "Football Hall of Fame" for "College Football Hall of Fame".... you'd have to BMS.
So should they have BMSed when the player said football? The people in the answer are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The College Football HOF is in Atlanta.

Appomattox should not have been accepted for where Lee surrendered.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:32 pm
cheezguyty wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:25 pm
mas3cf wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:01 pm
DBear wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Would auto racing have been sufficient for NASCAR? :?:
If I were a judge, it would be BMS. Joe Gibbs is in the NASCAR HoF, not any HoF with "Auto Racing" in its name.
The category was asking for a sport, not the name of the hall of fame.
NASCAR is a type of auto racing, hence the BMS.

An analogy would be if someone said "Football Hall of Fame" for "College Football Hall of Fame".... you'd have to BMS.
So should they have BMSed when the player said football? The people in the answer are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. The College Football HOF is in Atlanta.
Technically, yes. But the analogy isn't perfect - NASCAR is more different from other types of auto racing than pro football is from other types of football.

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1121
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm
Appomattox should not have been accepted for where Lee surrendered.
Why not?

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9237
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

mas3cf wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:49 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:43 pm
Appomattox should not have been accepted for where Lee surrendered.
Why not?
Because the McLean house is in the village of Appomattox Court House, not Appomattox (which is a few miles to the west).

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7474
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:48 pm
People looking for differences in phraseology will be happy how one movie response was framed.
But as alluded to elsewhere, the title Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not a question. So her response was technically not in the form of a question.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4887
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:48 pm
People looking for differences in phraseology will be happy how one movie response was framed.
But as alluded to elsewhere, the title Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not a question. So her response was technically not in the form of a question.
It is a question, it's just missing the question mark. From a 1989 NYT article:
As it happened, I asked that very question of the movie's director, Robert Zemeckis. He replied that it had one until the people at Walt Disney Pictures, the film's distributor, informed him that movie titles never contained punctuation.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8291
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:48 pm
People looking for differences in phraseology will be happy how one movie response was framed.
But as alluded to elsewhere, the title Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not a question. So her response was technically not in the form of a question.
But the category specified that the title was a question, so the error was theirs and her response was correct by their own pre-ruling. What bugged me was that the clue didn't actually call for the title, but for the character named within the title. I'm not saying her response shouldn't have been accepted. Precedent allows her to give extra info as long as that info is correct and the correct response is somewhere in there. It's just sad that the one case where a contestant took advantage of the fact that the title was (by the writers' lights) already a question, the clue wasn't actually asking for that question and the whole thing came off clunky.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8291
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:37 pm
Since, evidently, none of the three knew the answer to FJ, I'm disappointed none said "I don't know what it is, but it is gonna be great".
:lol:

I paused the game as per usual before the reveal so Mrs P and I could compare guesses. Her guess was the correct one. I responded, "Could be. Who knows?"

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7552
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm
Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 1981? :lol:
She had argued before SCOTUS in the early 70s and was appointed to the DC Appeals Court in 1980. Born only three years after O'Connor, too.
Not that awful a guess.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:09 pm
Anyone here ever heard of Diana Nyad? Name rings 0 bells.
If you had asked me 5-7 years ago, yep. Today, that's a pretty deep cut.

Got FJ solely on the knowledge of the movie remake. Spielberg directed...and apparently shooting finished -last freaking year-
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ed-1244911
Apparently it was planned to come out, well, now. Guess stuff happened.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Green Room (8), Showgirls (6), Free State of Jones (6), Captain Fantastic (9)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7330
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:48 pm
People looking for differences in phraseology will be happy how one movie response was framed.
But as alluded to elsewhere, the title Who Framed Roger Rabbit is not a question. So her response was technically not in the form of a question.
Of course it's in the form of a question. It's in the phrasing, not the question mark.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7330
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Total blank on FJ. I know "Jet Song," "Maria," "Tonight," "America," "I Feel Pretty," and "Gee, Officer Krupke," none of which did me any good.

Did anyone else notice the extra large line spacing on the COLORFUL VERBS category screen?

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cinemaniax7 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:57 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm
I question the writers' assertion that the film title How Green Was My Valley is a question. Not only is there no question mark in the title (as there were in the category's other correct responses), but also the phrase is not expressed as a query in the film. It's an expression of fond remembrance and quality along the lines of "How lovely was her voice!" or "What a great play!"
First two have them, last three do not.
Nevertheless, the other four titles were clearly intended by the filmmakers to be questions.

User avatar
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 pm

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by rockyboy34 »

Blech, not a good end to this week.

2/10
I’ve made a new life over here.

https://tripleatpir.wordpress.com/

User avatar
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:57 pm
Location: Simpsonville, SC

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by SBurrus »

Got 36R...2W...waffled on a couple of others I thought were right but didn't answer...and missed FJ. For the first time in a long time, I got all 3 DD correct.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

Kristen was a delightful contestant so it was tough to see her blow what should have been a default win on a TS Final.

On the other hand, I warmed to Kate when it was revealed that she was a hockey fan/player. And she has such a calm demeanor and confidence when she responds to clues. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1701
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Movie title questions

Post by Category 13 »

Xu Donym wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote: I question the writers' assertion that the film title How Green Was My Valley is a question. Not only is there no question mark in the title (as there were in the category's other correct responses), but also the phrase is not expressed as a query in the film. It's an expression of fond remembrance and quality along the lines of "How lovely was her voice!" or "What a great play!"
My count is 2/5 of the movies have the question mark, when archiving the category.
I concur. And again I'm finding myself frightened for the future of our beloved show. Alex Trebek developed a unique gravitas as host, which befitted the excellence of the well-prepared clues over many decades of the show. He rose to their level and they rose to his. A new host won't necessarily start with that gravitas, so if the quality of clue preparation continues to decline as seems to have been the case in recent months, Jeopardy! may become just another run-of-the-mill quiz show with a not very authoritative host delivering not very authoritative clues.
It should be noted that Alex Trebek has mentioned at least once on past episodes that HGWMV is his all time favorite film.
I suspect that he wanted to give it one last Jeopardy! nod, before his time was up. Knowing that we are watching his final string of games, this came to mind as soon as I saw the clue.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4241
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

The 2020 revival of West Side Story was featured on 60 Minutes in February shortly before it opened, and I believe the piece has been repeated since then. It mentioned the upcoming movie by Spielberg too. I think that an appearance on 60 Minutes is a good threshold for current awareness. (It was the No. 1 show in weekly ratings as recently as October!)
"Something's Coming" has been my favorite song from the score since I was given the movie album as a child, years before I ever had a chance to see it...
I'm not too bothered by the How Green Was My Valley flap. It's not consistent with the meaning (no question!), but it has the form of a question...Maybe that was the point the writers were making. No fear, none of the players took the bait, anyway!

goongas
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by goongas »

I only got FJ from the movie is coming clue, and Broadway is my best category. Something's Coming is a deeper cut for a song from West Side Story. When I relistened to the song, I do recognize it from being from the show...

Universal has been rumored to be making the Wicked movie for years. It eventually will be made. (Wicked was still in its original run, it never has been revived). In the Heights is going to be released next year in theaters and on HBO Max simultaneously.

Post Reply