Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY REVIVALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Ads for the 2020 revival of this musical said "Something’s coming. Something good"; a new movie version is also coming

Kendra Blanchette: 9200-5500=3700
Nizar Abdalla: 1800-1785=15
Kate Freeman: 12000-6401=5599 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
West Side Story (Kendra – Sweet Charity) (Nizar – Wicked) (Kate – Wicked)

Daily Doubles
Kendra: 4400-1000
Nizar: 3800-2000
Nizar: 3800-2000

Coryats
Kendra: 10200
Nizar: 5800
Kate: 12000

Combined: 28,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kendra: 4800
Nizar: 1800
Kate: 3600
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If Alex talks to you about photographic memory, you're done.

People looking for differences in phraseology will be happy how one movie response was framed.

The players were 0/6 on the wagering clues so no surprise the Coryat was under 30,000 while a little better remembering on the verdant movie title and Swift place could have helped the total.

The FJ! category had me think Chicago or Oklahoma! while the clue had me take the hammer with no response. I vaguely recall hearing about the new version while it was not on my radar today. "Something's Coming" will make it a snap for some while I don't know that one. A little more hand holding with perhaps another song hint and I could get it.

As for paying dues I've never seen more than bits & pieces of the 1961 film. Watching NBC's Broadway special last night did nothing to help. The writers and whatever combo of input from others are doing well in busting me on movie-related FJ! clues this season when I should be doing better on them.

Kendra in second was in position to win on a TS clue, while ignoring Kate and only betting to stay $100 above Nizar's possible 3600 was the TPIR game, "That's Too Much!"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another week done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6890

Another player finished with $15 for the second time this week.

cheezguyty: Do I need to take off a sock to count the number of $15 finishing total or fingers are enough.

Five new games left for 2020 then nine reruns to complete the calendar year.

Today's game was 8300 and the id number is 6890. Perhaps at some point we can get the total number of games missing from the archive under 1000?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Britspeak, Halls of Fame, Fictional Places, AP History, Colorful Verbs :)
DD: :D :D :D contestants took a bagel on them.
Trash: NASCAR, O'Connor DD, Ponce de Leon DD, Pompidou, Are We There Yet?, John Marshall, hydrangeas DD
Would auto racing have been sufficient for NASCAR? :?:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 1981? :lol:
FJ: Recognized "Something's Coming" as being from West Side Story. :mrgreen: Yes did a cover & released it as a single in their early days.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:48 pm Kendra in second was in position to win on a TS clue, while ignoring Kate and only betting to stay $100 above Nizar's possible 3600 was the TPIR game, "That's Too Much!"
I'm not a wagering pro. What should she have bet? $2,801 (win on TS with 'standard' wagers, but can also beat a $0 bet from the leader)?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $47,600 (52R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

Had my best DJ round of the season so far with 29/30, only miss was "Where'd You Go, Bernadette." Made up for a spotty J! round. No friggin' clue on FJ. Broadway standards are a gap in my knowledge that I'll be addressing soon.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mahatma wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:48 pm Kendra in second was in position to win on a TS clue, while ignoring Kate and only betting to stay $100 above Nizar's possible 3600 was the TPIR game, "That's Too Much!"
I'm not a wagering pro. What should she have bet? $2,801 (win on TS with 'standard' wagers, but can also beat a $0 bet from the leader)?
If you are in second place, you should compute the MSB (minimum shutout bet) for the leader. Then determine what the leader’s score will be if they get it wrong, or MSBIW. In this game, the leader’s MSBIW was $5,599. So second should bet to drop no lower than $5,600. (Or $5,601 in the unlikely event the leader offers a tie). So Kendra should have capped her bet at $3,600. It also beats a (very unlikely) zero bet from the leader. Third place was way behind so a small bet isn’t risky.

Sure, there will be times a leader doesn’t make the MSB, but a wager described above is what I would do.

No chance for me on FJ. I considered Wicked but decided that wasn’t it. Nothing else came to me so I wrote down Cats as time ran out just to have something.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:14 pm Another week done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6890

Another player finished with $15 for the second time this week.

cheezguyty: Do I need to take off a sock to count the number of $15 finishing total or fingers are enough.

Five new games left for 2020 then nine reruns to complete the calendar year.

Today's game was 8300 and the id number is 6890. Perhaps at some point we can get the total number of games missing from the archive under 1000?
Still over half of the pre-S13 games missing, not counting all the partials that are in the early years. Unless someone who was more obsessive than you about taping and saving games appears here, we have to hope for the launch of the Jeopardy channel to get many more of the missing games.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Since, evidently, none of the three knew the answer to FJ, I'm disappointed none said "I don't know what it is, but it is gonna be great".

Happy they added "humorously" to the Julia Child clue. I frequently miss out on humor because I'm not told it's there. I'm often thought of as dour and buttoned-down when I'm really quite jolly, bon viveur, and hail-fellow-well-met.

On which subject, the "Joan Rivers/comedian" clue had me wondering when was the last time the show used "comedienne" in a clue. Turns out it was way back in February.

Mildly annoyed at the word "to" being affixed to four clues in "colorful verbs". More faulty parallelism.

How many here were with me on "player piano fern"?
I'm smart and I want respect.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I question the writers' assertion that the film title How Green Was My Valley is a question. Not only is there no question mark in the title (as there were in the category's other correct responses), but also the phrase is not expressed as a query in the film. It's an expression of fond remembrance and quality along the lines of "How lovely was her voice!" or "What a great play!"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm I question the writers' assertion that the film title How Green Was My Valley is a question. Not only is there no question mark in the title (as there were in the category's other correct responses), but also the phrase is not expressed as a query in the film. It's an expression of fond remembrance and quality along the lines of "How lovely was her voice!" or "What a great play!"
My count is 2/5 of the movies have the question mark, when archiving the category.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:57 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm I question the writers' assertion that the film title How Green Was My Valley is a question. Not only is there no question mark in the title (as there were in the category's other correct responses), but also the phrase is not expressed as a query in the film. It's an expression of fond remembrance and quality along the lines of "How lovely was her voice!" or "What a great play!"
My count is 2/5 of the movies have the question mark, when archiving the category.
I concur. And again I'm finding myself frightened for the future of our beloved show. Alex Trebek developed a unique gravitas as host, which befitted the excellence of the well-prepared clues over many decades of the show. He rose to their level and they rose to his. A new host won't necessarily start with that gravitas, so if the quality of clue preparation continues to decline as seems to have been the case in recent months, Jeopardy! may become just another run-of-the-mill quiz show with a not very authoritative host delivering not very authoritative clues.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm Would auto racing have been sufficient for NASCAR? :?:
Can't see why not.

I had no clue they were doing a revival of West Side Story, but I've done it in community theater, so this was an instaget.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:57 pm
Yep. First two have them, last three do not.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm
If I were a judge, it would be BMS. Joe Gibbs is in the NASCAR HoF, not any other HoF with "Auto Racing" in its name.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Really not a quality game I must say, and I am a gentle critic as I know how difficult it can be to write trivia clues.

Anyone here ever heard of Diana Nyad? Name rings 0 bells.

Also caught the lack of actual questions in the film category and found it pretty sloppy. Meanwhile, you know PLANTS & FLOWERS have some seriously overvalued clues if I go 4/5, with a pure WECIB for the $2000 slot DD.

FJ was just no fun whatsoever. Pure YEKIOYD, and I didn't. Boo hiss another 2/5 week after averaging 4.33/5 for 5 straight weeks.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mahatma wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:20 pm
Yeah, anywhere between $2,801 and $3,600 wins on a TS or in the event Kate bets $0 and Kendra is correct. I guess the dear lady with the photographic memory ran out of film before she glanced at the lessons concerning "Wagering Strategy 101." Too bad, too. All she lost was the game and several thousand dollars today. Plus a chance to get into the J! Players HoF. Plus a shot at getting into the next ToC. Ouch.

LT: Driving/NASCAR, Diana Nayad, Ft. Worth, Are We There Yet, and John Marshall, plus all three DDs that the contestants missed.

Plus instaget FJ.

And yet, there I was watching at home on TV instead of at my own lectern. *deep sigh*
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:01 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm
If I were a judge, it would be BMS. Joe Gibbs is in the NASCAR HoF, not any other HoF with "Auto Racing" in its name.
There is an International Motorsports Hall of Fame. (Located not far from where I live). Darrell Waltrip is a member but Joe Gibbs is not.