Tuesday, December 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MAGAZINES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This magazine had the same person on its cover since its founding 20 years ago until it chose Breonna Taylor as its Sept. 2020 cover

Valerie Castelo: 7400+6601=14001
Margaret de Larios: 7000+3500=10500
Brayden Smith: 28200+2800=31000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
O (Note: you can add Oprah and/or Magazine to your correct response)

Daily Doubles
Brayden: 400+1000
Brayden: 9600+3500
Brayden: 13100+3500

Coryats
Valerie: 7400
Margaret: 7000
Brayden: 23800

Combined: 38,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Valerie: 3000
Margaret: 1400
Brayden: 7600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Brayden must have studied the DD heat chart as his first pick in the J! round was a DD. Brayden's first time calling a clue in the DJ! round? DD2. His follow up? DD3. Seek and ye shall find.

Brayden went 4/4 on wagering clues on his way to an easy romp.

Earlier this morning I got the categories from J6 that included NOT GONNA THROW AWAY and MY "SHOT" and afterwards for fun I listened to "My Shot" from Hamilton. There have been some J! players that could do themselves some good with listening to that song.

Brayden (with that spelling) will be the first player in the archive with that name. The closest I could find previously was a Braden from Kids Week in 2007.

Margaret's chat story was about being voted "most likely to appear on Jeopardy!" and I pegged her for third as like mentioning Mensa those kind of interesting tidbits tend not to fare well on the show.

The FJ! category had me precall some 4-letter mags and then Cosmo and Nat Geo.

The FJ! clue had me match Valerie's way of taking care of business quickly.

Great debut by Brayden with everything going his way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is finished: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6892

LSV will need to avoid a couple of landmines in REALITY TV if he wants a perfecto. The clue was enough to get the Hornsby instrument even if unfamiliar with the song.

Many more will get it as well of course, but we know we have one board member who has to get DD1 right.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $40,600 (42R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

$40k seemed high for only getting 42 right, so I had to triple-check my math. Strong DJ round is what did it. Got a bagel in the TV category, which is disappointing as I've been working hard to get my TV knowledge up to speed. Negged with Ben Franklin on $400 American History, but was there an image of Washington in the clue? If so, there is no doubt I would have recognized him - if not, that was a damn tricky top-row clue.

Hesitated a bit on FJ because I thought I remembered that magazine coming out when I was in HS and I graduated in 1998. Then I remembered all those years are blending together now and just went for it.
Last edited by mas3cf on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: My Shot, What Are the Odds?, American History
Daily Doubles: :( :D :D Bartleby the Scrivener is a blind spot..
trash: Mongol, mandolin.
FJ: Who would be rich & narcissistic enough to put out a magazine with their own picture on the cover for 20 years? ;) :mrgreen:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:33 pm ...
Negged with Ben Franklin on $400 American History, but was there an image of Washington in the clue? If so, there is no doubt I would have recognized him - if not, that was a damn tricky top-row clue.
Sarah in the empty crib, that's it, with no visual clue for the right guy. I also negged with BF. Good thing Brayden got it or Hammer would be making a federal case out of it.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Oprah won't cut it for FJ, would it? I would think not, since the name itself is specific. Sigh...
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:45 pm
Negged with Ben Franklin on $400 American History, but was there an image of Washington in the clue? If so, there is no doubt I would have recognized him - if not, that was a damn tricky top-row clue.
Sarah in the empty crib, that's it, with no visual clue for the right guy. I also negged with BF. Good thing Brayden got it or Hammer would be making a federal case out of it.
Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and make a poll request on this one. 1776 + Philadelphia + top row points pretty strongly to Franklin, I'd say!
ACW

Post by ACW »

Kinda amused the one guy won and knew the answer to FJ...then again, I'm a guy, and it's pretty much an instaget :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:13 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:45 pm
Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and make a poll request on this one. 1776 + Philadelphia + top row points pretty strongly to Franklin, I'd say!
Request seen. Today marks the third time for a Betsy Ross clue in association with GW while there are none for BR and BF. That's the lesson, I guess, and we'll see how many suckers join us for the neg. My instincts tell me I can't blame either Fox show with characters from the 1770s, Making History or Sleepy Hollow.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Not getting the confusion with George Washington. Wouldn't you expect the leader of the Continental Army to be the one asking a seamstress to design the flag? :?:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:33 pm Not getting the confusion with George Washington. Wouldn't you expect the leader of the Continental Army to be the one asking a seamstress to design the flag? :?:
Or someone involved in the drafting of the Declaration of Independence?

In any event, for a FJ, maybe I could see having a clue requiring this level of reasoning/guessing. For $400, it's a bit much, IMHO.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TriviaBug wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:00 pm Oprah won't cut it for FJ, would it? I would think not, since the name itself is specific. Sigh...
I agree that it would not.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was familiar with the story so I got Washington but I can see someone making the neg with Franklin.

The canned applause is one thing, but a laugh track?

Instaget FJ. I wasn’t 100% sure about the name so I held my breath with just O written down.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex taped his last episodes on October 29. When was this taped? Quick turnaround for a FJ clue.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:52 pm Brayden must have studied the DD heat chart as his first pick in the J! round was a DD. Brayden's first time calling a clue in the DJ! round? DD2. His follow up? DD3. Seek and ye shall find.
I wonder if this has happened before, going 3/3 for finding the DD on your first three picks.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Instaget FJ!. Ellen had a bit on her talk show back in 2008 where she campaigned nonstop to get on the cover of O Magazine - and she did, in 2009, with Oprah. The whole bit was centered around the fact that Oprah is the only one who ever appears on the cover, so it was an easy get. Plus, I actually remembered reading about Breonna Taylor appearing on O. I actually did my precalls this time - what a waste of time. I had Vogue, Ms/Steinem, TV Guide, People, Time, and Life.

I wonder if this clue was made before all the stories about the O issue came out? It's an ultra straightforward FJ! if you know the Breonna-on-O story, and it was pretty widely reported.

Clue erratta: Bob Harper did not become the host of the Biggest Loser when it moved from NBC to USA in 2020, as was implied in the clue. He was the host for the very last season on NBC, which aired in Jan/Feb of 2016.

I just said "Disney" for the 2012 no-beard policy clue, and the response of "Disneyland" made me wonder if I'd be BMSed into a literal coinflip between Land and World - there's no TOM to distinguish between the two, and no reason anyone should know whether one or the other changed policy. Fortunately, looking it up, the policy change applied to "Disney parks and resort employees", so I'm off the hook.

Put me down for Ben Franklin instead of George Washington. Philadelphia? Sure, I'll run headfirst into that trap. The time ins't a clue, as according to Wikipedia he would have been Postmaster General then, and got dispatched to France in December 1776.

I hate it when I whiff on a clue I should get. Thanks to Bruce -SPRINGSTEEN- being fresh in my mind from last week's SNL, I missed the chance to get a TS of Bruce Hornsby's "Mandolin Rain", which I would have gotten cold had I not miscued. Every other part of that clue was designed to distract me - had no idea a mandolin would be called "pear-shaped", didn't know it was a lute, and no clue about the Don Giovanni connection.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:39 pm Alex taped his last episodes on October 29. When was this taped? Quick turnaround for a FJ clue.
This week’s shows were taped on September 30.