Thursday, December 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, December 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

yclept wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:26 am
It is only three games, but this kid is impressive. My guess is that he probably listened to a Roger Craig lecture on Daily Double hunting, though his wagering isn’t quite as aggressive (to be fair, he is building up nice leads. I would like to see how he handles it if he hits DD-3 in a close game).
I know he was on his high school quiz team, so he definitely has some familiarity with this type of show.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:28 am
I don't notice much difference between vairsimilitude and versimilitude as far as detecting the number of syllables. It's likely most listeners would assume you're just slurring over the missing sound. I don't know about your dad or Kirk, but many J! players are imprecise in their diction. Brayden, for one.
I think once you've changed the sound of the first vowel of the word, you'll draw enough scrutiny to your pronunciation that they'll recognize the first i as having been dropped and not merely elided.

(I came to that while writing the below, and it seemed like a better point so I wanted to put it first, but I don't want to just delete everything else, so I've put it in spoiler tags instead.)
Spoiler
The end of the "air" phoneme, to my ears, is more capable of being ambiguous/hiding another syllable than "er." At least in my accent, I can easily imagine "scarce" and "Paris" rhyming in someone's natural speech than, say, "burst" and "jurist." Now, that last word has reminded me of "jurisdiction," whose first two syllables I can easily pronounce as one without sounding like I'm mispronouncing the word, but I think having a consonant after the S in that case helps the S become a syllable unto itself, whereas the S in "verisimilitude" begins a syllable. As a result, saying the "veris" like "verse" sounds less like the i is being elided and more like it's being dropped outright. (And I heard it right away as such when my dad said it, and he heard the difference when Alex said it.)

RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

cheezguyty wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 pm
Austin (Texas) & (Ginger) Rogers.
Show #7286 had a clue about Austin (Texas) immediately following a clue about (Buck) Rogers.

That game was the one where Buzzy Cohen (who beat Austin in the ToC) dethroned Andrew Pau (who lost to Austin in the ToC)! :o
LOVE this example of the outstanding mindblowing coincidences that fill our world.
(and of course, they're happening all the time so they shouldn't be so outstanding and mindblowing. Bravo for finding it!)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman

RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

RobW wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:57 pm
cheezguyty wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:56 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:48 pm
Austin (Texas) & (Ginger) Rogers.
Show #7286 had a clue about Austin (Texas) immediately following a clue about (Buck) Rogers.

That game was the one where Buzzy Cohen (who beat Austin in the ToC) dethroned Andrew Pau (who lost to Austin in the ToC)! :o
LOVE this example of the outstanding mindblowing coincidences that fill our world.
(and of course, they're happening all the time so they shouldn't be so outstanding and mindblowing. Bravo for finding it!)
obligatory relevant xkcd comic:
(hidden because it's SFW, but a large graphic)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman

AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AFRET CMS »

TriviaBug wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 pm
Congrats to Brayden, he looks good (touch wood).

The FJ would have played much better if the category name itself eliminated English plays. I can see people spending a lot time thinking of Shakespearean characters with an unusual face/nose/mouth given the language in the clue.
Got Cyrano pretty quickly, given his character's sensitivity to his unusual proboscis, but you make a good point. Bardolph in particular could be possible negbait, since "his face is all bubukles, and whelks, and knobs" and he was known to flourish his sword with not much provocation.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Audio Dramas $1200 and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Wheels, Victoria Falls, Quebec, Roach Motel, 409, Herbicide, Gravity's Rainbow, San Francisco
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp Player(2014-2021): 133k games
Sporcle: LucSnoVix
Alpaca Farm: DouglasLovesVixey
#1 in Alpaca Farm Quizzes participated(1651 Quizzes).

Euphonium
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Euphonium »

Giddy up, 409

*Reds* is an excellent film, btw

Ugh, guessed Dave Barry there

I haven't watched Friday yet, but it seems there's a real possibility that Brayden is the last champion of the Trebek era.

Coryat: $38,000

J: 27R2P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on Streaming, Prime, Flicks, and Pets. 4/5 on Common Bonds.

DJ: 23R5P2W. 2/2 on DDs. 5/5 on "Tude" and Archaeologists. 4/5 on First Words and 1800s. 2/5 on Man About Town (said Dave Barry for the Miami Herald one, and made a WAG of Denver instead of Seattle)

FJ: Thought Man in the Iron Mask, hit on Cyrano at the last possible second. Pleased to get a TS FJ.

LT: Victoria Falls, Quebec, Roach Motel, 409, herbicide, Nightvale, San Francisco
Last edited by Euphonium on Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are zero decent, moral people who support the death penalty.

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Leander wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:31 pm
This FJ is another opportunity to wonder if certain facts known to “older” people might be more obscure to the younger generation. Doubt that Cyrano is as well known as it used to be.
I'm 35, but I distinctly remember doing a lot with Cyrano in my HS French class and also seeing a Sesame Street segment that was a spoof of it (rather on the, um, "nose" with the character being named "Cyranose"). There was also a Seinfeld episode with a plot point loosely based on it.
There are zero decent, moral people who support the death penalty.

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Lefty wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:32 pm
Quite surprised to learn "adrenaline" was a trademark.
Actually no, it's "Adrenalin" (without the final e) that was, and still is, a trademark:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... /adrenalin
https://trademarks.corporationwiki.com/ ... /71011909/

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

About DD1, in the category AUTHORS & THEIR PETS, Of this author's dogs, Charley was a good boy, & Toby, who ate the first draft for "Of Mice & Men", was definitely a bad boy.

Is this a well known trivia nugget? It also appeared in prime-time WWTBAM the same week as being on Jeopardy!. For me it's Baader–Meinhof phenomenon.

davey

Post by davey »

Mathew5000 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:43 pm
About DD1, in the category AUTHORS & THEIR PETS, Of this author's dogs, Charley was a good boy, & Toby, who ate the first draft for "Of Mice & Men", was definitely a bad boy.

Is this a well known trivia nugget? It also appeared in prime-time WWTBAM the same week as being on Jeopardy!. For me it's Baader–Meinhof phenomenon.
No. What's well known is that Steinbeck wrote a nonfiction book called Travels With Charley. And of course, you didn't even have to know that to get the J! clue.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Mathew5000 wrote:
After Toby did that, Steinbeck hugged him and petted him and squeezed him...

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 pm
Mathew5000 wrote:

No. What's well known is that Steinbeck wrote a nonfiction book called Travels With Charley. And of course, you didn't even have to know that to get the J! clue.
Or the WWTBAM clue (either the Charley or Toby bits)
Spoiler
Only one of the four books was Steinbeck. (The others are Kerouac, Hemingway and Huxley)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Green Room (8), Showgirls (6), Free State of Jones (6), Captain Fantastic (9)

Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Volante wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:33 pm
davey wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:06 pm
Mathew5000 wrote:

Or the WWTBAM clue (either the Charley or Toby bits)
Spoiler
Only one of the four books was Steinbeck. (The others are Kerouac, Hemingway and Huxley)
Yes of course, the WWTBAM question alone would have been challenging, but when they revealed the four options it became super-easy. It just seems like a strange coincidence that both WWTBAM and Millionaire Jeopardy! would reference Toby eating the manuscript in episodes airing just a few days apart.
Last edited by Mathew5000 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

Oh no, Cyrano! Another FJ I wish they'd saved for me :(

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Mathew5000 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:38 pm
It just seems like a strange coincidence that both WWTBAM and Millionaire would reference Toby eating the manuscript in episodes airing just a few days apart.
This is far from the first time that essentially identical clues have appeared on WWTBAM and Millionaire. It's gotten so common that you can pretty much expect it.