Friday, December 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Friday, December 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:05 pm Surprised they didn't place a "Gloria" cat to the left of "In excelsis deo". I'm wondering though if it's written up correctly in the archive? It's not In "excelsis deo'? I ask because this way seems more logical and because the letter N actually does not appear in any answers.
The category title did not have quotation marks, but it probably should have. If I remember correctly, Alex said that the responses would use the letters of "in excelsis deo" (and this matches what Mark indicated in the Archive); my impression is that the clue writers intended it the way you (and I) interpreted it, though I suppose the description still works.

I felt as if the difficulty calibration of this board wasn't particularly good, especially in the "states by county" category.

The correct FJ! response came to me fairly quickly; though I wasn't certain I was correct, I couldn't think of a reason to change it. Amanda's wager has already been commented on. I wonder how Brayden would have done on these boards if it had not been the end of a long taping day.
NoName84
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by NoName84 »

I had Macy's for Final; Hallmark didn't occur to me until it was revealed and ruled correct.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:36 pm The category title did not have quotation marks, but it probably should have. If I remember correctly, Alex said that the responses would use the letters of "in excelsis deo" (and this matches what Mark indicated in the Archive); my impression is that the clue writers intended it the way you (and I) interpreted it, though I suppose the description still works.
Yeah. I had "sin" for the tax, which fits if you allow "in"
I felt as if the difficulty calibration of this board wasn't particularly good, especially in the "states by county" category.
A little. I do find it odd that the the guy from Tarzana doesn't know Kern when it is literally the next county up from him.

Instaget FJ.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another Macy’s here, and another day with unconscionable wagering.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm For anyone will less than a run of the category I will endorse watching The Top 10 Revealed on AXS TV. It's a countdown show of music categories with a host and various personalities with connections to the music world.

Not this time, CCer. THE 4-LETTER FILMS category wanted an Ashton Kutcher film about an Apple guy. Jaws? :lol:
Here's to a second endorsement of The Top Ten Revealed (if you like that kinda thing). Love Katie Daryl. BTW, this Sunday is the season finale of that show.

The captions threw me. They are so rarely wrong that I assumed that's what he really said. I kept waiting for the "correction to the scores".
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm
    Alex still could bring it to close a chat portion as Devon imitated Kermit the Frog and Alex complimented him on his Bogart.
    I thought he was doing Jim Carrey. But I guess the “yaaayyy” should have pointed me to Kermit
    John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:30 pm
    polaris wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:26 pm WaGeRiNG thEorY iSn'T iMpOrTaNt
    Amanda's name on Reddit? IKnowMyWagerSucked (Yes, really, it's official.)
    I often wonder, how long AFTER a game is taped does it happen that a contestant has some kind of epiphany and realizes, "Dang, you know, if only I had wagered X in FJ instead of Y, I would have won the danged game."

If she acknowledged this on "Reddit," I'm also curious: was she just clueless as to wagering strategy, or did it seem like too much math to come up with the correct wager of $10,200 or less so she picked a close round number instead?

Helluva way to throw away your one and only chance to be a J! champion.

FJ: I thought briefly about Currier and Ives but thought Hallmark fit the bill better.
    cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm cheezguyty: The list must be short for entering a game with $90-something-thousand in winnings, winning the game and still shy of the magic $100,000 total?
    • Brayden Smith game 4: $93,800 -> $97,799
    • Stephanie Jass game 5: $90,170 -> $98,970
    • Kevin Marshall game 6: $90,202 -> $98,201
    • Brian Wangsgard game 4: $48,198 -> $49,598 [pre-doubling]
    • Mark Lowenthal game 5: $45,501 -> $49,901 [pre-doubling]
    [ETA: missed one!]
    Last edited by cheezguyty on Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Golf

Post by Golf »

John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:06 pm I often wonder, how long AFTER a game is taped does it happen that a contestant has some kind of epiphany and realizes, "Dang, you know, if only I had wagered X in FJ instead of Y, I would have won the danged game."

If she acknowledged this on "Reddit," I'm also curious: was she just clueless as to wagering strategy, or did it seem like too much math to come up with the correct wager of $10,200 or less so she picked a close round number instead?
    Most contestants (and viewers) think Jeopardy! is solely about knowing trivia. They would be wrong.
    Bamaman
    Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:58 pm
    Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:36 pm The category title did not have quotation marks, but it probably should have. If I remember correctly, Alex said that the responses would use the letters of "in excelsis deo" (and this matches what Mark indicated in the Archive); my impression is that the clue writers intended it the way you (and I) interpreted it, though I suppose the description still works.
    Yeah. I had "sin" for the tax, which fits if you allow "in"
    [/quote]

The clue about the tax quoted the IRS, so unless sin tax is an official term it doesn’t work.
    MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:39 pm
    MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm cheezguyty: The list must be short for entering a game with $90-something-thousand in winnings, winning the game and still shy of the magic $100,000 total?
    • Brayden Smith game 4: $93,800 -> $97,799
    • Stephanie Jass game 5: $90,170 -> $98,970
    • Kevin Marshall game 6: $90,202 -> $98,201
    • Brian Wangsgard game 4: $48,198 -> $49,598 [pre-doubling]
    No second hand needed to count as I suspected. Thanks.

For the IN EXCELSIS DEO I went with Alex's words while the explanation was probably not quite what the writers intended. No matter the interpretation I had a neg with VICE for the tax. :oops:
    MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Brayden is "skinnyjohncandy" on Reddit and he has a lot of insightful comments: https://www.reddit.com/user/skinnyjohncandy/

Some of his posts may or may not set off your "spoil-ometer" including the simple fact of posting anything. My sense is I can see things both ways and feel Brayden is surfing the fence appropriately going into the break.
    CailinGaoilge
    Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:28 pm
    mas3cf wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:25 pm
    opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:17 pm This is one of those clues where I'd be interested to hear from any poor sap who actually considered Hallmark and talked themself out of it. There are always one or two. But yeah, the major divide has to be between people who thought of Hallmark and got it right vs people who didn't and of course got it wrong.
    Take a peek at today's FJ thread on Reddit. Turns out none other than our defending champ Brayden talked himself out of it!
    Tell Brayden to get over here where the cool kids are.
    He says he had an account here but got locked out. Speaks highly of J!Board. Admins...?
    The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:17 pm
    Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:09 pm
    opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:02 pm
    What, you figure all us flightless types are pals? Lat time I talked to a road runner was when ACME left a package on my front porch that was supposed to go somewhere else.

But you got the last five words right, so... partial credit.
    "If I'd thought of the right response I'd have said".
    I'm pretty sure that's 100% correct. I didn't actually write down what I was thinking at the time, so I can't be positive. This is one of those clues where I'd be interested to hear from any poor sap who actually considered Hallmark and talked themself out of it. There are always one or two. But yeah, the major divide has to be between people who thought of Hallmark and got it right vs people who didn't and of course got it wrong.
    I said Sears, then thought of Hallmark, but I didn't have the confidence to change it. Largely because I didn't realize Hallmark was that old.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
    -Bertrand Russell
    MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Amanda (on Reddit) mentioned her sister was on J! (about 5 years ago). With the last names matching, I'm calling 2011 close enough to give them lines on their J! bio pages.

http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=7312
    davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:04 pm
      MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm
      Alex still could bring it to close a chat portion as Devon imitated Kermit the Frog and Alex complimented him on his Bogart.
      I thought he was doing Jim Carrey. But I guess the “yaaayyy” should have pointed me to Kermit
      For a moment I thought it was Ken Jennings then the manic aspect led me to Carrey...But yeah, thanks to Mark for clearing it up.
      "Pueblo" pointed so strongly to Colorado for me that I didn't worry about the other 2.
      I was surprised Hallmark had been around so long but it seemed strongly WECIB otherwise...
      rockyboy34
      Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

I really thought that FJ! would be a triple-get.

5/10
      It's the end of the journey that counts.
      Volante
      Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:36 pm
      Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:05 pm Surprised they didn't place a "Gloria" cat to the left of "In excelsis deo". I'm wondering though if it's written up correctly in the archive? It's not In "excelsis deo'? I ask because this way seems more logical and because the letter N actually does not appear in any answers.
      The category title did not have quotation marks, but it probably should have. If I remember correctly, Alex said that the responses would use the letters of "in excelsis deo" (and this matches what Mark indicated in the Archive); my impression is that the clue writers intended it the way you (and I) interpreted it, though I suppose the description still works.
      Not their first foray into that type of category and they never use quotes in it. Quotes in a category have a very specific rule.

Some examples:
      http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4904 - WORDS WITH(IN) FRIENDS
      http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6839 - IN ORDER
      http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3303 - WORDS IN FEBRUARY

Heh at the dowager clue.

Final..."It's either Hallmark or who knows?"
      The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
      Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
      This Is Kirk!
      Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm Not this time, CCer. THE 4-LETTER FILMS category wanted an Ashton Kutcher film about an Apple guy. Jaws? :lol:
      Don't you remember the famous quote from that movie? "You're gonna need a bigger monitor!" :lol:
      BrigadierSolo13
      Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I'm going to encapsulate how I feel now after watching that FJ wagering debacle.

Please let it continue when I get my shot. I'll take a free, undeserved win over a close, competitive loss any day of the week.