FJs for the 12/14/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 12/14/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:48 pm

Opened in 1973, it includes the Joan Sutherland Theatre, named for the singer, & the Utzon Room, named for the architect
80%
This magazine had the same person on its cover since its founding 20 years ago until it chose Breonna Taylor as its September 2020 cover
87%
In 1521 this monarch published the theological treatise "Defense of the Seven Sacraments"
72%
This title character says, "Who find my visage's center ornament a thing to jest at--it is my wont...to let him taste my steel"
61%
This company takes credit for inventing modern gift wrap, dating to its sale of fancy decorated envelope linings at Christmas in 1917  
81%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
30%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
AMERICAN HISTORY $400: According to affidavits from Betsy Ross's relatives, this famous man came into her shop in 1776 to ask Betsy to make a new flag for our nation
67%
AUDIO DRAMAS $2000: "Welcome to" this mysterious desert town is a podcast "where every conspiracy is true"
23%
MAN ABOUT TOWN $1200: Herb Caen wrote about this city for nearly 60 years, calling it "Baghdad-by-the-Bay"
58%
I have held an issue (any issue) of "O" Magazine in my hands.
19%
I missed the Wednesday FJ! clue by guessing a monarch that ruled after Henry VIII.
8%
I missed the Thursday FJ! clue with a guess in the area of Don Quixote or Man of La Mancha.
11%
Even though I considered Hallmark for the Friday FJ! clue I missed it by guessing a different company.
4%
3M was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
5%
THE BIG, LITTLE OR NO BANG $600: Nearly 70,000 shells filled the air in 2019 as viewers lined NYC's FDR Drive to see July 4th fireworks over this river - I was correct with the East River.
39%
THE BIG, LITTLE OR NO BANG $600:Nearly 70,000 shells filled the air in 2019 as viewers lined NYC's FDR Drive to see July 4th fireworks over this river - I negged with the Hudson River.
40%
THE BIG, LITTLE OR NO BANG $600:Nearly 70,000 shells filled the air in 2019 as viewers lined NYC's FDR Drive to see July 4th fireworks over this river - I clammed on the mental coin toss.
14%
According to affidavits from Betsy Ross's relatives, this famous man came into her shop in 1776 to ask Betsy to make a new flag for our nation - Oops, I guessed Benjamin Franklin.
25%
I plan to watch all of the Alex Around the World episodes for the 12/21 week.
47%
I may catch some bits & pieces of the Alex Around the World episodes for the 12/21 week.
35%

Total votes: 83

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 12/14/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

12/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS PLACES

12/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Opened in 1973, it includes the Joan Sutherland Theatre, named for the singer, & the Utzon Room, named for the architect

12/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MAGAZINES

12/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This magazine had the same person on its cover since its founding 20 years ago until it chose Breonna Taylor as its September 2020 cover

12/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ROYALTY

12/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1521 this monarch published the theological treatise "Defense of the Seven Sacraments"

12/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLAY CHARACTERS

12/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This title character says, "Who find my visage's center ornament a thing to jest at--it is my wont...to let him taste my steel"

12/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INNOVATIONS

12/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This company takes credit for inventing modern gift wrap, dating to its sale of fancy decorated envelope linings at Christmas in 1917

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
the Sydney Opera House
O, The Oprah Magazine (O)
Henry VIII
Cyrano de Bergerac (Just "Cyrano" is fine)
Hallmark
The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 1-3-2-0-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested one the players got correct followed by two requested triple stumpers.

AMERICAN HISTORY $400: According to affidavits from Betsy Ross's relatives, this famous man came into her shop in 1776 to ask Betsy to make a new flag for our nation

AUDIO DRAMAS $2000: "Welcome to" this mysterious desert town is a podcast "where every conspiracy is true"

MAN ABOUT TOWN $1200: Herb Caen wrote about this city for nearly 60 years, calling it "Baghdad-by-the-Bay"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
George Washington
Night Vale
San Francisco
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 12/14/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Negged with Ben Franklin.

Night Vale was a NHOI for me.

Stumped on Cyrano with no response.

Clammed this time on the NY river though a neg is always possible the next time it comes up.

I’ll check out the first rerun to see if it has a new opening or closing and if not I may ignore the rest only catching them if my TV happens to be on ABC.

My only experience with the “O” Magazine is the one with Ellen in aught nine, but enough to check the box.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :| :|

San Francisco would've been a DD get but couldn't pull the trigger otherwise
Stayed clam on the rivers, but East would've been my DD response. Felt if it was Hudson, would've been valued less.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :( :mrgreen:

Never heard of the podcast

Got East River
Went with Franklin, but might have clammed.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wasn't getting Sydney Opera House out of that clue.
:mrgreen: :? :mrgreen:
Night Vale is definitely a NHOI.
Guessed Hudson River :x
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I should have had an 8/8 week, if I hadn't changed a response I very well knew.
If you like fiction podcasts, and the idea of H.P. Lovecraft crossed with NPR doesn't scare you off, check out Welcome to Night Vale! There are even spinoff novels that have been on the best seller lists...
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Tycho Brahe, Sears (Hallmark never crossed my mind; I... can't say if I would have said them or not)

If I held an O magazine issue it was moving it out of the way on the rack.
Hudson.
Planning to watch as much as my area carries this week.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I said Benjamin Franklin but knew Night Vale. I listened to it at my last job, and haven't touched it once since that job ended. It's hard to explain; it's not like I disliked it, but I don't miss it. Once I didn't have hours to fill with podcasts, it fell away. I listen to other podcasts at home still, but WtNV just doesn't fit in with my home listening.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Thursday’s clue just sounded more comic to me than anything else, so I said Don Quixote. My only exposure to Cyrano is Steve Martin’s Roxanne, unless you count a particular scene in Heinlein’s Glory Road.

Never heard of Night Vale. From descriptions here and elsewhere, sounds a bit twee for my tastes.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

NHO Joan Sutherland or Utzon, but had the vague idea she was operatic. Went with Lincoln Center because Moonstruck was lingering from the Cher clue a week or two ago, and because I go there once a year (most years). If asked, I would have guessed the Sydney Opera House was built in the 50s or 60s, so that's a dot in my timeline that got corrected.

Ignored the big clues staring me in the face for Cyrano, and joined our current champ in going for Don Quixote - although I never really noticed in retrospect that Don Quixote is (originally) a novel, and not a play. A filmed version of Cyrano was actally the most recent thing I saw in a movie theater....but given that it was in February, it wasn't exactly fresh in my mind.

The three gets were pretty much the first thing that popped into my head. O was immediate, and I would be pre-celebrating knowing there was no way it was wrong, as I knew about the special cover AND that O always had O on the cover. Hallmark was a shrug - it seemed logical, and I might buzz in and risk it, but I wasn't supremely confident. Henry VIII was my "Well, it's a British king, may as well put him down" guess. I didn't really even consider that he'd started out as a Defender of the Faith before getting remarried...and remarried...and remarried....

Y'all are good at avoiding the Ben Franklin/Betsy Ross trap. I'll remember that from now on.

I didn't coinflip Hudson/East - I wasn't even really thinking East river, as I'm awful at geography. I just thought - "River in NYC...Hudson....feels like a trap, even at 600. Clam." A bit surprised I clammed, but I guess third row would be a little too easy for Hudson.

Skipping the episodes this week, as I'd watched them all on Netflix/Hulu within the last 15 months. The only ones I haven't watched are the Met (30th) and Petra (31st) the week after next. Fortunately, my J! station isn't preempting either of those.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Got nowhere with Thursday's clue. Went with Romeo to have something.

Negged with Hudson and Franklin.

I've never listened to Night Vale, but as a regular podcast listener (~25 a week), I've heard countless references to it.

Plan to watch all of J! over the holidays.
I would prefer not to.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Monday was a slightly lucky, slightly educated guess. I knew the House opened in the early 70s, so the time frame was right. I also know how much the show loves the place. And Utzon was ringing some bells.

Tuesday was a solid get. Knew the namesake was always on the cover, although I thought they had broken that tradition once a few years ago. Still seemed more likely I was wrong about that and went with the right answer anyway.

Completely lost on Wednesday. Thought the category "Royalty" might exclude the UK royals the same way "world" generally excludes the US. So I was looking elsewhere.

Thursday seemed to be pretty easy on the TOM scale. Visage = face. Center ornament = nose. Thing to jest at = unusual in some funny way. So what character had an odd nose that was part of the story? Obviously, it's Steve Martin in Roxanne. (It's a generational thing!) Wait - a play? What was Roxanne based on? Yep. That's it. Kind of surprised that it was a triple stumper AND is polling as the hardest this week.

I think I guessed Boise-Cascade on Friday, just to say something related to paper.

Extra clues were a quick George, followed by a Huh? and Wha...?
--Peter
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:20 pm Thursday seemed to be pretty easy on the TOM scale. Visage = face. Center ornament = nose. Thing to jest at = unusual in some funny way. So what character had an odd nose that was part of the story? Obviously, it's Steve Martin in Roxanne. (It's a generational thing!) Wait - a play? What was Roxanne based on? Yep. That's it. Kind of surprised that it was a triple stumper AND is polling as the hardest this week.
While it is polling the hardest, a 66% means it was up against four softballs so that's just relative. Hard around here means it couldn't crack 20%. :D
Heck, last week has a 13%, a 37% and a 44% and two weeks prior has 4 under 66%, with 2 under 50%
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(

Had a streak of 7 in a row broken when I said Hamlet for Thursday. I did consider Hallmark, but thought it wasn't that old, so I stuck with my original hunch of Sears.

Bit on the Hudson and Ben Franklin baits.

There's a show I'm binging online that I'm 5 episodes away from finishing (it's a 45 min-per-episode drama), so I'll be spending my next couple of nights finishing that. I might catch a J! rerun if I end up in front of the TV, but those are low priority this week.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Didn't know Sutherland was Australian -- that would have been helpful.

Not only did I not know "Night Vale" was the correct answer before it was announced, I didn't know it was a correct answer AFTER it was announced. NHO doesn't do it justice.

Only knew Herb Caen as a San Franciscan because my parents had several Bennett Cerf humor compilations in the '60s, and Cerf quoted Caen as much as he did any of the Algonquins.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

:mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen:

Assuming Oprah is accepted on Tuesday. I initially thought it was a neg but subsequent posts on Tuesday's thread suggested otherwise.

Hard to keep up with the different forms of entertainment...never listened to any podcast except for a couple of episodes of Serial.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I said East River and Washington.