What tournaments are in store for Season 37?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

What tournaments are in store for Season 37?

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

In past seasons, there would always be a tournament or a special event in November, may it be the ToC, Teen Tournament, or College Championship; S23 had two weeks of Celebrity episodes at Radio City Music Hall in November of ‘06. This season has been different from seasons past; there were no tournaments of any kind held last month because of Covid. So my question is, what Tournaments are in store for the remainder of S37? I looked on Jeopardy’s webpage, and the College Championship is scheduled to air early next year. So won’t we still have the Teachers Tournament in May 2021?

My other guess is that there won’t be a Teen Tournament held this season.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: What tournaments are in store for Season 37?

Post by Bamaman »

Something else just occurred to me. They are airing old episodes for two weeks so Alex’s last episode didn’t air on Christmas. So will the end of the season be pushed backed two weeks or will they only have 220 episodes?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

What's a "normal" number of 4-day champs to make the tourney? Right now, we have 6 of them according to their tourney tracker, but hopefully that will come down to 5 next week. (Good luck, Brayden, if you're reading this thread!) Is that a lot? Way fewer? Still feels about right? With all due respect to V^3, who really was an outstanding champ IIRC, it feels like there's a few too many 4-timers. I could be completely misinformed about precedent and how many 4-time champs they let in, and would welcome past data.

Looking back a decade, it seems like they had ToCs in seasons 26, 28, 29, 31, 32, 34, and 36. It seems they've been coming every 1.429 seasons or so. This would be a good season as any to skip it, IMO - pragmatics almost dictate it. Champs are people too.

How is the College Championship this year going to work? I vaguely recall that they seemed to have something that implied it was going to be a team thing? But it wasn't spelled out.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

With interim hosts, I don’t see them filming a tournament.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:46 pm With interim hosts, I don’t see them filming a tournament.
Then why would they bother with the College interviews?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:05 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:46 pm With interim hosts, I don’t see them filming a tournament.
I think they've had the College Championship page up since around the start of the new season, meaning Alex was around. It might take a little extra on the "talent" portion to host a college tourney, with all the intros. And the format looks to be different, as this is on the page:
Take the test! If you know another great Jeopardy! player from your school, have them take the test too! OR, we’ll find your teammate. Either way, start by taking the Jeopardy! College Test now!
Notice "teammate", singular - so pairs of students from the same college? They also say 15 colleges play over 2 weeks, so 30 contestants. Perhaps it's paired up like the last funky format tourney, but with 2 players per "team" instead of 3 - one player does J!, the other does DJ!, and FJ a repeat? The only problem would be they'd have to do 3 minutes of contestant chit-chats, 90 seconds for each round. That would make full games for the QF nearly impossible.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:05 pm
Why not, they need more of a pool this year than other years because of the format. Doesn't mean they are required to tape this season. They can easily tape these in the later part of the summer for next season, with the new host, when the students (mostly) aren't actually in school, which would also make the possible COVID situation easier as they can spend time at home and not mixing with too many people.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Hopefully there will be a tournament of champions in November 2021
dell3234

Post by dell3234 »

There will be a toc this season
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I wonder who hosts the ToC? At the very least, they have to make sure everyone from S36 doesn't have a Kennection. Since Ken is a S37 consulting producer (I may have the title wrong), I'd imagine he'd be on the list of "people you can't have a personal connection with" if you wanted to be a contestant on S37, but I don't think he was as connected for S36, so maybe that would be okay? I imagine all 15 contestants aren't connected to Ken, but they probably do have to check.

If Ken isn't named official host of J! by the time the tourney rolls around, maybe have Mike Richards do it? He will have been with the show for a year, and he's had hosting experience.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:46 pm I wonder who hosts the ToC? At the very least, they have to make sure everyone from S36 doesn't have a Kennection. Since Ken is a S37 consulting producer (I may have the title wrong), I'd imagine he'd be on the list of "people you can't have a personal connection with" if you wanted to be a contestant on S37, but I don't think he was as connected for S36, so maybe that would be okay? I imagine all 15 contestants aren't connected to Ken, but they probably do have to check.

If Ken isn't named official host of J! by the time the tourney rolls around, maybe have Mike Richards do it? He will have been with the show for a year, and he's had hosting experience.
I mean, it's probably no more personal than what TOC contestants may have between each other in the first place.

Unless someone married into the Jennings clan between S36 and S37, they're likely all still in the clear.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:46 pm I wonder who hosts the ToC? At the very least, they have to make sure everyone from S36 doesn't have a Kennection. Since Ken is a S37 consulting producer (I may have the title wrong), I'd imagine he'd be on the list of "people you can't have a personal connection with" if you wanted to be a contestant on S37, but I don't think he was as connected for S36, so maybe that would be okay? I imagine all 15 contestants aren't connected to Ken, but they probably do have to check.

If they didn't find a conflict of interest between Ken and Tanay Kothari (which surprised me that they let him on), then I think they'll be a lot looser on the rules for the TOC contestants.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:10 am

If they didn't find a conflict of interest between Ken and Tanay Kothari (which surprised me that they let him on), then I think they'll be a lot looser on the rules for the TOC contestants.
If Ken is named the permanent host, they will need to certainly figure out just how strict they want to be with connections to Ken. Jeopardy will someday film another special tournament. Those tournaments will feature players who certainly have connections to Ken in many more ways than Alex ever had a connection to any of them.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I'd assume that later this spring the show will get to a point where they need to cover another six-eight weeks worth of backlog quickly as Ken has done.. I bet they line up Jimmy McGuire for a guest hosting stint that covers at least the ToC and maybe College Tournament... this just isn't a spot where you plug in a celebrity host. I initially wondered if Mike's announced two-week stint was specifically for the ToC (that puts us somewhere in late February) but it looks like this is not the case. Mike would be a fine option in the interim, but who knows if he would want to have two non-consecutive stints as guest host.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It seems Jimmy ruled himself out as a host, guest or otherwise, which is too bad, I would have liked to have seen him, and Sarah too.

I hope they end up canceling that ridiculous doubles play college championship.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If J! was going to do any special programming for February there should have been a sniff by now?

To me it seems like three more weeks of Ken during Feb. 1 - 19.

Whatever order of Katie, Bill, Mayim and that GB-QB will be Feb. 22 - March 19.

Perhaps Mike Richards gets it to April 2 and during that span more names will come out or it could be Ken again?

There is plenty of the season remaining to to see more guest hosts although I agree Ken or Mike are the best choices for the ToC to clear out the Trebek-era contestants.

During the time of Alex there were many contestants who came along that mentioned having met him through Geography Bee. Barbara-Anne Eddy appeared on $128 Q when Alex hosted.

It does not matter who has met Ken through all of the various avenues that somehow it will matter for TOC players or future players unless there is a more direct and specific relationship like Ken's agent for example.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

For what it's worth: Mike Richards had two weeks of episodes immediately following Ken.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:18 pm For what it's worth: Mike Richards had two weeks of episodes immediately following Ken.
That is worth knowing, thanks.