Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by Robert K S »

teapot37 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:36 pm The show just posted a teaser on Twitter that Mark "The Beast" Labbett (previously the chaser on the GSN version and on the UK version, among other countries) will be (re?)joining the US Chaser team this season to make a group of four.
Do Ken, Brad, and James get to call him "Beast", or is it like an Ohio State thing?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

$10,000 a pop for the cash builder is down from $25K last season.

Things moved so fast in the final chase that a miss does not have to be regretted as being the one cause of the end result.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The new season of "The Chase" premiered tonight.

There were a few differences. Each question in the cash builder is now worth $10,000 instead of $25,000, and Sara is now reading the questions at a faster pace than in Season 1. The difficulty of cash builder questions had also died down. Some of the multiple choice questions were a bit tricky. Fell into the Guernica == 1937 trap on the Gertrude Stein question, and the Cambodia trap on the Doro Wat question.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:20 am The new season of "The Chase" premiered tonight.

There were a few differences. Each question in the cash builder is now worth $10,000 instead of $25,000, and Sara is now reading the questions at a faster pace than in Season 1. The difficulty of cash builder questions had also died down. Some of the multiple choice questions were a bit tricky. Fell into the Guernica == 1937 trap on the Gertrude Stein question, and the Cambodia trap on the Doro Wat question.

#7547, aired 2017-06-06 TALK OF THE TOWN $800: She wrote of Oakland, California, "There is no there there"
#6264, aired 2011-12-08 QUOTES ABOUT PLACES $2000: It was of Oakland, California, her girlhood home, that she wrote, "There is no there there"
#4258, aired 2003-02-19 20th CENTURY QUOTATIONS $1200: Gertrude Stein's famous phrase about Oakland; it contains 5 words, 3 of them the same

Every so often we get the game show coincidence overlaps. It would be funny if this comes up this week on J!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Learned some new things so I'm glad I watched. I don't understand why they're calling Ken "The Professor." It seems a bit forced.

The fast-paced cash builder and final round really contrasts with the 10 minutes they take to pick between the three dollar values.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I still find the "whoosh" sound effect after each correct answer wayyyyyyy too loud, so much so that I can't hear the beginning of the next question.

Otherwise, the show is great.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Thoughts:
1. If there was an award for most improved game show host, Sara should get it. Much quicker paced than her first go-around. The difference between her and Brooke isn’t much anymore;
2. Reduced money in cash builder = good idea. Maybe now they can tempt someone with the high offers since the earned offers won’t be five digits;
3. Ken crushed that final chase. Once you get into the 18-20 zone, it is not easy as you can only afford a mistake or two.

If the chasers are this “on” this season, it is going to be tough to win. But that was part of the beauty of the GSN version, IMHO. It should be hard. It makes it that much more rewarding when a team comes along that beats the chaser.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:52 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:20 am The new season of "The Chase" premiered tonight.

#7547, aired 2017-06-06 TALK OF THE TOWN $800: She wrote of Oakland, California, "There is no there there"
#6264, aired 2011-12-08 QUOTES ABOUT PLACES $2000: It was of Oakland, California, her girlhood home, that she wrote, "There is no there there"
#4258, aired 2003-02-19 20th CENTURY QUOTATIONS $1200: Gertrude Stein's famous phrase about Oakland; it contains 5 words, 3 of them the same

Every so often we get the game show coincidence overlaps. It would be funny if this comes up this week on J!
It's usually said that Stein wrote this because she returned to town and found her childhood home had been demolished. Ken and the contestant seemed to agree it was because she found there was no central business district... :?: I don't know what it was like in 1937, but Downtown Oakland has its own Wikipedia page...
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

She’s still a dreadful host. That voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Great effort by the team. The “professor’s’ questions were suspiciously easy.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Johnblue wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:41 am She’s still a dreadful host. That voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Great effort by the team. The “professor’s’ questions were suspiciously easy.
Players in the Final Chase get to choose the question set (A/B) but we don’t see that at home, unlike the GSN version
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Johnblue wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:41 am She’s still a dreadful host. That voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Yeah, I agree. And there were a couple questions she said I couldn't even understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:52 am It would be funny if this comes up this week on J!
Unlikely. There was a Gertrude Stein question this past week.
Douglas Squasoni
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:12 am
teapot37 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:36 pm The show just posted a teaser on Twitter that Mark "The Beast" Labbett (previously the chaser on the GSN version and on the UK version, among other countries) will be (re?)joining the US Chaser team this season to make a group of four.
Do Ken, Brad, and James get to call him "Beast", or is it like an Ohio State thing?
Mini-Beast may be more appropriate these days. He looks great with that 140lb. weight loss.
--
Drowning in the pool
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

At the end The View today, Sarah said The Beast would be the chaser this Sunday.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

The Beast did not disappoint! It looks like he got a makeover & he looks somewhat uneasy about it. He faced two so-so contestants and one stronger player as far as the first two segments but one of the “weak” players did fairly well in the final segment. They had 18 points but the Beast bested them with two seconds to spare!
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I was wondering about that (initially) weaker player and how much better he performed in the later stage. There's no value in sandbagging in this game, right? Or am I missing something? Maybe there's just a major difference in performance in the different contexts (1-on-1, multiple choice vs behind the podium with two other players, 'buzzing in')?

That just seemed very odd to me. That, and it boggles my mind why somebody would buzz in on a question just to say 'pass'.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

mahatma wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:32 pm it boggles my mind why somebody would buzz in on a question just to say 'pass'.
A guess is always better than a pass, but sometimes they want to jump to the next question instead of wasting any more time.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

There are times where it is very silly to pass rather than throw out a guess. Notably in the two episodes this season, the first one had a guy buzzing on "which soup company...." and saying pass rather than Campbell's, which would have been correct. This week the question was "how many months have 31 days" and he buzzed and passed instead of saying...any number, presumably one between 1 and 12, which would have had some chance of being right.
Leander

Post by Leander »

mahatma wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:32 pm I was wondering about that (initially) weaker player and how much better he performed in the later stage. There's no value in sandbagging in this game, right? Or am I missing something? Maybe there's just a major difference in performance in the different contexts (1-on-1, multiple choice vs behind the podium with two other players, 'buzzing in')?

That just seemed very odd to me. That, and it boggles my mind why somebody would buzz in on a question just to say 'pass'.
Everyone’s got different strengths, but in my recollection, his early questions seemed harder to me than those for his fellow contestants or those in the final round.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Leander wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:52 pm
mahatma wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:32 pm I was wondering about that (initially) weaker player and how much better he performed in the later stage. There's no value in sandbagging in this game, right? Or am I missing something? Maybe there's just a major difference in performance in the different contexts (1-on-1, multiple choice vs behind the podium with two other players, 'buzzing in')?

Everyone’s got different strengths, but in my recollection, his early questions seemed harder to me than those for his fellow contestants or those in the final round.
Mt Everest.