Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by MattKnowles »

I'm amused and annoyed that James' explanation of how he got to JPMorgan Chase provided no information on why JPMorgan Chase has the pistols used in the Aaron Burr- Alexander Hamilton duel. Aaron Burr was the founder of The Bank of the Manhattan Company which is the oldest predecessor institution of JPMorgan Chase. They have a private trove of treasures that also includes the first $1 bill issued by the federal reserve. They loaned out the pistols as part of a promotion for the musical Hamilton and people may have read about them there.

So nearly every contestant on The Chase goes for the middle option. For entertainment here is a proposed rule change if it's desirable to get contestants to pick more than just the middle option: assign points to the top/middle/bottom dollar options. If they pick the standard middle option they get 2 points, the top high-risk high-reward option they get 3 points, and 1 point for the bottom low-risk low-reward option. The contestant would still pick a dollar value for their option, they would just get points. Contestants get a share of the prize pool at the end based on their points and the total points from the team. So if the first person clears the high-risk high-reward option and then the second person strikes out and the third person gets in with the low-risk low-reward option, then the first person would get a 3/4 share of the overall prize pool. They would be increasing the prize pool at the same time they were getting a larger share of it so they wouldn't necessarily be taking money away from their teammates but they would be more motivated to go for the high-risk option. They could do all this without having to explain it directly to the audience. Also, get rid of the bottom option and simply make it 1 point for the standard option and 2 points for the high-risk option.

Edit: Rewritten for brevity: Give the contestants a standard option and a high-risk option like they currently do. Double their share of the prize pool if they pick the high-risk option.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:25 am I'm amused and annoyed that James' explanation of how he got to JPMorgan Chase provided no information on why JPMorgan Chase has the pistols used in the Aaron Burr- Alexander Hamilton duel. Aaron Burr was the founder of The Bank of the Manhattan Company which is the oldest predecessor institution of JPMorgan Chase. They have a private trove of treasures that also includes the first $1 bill issued by the federal reserve. They loaned out the pistols as part of a promotion for the musical Hamilton and people may have read about them there.
I didn't know the story, but just knowing Hamilton was a financial guy was enough. The idea of a gun company locating in New York City, the heart of the enemy, didn't seem like a good bet.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Not that it would have mattered since she couldn’t get anything right, but with $200K banked, it doesn’t make much sense to me to go for $50K when the low offer presented is $27K. If the two of you get to the final chase, it becomes winning either $113,500 vs. $125,000 each. Take the low offer. It was a gift.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

yclept wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:45 am Not that it would have mattered since she couldn’t get anything right, but with $200K banked, it doesn’t make much sense to me to go for $50K when the low offer presented is $27K. If the two of you get to the final chase, it becomes winning either $113,500 vs. $125,000 each. Take the low offer. It was a gift.
Absolutely. At that point, no one had been eliminated, so it was basically a $17K vs. $9K choice, which is no choice; take the extra step.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

James: Sounds very German and they speak Afrikaans in South Africa.

Me: Afrikaans is derived from Dutch.
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:45 am James: Sounds very German and they speak Afrikaans in South Africa.

It is classified as West Germanic-
https://germanic.ucla.edu/about-us/germ ... afrikaans/
Also: Whatever works!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:48 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:45 am James: Sounds very German and they speak Afrikaans in South Africa.

It is classified as West Germanic-
https://germanic.ucla.edu/about-us/germ ... afrikaans/
Also: Whatever works!
It's not like James said anything incorrect. It does sound German and they do speak Afrikaans in South Africa.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

When I was in Argentina 🇦🇷 there was an area of Patagonia which had a large German influence & I did see a travel show about Chile 🇨🇱 which featured an area with a Welsh influence. Jimmy was impressive for the second half of his cashbuilder. I thought Nikhil would do better against Jane’s but maybe it was nerves.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:33 pm When I was in Argentina 🇦🇷 there was an area of Patagonia which had a large German influence & I did see a travel show about Chile 🇨🇱 which featured an area with a Welsh influence. Jimmy was impressive for the second half of his cashbuilder. I thought Nikhil would do better against Jane’s but maybe it was nerves.
What, no image for a Welsh flag? *reaches into the archives, blows the dust off* Here!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I thought about it but I didn’t write the country’s name out. Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

The actual mistake which Holzhauer made was saying that President John Tyler had twenty children and some were born into his eighties. 15 and he was 70 or so when his youngest was born.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

I felt bad for Jimmy. Even though they eventually gave him the point, I think he was completely thrown off his game when they ruled 10^9 wrong.
--
Drowning in the pool
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Two episodes this week, finishing out the run. J! alumni include James Brown and Elliot Yates (in the first and second episodes respectively).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I always thought that if the Chaser wiped out the contestants, they'd just not bother airing that and show a new set ... guess not! I would also say that with the way they do the Final Chase in that case, I glad for no head start, but the Chasee should not get a chance to push-back if the Chaser misses.

After that cash builder, I'm shocked Melissa didn't go for the low offer, seeing that Ken hadn't missed a question all night.
goongas

Post by goongas »

The optimum strategy if you are the last contestant left and feel like you are a strong player may be to go for the highest amount. If you lose, you still have a chance to win money in the final chase, and if you can convince the team members that you are the strongest, you will play in the final chase anyway for a big amount perhaps, like tonight.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Finally we had someone take the higher offer! Too bad it was followed by two wrong answers.

I think $250,000 is very generous for a consolation prize; the British version (where regular winners usually have four-digit earnings) does the Lazarus round for £4,000 as a rule.

In the second game, I didn't like Kathryn taking the low offer, but she redeemed herself with her contribution in the final chase. That was a good team.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

i Thought they did 12 episodes but whatever. :)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Not accepting “fed” for “federal reserve”? I guess since the question was cut off there may have been a reason for this, but cmon judges.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On the 3/4 ep. of The View, Sarah was given a few moments to promote The Chase airing last night. She commented on Elliot's suit and that he was her favorite contestant. Elliot was entertaining as always (props for using the prop of the fan) while Ken had me laughing out loud multiple times with his humor attempts using puns and zingers.

I thought the outcome of both games was predictable as in two hours the contestants losing would of course go first and the season ender would naturally have a contestant win.

Chaser records:
James: 2-1
Ken: 1-2
Brad: 1-2

ABC's ratings are going to go down next week as far as my viewing goes as I am 0/3 for watching the return of drama block shows.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:28 am Not accepting “fed” for “federal reserve”? I guess since the question was cut off there may have been a reason for this, but cmon judges.
They didn't accept "Fed chairs", which they should not have. If she had just said "the Fed", I think she'd have been OK.