Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lstone19
Valued Contributor

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by lstone19 »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:46 pm
Woppy T wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:28 am Not accepting “fed” for “federal reserve”? I guess since the question was cut off there may have been a reason for this, but cmon judges.
They didn't accept "Fed chairs", which they should not have. If she had just said "the Fed", I think she'd have been OK.
The full question probably wanted the organization they were chair of, not the position they held. An explanation of why it was not acceptable would have been helpful.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Can not believe Brad missed Blepharoplasty. I thought that was a common "should now" fact.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If I had played the blepharoplasty question, I would have shown off and said I could rule out bellybutton because that would be omphaloplasty.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:53 pm If I had played the blepharoplasty question, I would have shown off and said I could rule out bellybutton because that would be omphaloplasty.
I would have done the exact same thing.
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

lstone19 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:18 pm
Woppy T wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:28 am Not accepting “fed” for “federal reserve”? I guess since the question was cut off there may have been a reason for this, but cmon judges.
They didn't accept "Fed chairs", which they should not have. If she had just said "the Fed", I think she'd have been OK.
The full question probably wanted the organization they were chair of, not the position they held. An explanation of why it was not acceptable would have been helpful.
"These people were all chairs of what organization?"

"They were all fed chairs", abbreviated to "fed chairs"

This is in my opinion a perfectly fine answer, repeating information that was (presumably) in the question but giving the name of the organization the quiz was looking for. If they wanted Federal Reserve rather than Fed then that is a better reason to neg the response offered but Fed seems like a perfectly cromulent answer unless the question would have said something like "2 word organization".
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

kerryoakie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:30 am Casting for season 2 is available here:https://www.thechasecasting.com/.

I signed up and immediately received an invitation to schedule a 50 question proctored Zoom quiz (scheduled for early March). I'll report back with my experience!
I took the 50 question test Friday afternoon. The process wasn't quite as elegant as the J test; you had to physically hit "submit" for every answer and the site was somewhat glitchy, but overall went well. That was followed up with a phone call an hour later saying I passed and to join another Zoom call. We played a group game consisting of ~15 multiple choice questions (similar to the 1 v. 1 Chase questions) and the coordinators went around the "room" asking for us to expand our answers. A few hours after that, I received a call for a one-on-one interview scheduled for later this week. The dress code is "upscale party," which means I'm going to have to remember how to do my hair and makeup after a year in sweatpants...

It all happened rather quickly, but I'm definitely excited!
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:00 pm
lstone19 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:18 pm
"These people were all chairs of what organization?"

"They were all fed chairs", abbreviated to "fed chairs"

This is in my opinion a perfectly fine answer, repeating information that was (presumably) in the question but giving the name of the organization the quiz was looking for. If they wanted Federal Reserve rather than Fed then that is a better reason to neg the response offered but Fed seems like a perfectly cromulent answer unless the question would have said something like "2 word organization".
The Fed is absolutely an acceptable response for the Federal Reserve.

I think her response was right on the line. It clearly demonstrated she knew the answer, but technically it wasn't formatted correctly, ie "Fed Chairs" is not an organization. I probably would have ruled "close enough" but I understand why they didn't. There is a slippery slope once you start reformatting answers for contestants.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

kerryoakie wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:03 am
kerryoakie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:30 am Casting for season 2 is available here:https://www.thechasecasting.com/.

I signed up and immediately received an invitation to schedule a 50 question proctored Zoom quiz (scheduled for early March). I'll report back with my experience!
I took the 50 question test Friday afternoon. The process wasn't quite as elegant as the J test; you had to physically hit "submit" for every answer and the site was somewhat glitchy, but overall went well. That was followed up with a phone call an hour later saying I passed and to join another Zoom call. We played a group game consisting of ~15 multiple choice questions (similar to the 1 v. 1 Chase questions) and the coordinators went around the "room" asking for us to expand our answers. A few hours after that, I received a call for a one-on-one interview scheduled for later this week. The dress code is "upscale party," which means I'm going to have to remember how to do my hair and makeup after a year in sweatpants...

Many congratulations! A number of us took the test, doing well in our own view, but did not receive a callback. Knock em dead in the interview!
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

kerryoakie wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:03 am

Congrats! And thanks for the view of what happens. I have my test on Monday. I've never actually seen the show (no cable), so I'll have to do some youtubing to prep for part 2. Good luck in the interview!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'm still clearing my backlog of Chase episodes, but am I right in noting that in the first 6 or 7, almost EVERYONE picked the middle road of cash options? I found a summary table that shows the 9 episodes but leaves out the value anytime a contestant is caught, and only the premiere had a non-multiple of $25,000. I remember vaguely reading that one of the British chasers said that the middle road is often the worst choice in terms of risk/reward. Although that's probably assuming things like the utility of $500,000 is exactly 100 times the utility of $5,000, which isn't the case for many people.

Not sure how you could tweak the format to encourage and/or force contestants to pick non-middle values. Maybe have 3 more questions at the end of the Cash Builder round, each of which randomly unlocks one of the choices if you get it right? I mean, then it's not the standard "Chase" format, I suppose. I'm also not a fan of the random amounts of money that get thrown on the bottom and top levels - but again, that's the "Chase" format.

I'd also like contestants in isolation, so that all 3 contestants are treated equally and don't know how much is already banked before they make their decision. But I guess that eliminates the cheesy "go for it, I think you can do it - but don't take the top value, we need you!" help from the other contestants.

In terms of things I like...the Chasers, contestants, and questions were all excellent, and that's really the nuts and bolts of the show. I'd NHO of Sara, although looking her up, I now vaguely recall her name popping up on my screen with someone named Keke (Kiki?) and Strahan when GMA had an early afternoon hour that was more entertainment-focused. Have to say, I'm not really much of a fan, especially with the slow read of the questions. And the "ten to the ninth" question REALLY got stuck in my craw. The question is a science question, and when dealing within the sciences (and not to the general public), scientists rarely use millions or billions. They use...*ahem*...scientific notation. The writers should have anticipated this, and a superb host (ie probably Ken if he had come down off his perch) would have picked it up on the fly.

I also thought the backstage chase lounge (not chaise lounge) was a little bit lame. As much as I love the chasers, I don't need Statler and Waldorf commenting on the show. Cut the budget and hire each of the chasers for just one day, and tape all their shows that day.

Or...if you ARE going to have all 3 chasers there, instead of bringing back contestants for an episode where all 3 fail to bank any cash...put in the other 2 chasers, and have all three of them play for $100,000 charity. Brad and James vs Ken? I'd watch that.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

"The Chase" March 11

Post by Category 13 »

Anybody have a heads up on when tonight's episode will air?

There was an announcment just before the big guy was going to go on TV, that the regular programs would be shown in their entirety after the speach.
Turned it back to ABC at 9:00 and something besides Celebrity Wheel of Fortune was on. I figured The Chase would be on one hour after the conclusion of the prez was finished, but not sure now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: "The Chase" March 11

Post by econgator »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:49 pm Anybody have a heads up on when tonight's episode will air?

There was an announcment just before the big guy was going to go on TV, that the regular programs would be shown in their entirety after the speach.
Turned it back to ABC at 9:00 and something besides Celebrity Wheel of Fortune was on. I figured The Chase would be on one hour after the conclusion of the prez was finished, but not sure now.
Season ended last week.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

econgator wrote:
Category 13 wrote: Anybody have a heads up on when tonight's episode will air?

Season ended last week.
Thanks for the reply.

Nuts, that figures. I missed last week because I spaced it out that it was Thursday night. Maybe Penguin might have that, or others on his YT channel?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:40 pm Nuts, that figures. I missed last week because I spaced it out that it was Thursday night. Maybe Penguin might have that, or others on his YT channel?
Try ABC.com (or Hulu, if you have a subscription there). ABC.com's page
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Yesterday I was at the Spectrum store getting my new phone set up. The TV in the waiting room was tuned to the Game Show Network. It was showing an episode of The Chase--not the current edition, but the old edition starring "The Beast".
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Yes, those have been airing every afternoon at 3pm EST. I think they’re much, much better than that boring abc version.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:07 pm Yes, those have been airing every afternoon at 3pm EST. I think they’re much, much better than that boring abc version.
It's a freakin' wonder you deign to watch any TV at all.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I watch way too much tv. I do like The Hustler. It’s a relief after the overdone Chase. And you should be aware that I very much liked the British and GSN versions of The Chase.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The show just posted a teaser on Twitter that Mark "The Beast" Labbett (previously the chaser on the GSN version and on the UK version, among other countries) will be (re?)joining the US Chaser team this season to make a group of four.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

teapot37 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:36 pm The show just posted a teaser on Twitter that Mark "The Beast" Labbett (previously the chaser on the GSN version and on the UK version, among other countries) will be (re?)joining the US Chaser team this season to make a group of four.
Can he please bring Brooke with him?