Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nothing to spoil yet other than I've seen some promos where I think I have spotted some J! alums other than the chasers. At least one is a board member here, so perhaps an air date can she shared, if known?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by JayK33 »

Nice. Has an airdate been given?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:03 am Nice. Has an airdate been given?
Thursday, January 7th and that will be sandwiched by Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and Craig Ferguson hosting The Hustler.

The Ferguson show will have trivia questions and the catch is one of the five players already knows all the answers ahead of time. The Hustler can eliminate two players. The remaining two non-hustlers have to figure out the hustler to split the prize money or the hustler gets it all.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:14 am
JayK33 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:03 am Nice. Has an airdate been given?
Thursday, January 7th and that will be sandwiched by Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and Craig Ferguson hosting The Hustler.

The Ferguson show will have trivia questions and the catch is one of the five players already knows all the answers ahead of time. The Hustler can eliminate two players. The remaining two non-hustlers have to figure out the hustler to split the prize money or the hustler gets it all.
also interesting is (supposedly), many or all of the questions will have some sort of relation to the Hustler, such as if David Copperfield wasn't recognizable, and he was on the show as the Hustler, there would be questions about magic.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

ABC has posted publicity photos for the first three scheduled episodes of "The Chase": link here.

You'll see a number of J! alumni -- the photos will also spoil for you who the chaser is in each episode.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

trainman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:47 am ABC has posted publicity photos for the first three scheduled episodes of "The Chase": link here.

You'll see a number of J! alumni -- the photos will also spoil for you who the chaser is in each episode.
That is a high percentage of J! alums. Nice.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm glad there are last names there—every clip of the UK version I've seen on YouTube (outside celebrity editions) only gives contestants' first names.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken, in Seattle, was on live with Kelly & Ryan this morning for a typical softball chat. No real insight was given for Ken hosting J! or being a chaser other than Ken admitting he was secretly happy when the contestants did well on The Chase while James was not.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:24 pm I'm glad there are last names there—every clip of the UK version I've seen on YouTube (outside celebrity editions) only gives contestants' first names.
GSN version only did first names as well.
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Reminder: first episode is tonight at 9 ET!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Interesting that they called out one contestant for playing in the college tournament but not the ToCer.

The pace of the questions is a whole lot slower than the British or Australian versions, but the stakes here are a lot higher (since they're both daytime shows, 1000 GBP / 2000 AUD per question in the cash builder vs. 25000 USD).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Kristin and James set quite the high bar in The Final Chase, but Ken showed why he’s the GOAT in trying to catch them.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:48 pm Kristin and James set quite the high bar in The Final Chase, but Ken showed why he’s the GOAT in trying to catch them.
Yeah I figured that number was catchable but he'd have to be either lightning fast or avoid any errors. He handled the first but couldn't hold up the second.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

I just saw the premiere episode.

Those players (well, the last 2) were on fire!

I think they’re gonna rotate the chasers instead of all 3 in one episode.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

rockyboy34 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:02 am I just saw the premiere episode.

Those players (well, the last 2) were on fire!

I think they’re gonna rotate the chasers instead of all 3 in one episode.
I watched the premiere and KJ was the chaser for the whole show, so I would have thought that made it clear the chasers will rotate. No way Brad & James only sign on to provide reactions from a side room.

The show fooled me as I
Spoiler
expected the first show to have a chaser win and not a contestants win to make the moment be more special when a player(s) win instead of having it happen on show one. All the credit to Kristin & player James to set a high enough mark to force Ken into playing faster than he may have been comfortable with doing. The offers sure were above GSN level.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

This definitely had much higher stakes than the GSN version, that’s for sure.

One thing that confused my dad was why the chaser never got to see the answer choices, but the player could.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Hey! People shout as Ken missed the BTS question. :P

I wonder if Bruce Lin was watching this? Oprah's car Pontiac G6 comes back to haunt.
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:36 am
The show fooled me as I
Spoiler
expected the first show to have a chaser win and not a contestants win to make the moment be more special when a player(s) win instead of having it happen on show one. All the credit to Kristin & player James to set a high enough mark to force Ken into playing faster than he may have been comfortable with doing. The offers sure were above GSN level.
I'd say it was a good episode to start with, as we have an eliminated player right off the bat and a final triumph, to encapsulate the thrill of victory and agony of defeat in a single installment. (The potential for a pot of half a mill in between probably helped.)
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

rockyboy34 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:03 am One thing that confused my dad was why the chaser never got to see the answer choices, but the player could.
What do you mean? During the multiple choice rounds?
--
Drowning in the pool
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I've only seen a few episodes of the Brooke Burns version, but I like it, and I thought this compared favorably. I hated the "lock in" sound effects. KJ's attempts to taunt the contestants didn't really work for me; I think James will be a better chaser in this regard. I was upset that Kristin didn't go for it when offered the $425,000. If a TOCer won't take this (and have a good chance of succeeding), who will?