Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by SwanShadow »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:10 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:03 am
AntmanB wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:22 am Do we know what Season of Jeopardy Michael was on?
Yes
I would hope so. Here's a clue: He's SwanShadow here.

It's hard to believe I've been watching Michael show trivia chops for 32 years plus.
Thanks, Mark. I wasn't feeling quite old enough yet today. :D
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

SwanShadow wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:15 pm Thanks, Mark. I wasn't feeling quite old enough yet today. :D
Well done!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Today's game had a couple of firsts (as far as airing order is concerned) for this incarnation: the first contestants who aren't J! alumni making it to the Final Chase, and the first game with no contestants eliminated. Jen Aprahamian represented J! from the floor of the set, but George Holt and Eric Ambler apparently haven't had their chops tested at Sony. (Eric looked familiar to me, but he's got the same name as an author, and googling his name with other game shows isn't turning anything up.)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:22 am Today's game had a couple of firsts (as far as airing order is concerned) for this incarnation: the first contestants who aren't J! alumni making it to the Final Chase, and the first game with no contestants eliminated. Jen Aprahamian represented J! from the floor of the set, but George Holt and Eric Ambler apparently haven't had their chops tested at Sony. (Eric looked familiar to me, but he's got the same name as an author, and googling his name with other game shows isn't turning anything up.)
Thanks for the J! alum research.

The last Q of the show
Spoiler
was an earl to duchess connection which Ken could have had with less than a second more. Ken should have been faster on Beowulf while Ken of course wants to point to his baseball card miss as the key. Nice pay day although I'm not sure that team gets their score to hold against James or Brad. Ken can't let teams go 3/3 against him so his final appearance has to be a notch for the "Professor"?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Ken is better off as a Master Mind rather than a Chaser.

So many NHO's for me in this episode. Girls Who Code is the name of a company? 227 is the name of a TV show? I sound like TPH right now.
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:42 am Ken is better off as a Master Mind rather than a Chaser.

So many NHO's for me in this episode. Girls Who Code is the name of a company? 227 is the name of a TV show? I sound like TPH right now.
J! had the CEO of Girls Who Code read clues on Monday!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:42 am Ken is better off as a Master Mind rather than a Chaser.

227 ran from 1985-1990 and was a majority-black sitcom set in Washington DC. It starred Marla Gibbs and Jackee (a .k. a. Jackee Harry)
LucarioSnooperVixey

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:57 am

This is what I get for falling behind.
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

It would help if he had someone who could read the questions with some urgency. Sarah read that penultimate question so incredibly slowly. You can hear the speed difference when she starts to read the final one.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:57 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:42 am Girls Who Code is the name of a company?
I guess we know which show taped first. I wonder if there were some behind the scenes moaning on the day Ken taped that J! episode.

[Ken's voice in my mental image] We're having WHO read the clues in a category? Why couldn't we have had this category a month ago?
--Peter
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

The cop was very impressive. That backstage chat was hard to hear last night. And yes, Brooke Burns & Bradley Walsh were much better clue readers. I guess abc has Haines under contract. She’s awful.
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

My thoughts:

1) She reads the Chaser's questions a little slower.

2) The Chaser generally gets longer questions, which naturally eat away at his time.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Armandillo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:33 pm My thoughts:

1) She reads the Chaser's questions a little slower.

2) The Chaser generally gets longer questions, which naturally eat away at his time.
Re 2: Before the final chase is played, the contestants choose between two sets of questions (off camera in this incarnation). They get their choice, the Chaser gets the other. Any question length disadvantage the Chaser has is either coincidence or confirmation bias.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:28 pm
It would help if he had someone who could read the questions with some urgency. Sarah read that penultimate question so incredibly slowly. You can hear the speed difference when she starts to read the final one.
Yeah, I thought she slowed her reading noticeably in the last segment. To me, it seemed to border intentional. Brooke's reading was certainly faster, but there was a shrillness that I found off-putting. Not that Sarah's reading is the most mellifluous either...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Like Mahjong what fruity sounding word game is also played with 144 tiles?
Spoiler
Bananagrams
From 1912 to 1959 how many stars were on the US flag?
Spoiler
I like that Jeopardy! gives the response after reading the clue. The Chase also does, but sometimes it doesn't.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:36 am Tonight's J! veteran: https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9776
Thanks, I added a line to Julio's J! page.

Contestants 4
Chasers 2

ABC's money - a lot more than GSN gave away on their version of course
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:06 am I like that Jeopardy! gives the response after reading the clue. The Chase also does, but sometimes it doesn't.
Yes this seems like it should be a fundamental rule of a quiz show, if you ask a question, you need to give the answer. Even if time runs out and we only hear half of a question, say the answer!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:06 am Like Mahjong what fruity sounding word game is also played with 144 tiles?
Spoiler
Bananagrams
If I recall correctly, that was the only question from Julio's cash builder that I didn't get. I even own a set! But I got stuck on thinking of apps, with Mahjong making me think of the tile-matching game Shanghai (aka Mahjong solitaire), in which the 144 (virtual) tiles are laid out on the (virtual) board at the start.
LucarioSnooperVixey

This show is heavily skewed towards the contestants winning. Any other Chase versions have the contestants quite seldomly win. The game is more fun when the game is harder to win and more contestants lose, like GSN shows where there is only one winner per week.

Classic moment where the contestant gets a question about her own name.

The Chase and Master Minds were sending vibes this week as the 2019 word of the year, “They” showed up on both shows this week.
Douglas Squasoni