Thursday, January 15, 2009 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 15, 2009 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

The day of Sully's famous flight.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 15, 2009 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WRITER/DIRECTORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His headstone, using a line from one of his scripts, says, "I'm a writer but then nobody's perfect"

Greg Jones: 14400+14399=28799
Meagan Grote: 17400+11500=28900 (New Champ)
Bill Menezes: 10800-10798=2

Correct response:
Spoiler
Billy Wilder (Bill – Alfred Hitchcock)

Daily Doubles
Greg: 800-1000
Meagan: 6200+2000
Meagan: 13800+2000

Coryats
Greg: 15400
Meagan: 17000
Bill: 10800

Combined: 43,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Greg: 3600
Meagan: 4600
Bill: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's archived: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2872

An FJ! clue that's easy when you know where it's going or for someone like Bill, throw a dart and hope to get lucky.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Pump It "Up", I Was His Veep, Astrology, :)
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: JD Salinger DD, horn, Zachary Taylor, Scorpio Virgo & Leo, nitrogen, carbon
FJ: typical category to ruin the perfecto. :roll:
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:52 am An FJ! clue that's easy when you know where it's going...
Word. Did not know Billy Wilder was a writer, but did not know the writer Some Like It Hot, so decided to go with Wilder.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $45,000 (49R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Can't honestly say I consciously made the connections on FJ, but I absolutely made them subconsciously, as I just had a strong feeling it HAD to be Billy Wilder. That one would have been way, way, way out of reach for me before I started studying a little over a year ago.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Yet another hyper-generic name that will literally never stick in my head.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Anybody remember if there was any discussion on the old board about what happened with the penultimate clue of this game?

Greg deserves to be brought back, IMHO.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^I remember there was a huge amount of debate about what happened at MISSING ELEMENTS for $1600 on the old boards when the episode first aired myself.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Greg reminds me of John Denver

I've seen Elvis Costello once, opening for Steely Dan in Albuquerque five or six years ago

We're still five or six years before the beginning of the temptation to follow up Aaron Burr's name with "Sir"

Not to be confused with a Face/Off

How is William of Ockham for "Razor" a $2000 clue?

Came up with Scorpio and Leo, couldn't get Virgo in time

Adam West for '60s TV Batman is another clue that seems way overvalued at $2000

And carbon as the missing element in what's clearly an alcohol, also at $2000--this is one that I'm genuinely surprised was a triple-stumper

Coryat: $37,000

J: 20R9P1W. Missed DD. 4/5 on Car Talk (I said "leaf springs" instead of "shock absorbers," had to look up when they were invented to decide whether to neg myself on it or not), Pump it Up, and Niagara Falls. 2/5 on Elvis Costello

DJ: 22R8P. 1/2 on DDs (couldn't come up with Pisces in time, probably because I haven't been eyed when I'm weak lately). 5/5 on Philosophy and Elements. 4/5 on Dance and "F". 2/5 on Veep and Astrology.

FJ: Nope. Said Hitchcock, knew it was probably wrong because Hitchcock wasn't really known for his wit but couldn't come up with anyone else

LT: trees, horn, nitrogen, carbon
davey

Post by davey »

TriviaBug wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:33 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:52 am An FJ! clue that's easy when you know where it's going...
Word. Did not know Billy Wilder was a writer, but did not know the writer Some Like It Hot, so decided to go with Wilder.
Wilder was a very successful writer for years before he directed his first film in the US in 1942. He usually (maybe always) wrote with a partner, Charles Brackett in the 30s and 40s, I.A.L. Diamond for the rest of his career through the 1970s.
So if you did know the writer(s) of Some Like it Hot you could - but probably wouldn't - have guessed I.A.L. Diamond. That's why the category was Writer/Directors...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (J.D. Salinger), Trees, Horn, Zachary Taylor; Leo, Virgo, and Scorpio; Nitrogen, Carbon
Douglas Squasoni
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:55 pm Anybody remember if there was any discussion on the old board about what happened with the penultimate clue of this game?

Yep, I remember that. In fact, Meagan stood out to me when I watched tonight, and I knew I was recognizing her for a reason beyond her name and appearance. I thought she might have been the player who won from third place despite second place also getting FJ right in this game, but I remembered the other player involved enough to know that wasn't it. Then in the astrology category I remembered her late DD pull, and then when they started the elements category, I remembered, "Oh yeah, the silicon/silicone issue."
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

It's been a tough FJ! week for me, picking responses that are plausible but incorrect. Today was Mel Brooks.

[edit: Huh, it appears Mel Brooks it still alive. Whoops.]
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:16 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:55 pm Anybody remember if there was any discussion on the old board about what happened with the penultimate clue of this game?

Yep, I remember that. In fact, Meagan stood out to me when I watched tonight, and I knew I was recognizing her for a reason beyond her name and appearance. I thought she might have been the player who won from third place despite second place also getting FJ right in this game, but I remembered the other player involved enough to know that wasn't it. Then in the astrology category I remembered her late DD pull, and then when they started the elements category, I remembered, "Oh yeah, the silicon/silicone issue."
I wasn’t on the old boards, but I agree she should have been negged - her initial response was very clear and wrong. Greg got ripped off.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:21 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:16 am

I wasn’t on the old boards, but I agree she should have been negged - her initial response was very clear and wrong. Greg got ripped off.
I've always been on the "first response should count" side, but there is clear precedence (now -- whether or not that had been established in '09, I'm not sure) that so long as you correct yourself before being ruled wrong, you can change your response.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:39 am I've always been on the "first response should count" side, but there is clear precedence (now -- whether or not that had been established in '09, I'm not sure) that so long as you correct yourself before being ruled wrong, you can change your response.
Meagan was not the first to save herself by saying a second thing when the first was wrong—Donna Vogel did it twice during her run in 2008. The first one was a DD (FINANCE $2,000) where she seemed to realize the moment her first response was out of her mouth that there was a better choice, and immediately switched. (Arguably this didn't change the game's outcome: only third place got FJ right but had too little to win, and the $10,000 swing for Donna made the difference between a crush lead and a close second with third locked out, and she had made the appropriate bet from the latter scenario in the prior game.) In the second occurrence, she gave a close-but-no-cigar response to a $2,000 clue (in THE MIDDLE EAST), and when Alex breathed in a hesitating, "I hate to have to do this" fashion, she corrected herself, and Alex presumably was happy not to have to rule her wrong. (This one also preserved a pre-FJ lead for her, but she and second place both got FJ right.)

Maybe Meagan's the first to change her answer and get it accepted after Alex asked her to repeat herself (there are earlier examples of other people doing the same, only for Alex to say, "No, that's not what you said before, which was wrong").
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:06 pm
TriviaBug wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:33 pm
Wilder was a very successful writer for years before he directed his first film in the US in 1942. He usually (maybe always) wrote with a partner, Charles Brackett in the 30s and 40s, I.A.L. Diamond for the rest of his career through the 1970s.
So if you did know the writer(s) of Some Like it Hot you could - but probably wouldn't - have guessed I.A.L. Diamond. That's why the category was Writer/Directors...
(Name-drop warning ...) A few weeks after my first J! appearances, the actor David Selby came to my hometown to host a WWTBAM-themed fundraiser. When we were introduced, the first thing he said was "you know who's a huge 'Jeopardy!' fan? Billy Wilder!" He and Selby, IIRC, were neighbors. Always thought it was cool that schlubs like us could provide entertainment for icons such as Wilder and Bob Hope (who, I remember reading, was a habitual J! viewer).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm not even following the breadcrumbs on this one. He was a director.