2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:17 am Is it indeed the ten-minute version of "All Too Well" that's at #1 on the Hot 100? I've seen the record-breaking touted by everyone except Billboard themselves (and considering Tool's "Fear Inoculum" got a Billboard headline for being the longest Hot 100 song ever after it peaked at #93, official word here is conspicuous in its absence). The #1 listing on Billboard.com says "All Too Well (Taylor's Version)," and my understanding is that the track of this name is a fairly faithful re-recording of the 2012 song, while the one with "(Ten-Minute Version)" in the title is the extended cut.

(Note: Even if it is the ten-minute version, Tool still has the duration record for Hot 100 singles.)
Billboard combines the 5- and 10- minute versions:

https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-b ... 235001340/
“All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)” was released on Red (Taylor’s Version) Nov. 12 on Republic Records, via two versions on the set: its 5-minute, 29-second and 10-minute, 13-second versions, both of which are combined into one listing on Billboard‘s charts. (The song’s original 5-minute, 29-second 2012 version is tracked separately.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:06 am At 10 minutes and 13 seconds, Taylor Swift’s extended version of “All Too Well” is now the longest-playing #1 hit of all time, replacing Don McLean’s “American Pie.” According to Billboard, McLean's song, which runs 8 minutes and 37 seconds, had held the distinction for nearly 50 years since hitting #1 in January 1972.

The day the music died, indeed.
We would also have accepted, "So it's bye bye [Miss] American Pie".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:26 am Billboard combines the 5- and 10- minute versions:

“All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)” was released on Red (Taylor’s Version) Nov. 12 on Republic Records, via two versions on the set: its 5-minute, 29-second and 10-minute, 13-second versions, both of which are combined into one listing on Billboard‘s charts. (The song’s original 5-minute, 29-second 2012 version is tracked separately.)
Thanks for the clarification. The article plays havoc with my phone browser and prevents me from seeing the whole thing. That distinction gives it a Maris-esque asterisk in my mind.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:11 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:26 am Billboard combines the 5- and 10- minute versions:

Thanks for the clarification. The article plays havoc with my phone browser and prevents me from seeing the whole thing. That distinction gives it a Maris-esque asterisk in my mind.
Co-signed. I feel the same way about the multipokle remixes of "Old Town Road".
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:17 am Is it indeed the ten-minute version of "All Too Well" that's at #1 on the Hot 100? I've seen the record-breaking touted by everyone except Billboard themselves (and considering Tool's "Fear Inoculum" got a Billboard headline for being the longest Hot 100 song ever after it peaked at #93, official word here is conspicuous in its absence). The #1 listing on Billboard.com says "All Too Well (Taylor's Version)," and my understanding is that the track of this name is a fairly faithful re-recording of the 2012 song, while the one with "(Ten-Minute Version)" in the title is the extended cut.

(Note: Even if it is the ten-minute version, Tool still has the duration record for Hot 100 singles.)
duration record? do you mean longest time in the Hot 100? If you do, isn't that currently led by Blinding Lights?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 pm duration record? do you mean longest time in the Hot 100?
No, longest song
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:39 pm duration record? do you mean longest time in the Hot 100?
No, longest song
how does that work when Taylor's song is 10 minutes and has the record? what am I missing in this?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

In case anyone is wondering about the shortest #1, I believe that is "Stay" at 1:38
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:43 pm
No, longest song
how does that work when Taylor's song is 10 minutes and has the record? what am I missing in this?
Hers is the longest #1. Tool's is the longest in the Top 100.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:49 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:43 pm
No, longest song
Hers is the longest #1. Tool's is the longest in the Top 100.
now i've got it...thank you
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2021 Current Events Study GUIDE. Study GUIDE.

Post by davey »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:51 pm Legendary Broadway scribe Stephen Sondheim has died at age 91.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/26/thea ... -dead.html
This is one I really could see with a tribute category, or just more clues in the future. He was a towering figure in American theater. Note that his reputation was built as a lyricist and composer - "scribe" isn't really the word.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:53 am https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/06/jack-in ... -deal.html

Jack-in-the-Box buys out Del Taco.
Great. Just what Del Taco needs. Cockroaches and E. coli. If I wanted that I'd go to Chipotle.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:05 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:53 am https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/06/jack-in ... -deal.html

Jack-in-the-Box buys out Del Taco.
Great. Just what Del Taco needs. Cockroaches and E. coli. If I wanted that I'd go to Chipotle.
It’s just the inevitable consolidation of crappy food outlets. (Sorry if there are any fans of either reading this)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Carlsen is now up three whole stinking games. I really hope he Bongclouds his next turn on white. Added bonus: chess's old guard would all drop dead of heart attacks.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

nserven wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:37 am Voters in the South Pacific island territory of New Caledonia vote for the territory to remain a part of France.
Which, due to an obscure provision in the Edict of Nantes, means Elizabeth is still their queen.
jberry
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jberry »

I've questions regarding Billboard's treatment of this song.

What might be a good reason for Billboard to have combined the two versions of the song into one chart entry?

Other albums, by other artists, have included multiple versions of the same "base" charting song, and those multiple song versions were not fused together into a combined Billboard chart construct. Nor were any of the songs' secondary versions' characteristics cherry-picked and then applied to the whole in order to earn recognition of the song as an outstanding achievement.

The language used here by Billboard implies that there is only one song: The article uses "All Too Well (Taylor's Version)" to represent both the shorter version of the song usually named thereby, as well as the longer version of the song, the longer version of which is almost always identified in other places (including in other places on the Billboard website) as "All Too Well (10 Minute Version)".

This song has become a record-setter in the Longest Song Duration category via the application of some dubious rationale.

My second query regards the use of the word "set" in the quoted excerpt from the Billboard website. In other places on the same website, the Billboard charts identify Red (Taylor's Version) as an "album" in the standard manner.

In the context of musicians and their recording process, the word "set" has the meaning of "the music recorded at one session." Yet the word has no such application here. If Billboard intends to further dilute the traditional concept of the music album by propagating the notion of songs organized into less-formal collections (such as is seen in the practice of artists releasing "playlists"), then we arrive at another question. Which role best suits Billboard: Gatekeeper or iconoclast? Can that beast thrive which is a cat of variegated stripes?

As an authoritative source of pop music news and information, Billboard abrogates its responsibility by employing inscrutable reasoning and sloppy word usage. By these acts Billboard has liquidated a portion of its finite store of precious cultural cachet. It may be that the amount of this debit is never recovered.

Billboard does as it will—thus Billboard pays the price.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bluejaylink wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:19 pm NYT Quiz: Notable People of 2021

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... -quiz.html

I got paywalled when I clicked the link from another site. I was able to get in by Google searching the article.
If you can get access to the quiz it is worth doing. I guessed Greene for a bunch of ones I did not recognize and was wrong every time.

The Buck and Angel were my best gets according to solve percentage. America, what a country that 6% don't know Prez or VP.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:39 am If you can get access to the quiz it is worth doing. I guessed Greene for a bunch of ones I did not recognize and was wrong every time.
I alternated between her and
Spoiler
Liz Cheney
on the blonde female politician-looking ones, and finally was wrong when one of them came up.

My three best gets were from sports, and my most undeserved "close enough" was
Spoiler
Jerome Powell, when I wrote Paul
. On the other hand, I was robbed on
Spoiler
BTS
, assuming I was supposed to name the central figure in the picture.

I also chose Google search to access and it worked fine.
I'm smart and I want respect.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I recognized GIannis Antetokounmpo but I had no idea how to spell his name. I probably should have at least tried entering his first name, but I didn't think about it until later.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

clprez wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:50 pm I recognized GIannis Antetokounmpo but I had no idea how to spell his name. I probably should have at least tried entering his first name, but I didn't think about it until later.
Giannis was accepted. The jury is out if "Greek Freak" would've been accepted.

I got 38/52 correct and probably should've been able to pull 3 more. I guess watching too much TV while working from home pays off when it comes to online quizzes with no prize. My "best get" was MJ Rodriguez and "worst miss" was Sinema, but I really shouldn't have gotten credit writing Paul for Powell.