2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Johnblue »

arjavrawal wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:58 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:47 pm
polaris wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:53 pm Note that due to Joe Biden being old:

> Donald Trump is the FIRST president to be older than at least two predecessors AND younger than at least one successor
>>>>> In fact, he is older than three predecessors AND younger than at least one successor

> George Bush is the FIRST president to be older than at least one predecessor AND younger than at least two successors

> Joe Biden is the second president to be older than four predecessors

You can review this spreadsheet for further details:

https://gofile.io/d/tigyg4

~

> If 47 is born after 1961 (after August 4 to be spec.)
>>>> They will be the first since Eisenhower to be younger than all their predecessors AND older than all their successors [but the second part of that would be subject to change for c. 40 years]
I'm taking the odds that 47 will be Kamala Harris and relatively soon. :|
Wouldn't be so sure about that. Biden is remarkably healthy for a 77 year old. Don't count him out.

He’s 78 and his health is questionable. I try not to watch him much but I did see a puff piece before the SB & Gertrude did most of the speaking. Probably dead in a year.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 am I will say that I make it a practice to never rely on comic strips for legal advice.
Uh oh.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Here's a name you will likely never hear on J!, and yet it's a name you may well have encountered a hundred times while watching a movie or TV series.

The first casting director ever to be honored with an Academy Award (2017), Lynn Stalmaster has died at the age of 93. From the mid-1950s through the late 1990s, Stalmaster worked on nearly 200 films and nearly as many TV programs. In 1968, he became the first casting director to receive a separate title card on a feature film, The Thomas Crown Affair.

A few of Stalmaster's film credits: The Great Escape, Inherit the Wind, Judgment at Nuremberg, In the Heat of the Night, The Graduate, They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?, Fiddler on the Roof, Deliverance, Superman, Being There, Coming Home, 10, Tootsie, and The Right Stuff.

Legendary.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Something that crossed my mind today: it's wild that Trump's presidency was bookended by victories in which less than half the votes went his way.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Earlier today I thought to myself it was surprising that none of the expected guys had updated the main thread for the Daytona 500 winner. I had not watched a second of it. It was not until 7:30 when I went to "watch" my recording of the new game show Cherries Wild that I was instead met with racing on Fox. I then understood the lack of the new tidbit for the race winner.

I've now finished archiving a 1986 game and the Daytona is still going on. My viewing coin will now go to Queen Latifah on CBS vs. Ryan & Friends (and singers) on ABC.

It was nice of Showtime to have Your Honor available this morning so that I could see the finale ( :shock:) long before tonight.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

It's a good thing the Daytona speedway isn't in a residential neighborhood, with the race going past midnight!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Between the wreck last night and Dale Earnhardt's fatal accident on the last lap in 2001, I think for safety's sake they need to shorten it to the Daytona 498 from now on.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:25 pm Between the wreck last night and Dale Earnhardt's fatal accident on the last lap in 2001, I think for safety's sake they need to shorten it to the Daytona 498 from now on.
If they keep crashing on the last lap the sensible thing to do is to end the race on the second-to-last lap.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 pm
mas3cf wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:25 pm Between the wreck last night and Dale Earnhardt's fatal accident on the last lap in 2001, I think for safety's sake they need to shorten it to the Daytona 498 from now on.
If they keep crashing on the last lap the sensible thing to do is to end the race on the second-to-last lap.
That's the joke (well, rounded up).
Spoiler
A lap is 2.5 mi, so ending a lap early turns it into the Daytona 497.5
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:14 am
MattKnowles wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 pm
That's the joke (well, rounded up).
Spoiler
A lap is 2.5 mi, so ending a lap early turns it into the Daytona 497.5
Spoiler
but NASCAR just throws flags whenever they want for no real reason *cough* stage racing *cough*, so they could still make it the Daytona 498
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

threearruda wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:11 pm
me, quite literally the other day wrote:Country crossover star Morgan Wallen (from Tennessee, mullet guy) is also a name to know if you don’t already - latest album is called Dangerous; "7 summers" and "More Than My Hometown" are his latest singles.
...Guess I spoke too soon.
Even before this incident, I remained absolutely stunned that his Wikipedia article does not have a picture of him, nor can anyone find an uncopyrighted/freely licensed one suitable for use. I was able to easily find several pictures of far more obscure country singers (some of which I took myself), but none of mullet-boy. Did he have a photography ban at his concerts or something?

I never liked his music and never got his appeal, I am infuriated with people defending him, saying things like "It's just a word", or stubbornly sticking to his music and revenge-buying it. Every time I hear another artist brought up in conversation, it seems like there's always someone who tries to turn the conversation back to him and their love of him.

I don't want him to set a precedent. I have e-mailed over 50 radio stations, politely asking them to use his absence as an opportunity to introduce more BIPOC artists to their roster. (Did you know that the highest charting country song by a solo black woman was released in 1969?)

From this incident has come a discussion that I have been actively involved with on Twitter regarding the treatment of race in country music, particularly of black women. I have interacted with Mickey Guyton (currently the only black woman on a major country label), Rissi Palmer (independent country artist who hosts a show on Apple Radio), and many other singers. I was part of a successful movement to boost sales of Guyton's EP on iTunes when another singer gifted me a copy.

Rissi assembled a great Spotify playlist that has a lot of songs (some of which are already on my personal playlist):

A fellow reviewer found this song, "I Will Follow" by a very talented vocal group called Chapel Hart. I was able to put together a WIkipedia article on them, and even convinced both of my local country music stations (WKJC and WATZ) to add them. Chapel Hart was extremely grateful to me for both of these:

I haven't found a link to it yet, but Maren Morris and Luke Combs held a seminar about racial issues in country music. Among other things, Luke regretted appearing in earlier music videos where the Confederate flag was flown.

As an aside, Wallen's video came the same day that T.J. Osborne, lead singer of Brothers Osborne, came out as gay. This made him the first openly gay act signed to a major label (previous country artists who had come out, including Ty Herndon, Chely Wright, Shane McAnally, and Billy Gilman, did not do so until after they had left major labels). As both a big fan of Brothers Osborne and an openly pansexual country music fan (Oh, you didn't know I'm pansexual? Well, I guess you do now), I am extremely supportive of them and any other LGBT+ country artists.

If you can think of any way to spread the word on any of these artists, I would be highly grateful.
Volante

Post by Volante »

New Mars rover to add to the deck. Perseverance

https://gizmodo.com/here-are-the-first- ... 1846300579
All six wheels of NASA’s Perseverance are firmly and safely on the Martian surface, following a successful landing of the rover in Jezero crater today.
Perseverance, also known as “Percy,” is now the fifth rover to reach the Martian surface, the others being Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity, and Curiosity, the latter of which is still in operation today (another probe, the stationary InSight Lander, is also studying the planet).
It landed using the same skycrane "seven minutes of terror" method that Curiosity used
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:35 pm New Mars rover to add to the deck. Perseverance

All six wheels of NASA’s Perseverance are firmly and safely on the Martian surface, following a successful landing of the rover in Jezero crater today.
Perseverance, also known as “Percy,” is now the fifth rover to reach the Martian surface, the others being Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity, and Curiosity, the latter of which is still in operation today (another probe, the stationary InSight Lander, is also studying the planet).
It landed using the same skycrane "seven minutes of terror" method that Curiosity used
They should move this post to the main thread. It's really informative. Plus, usually forget this thread when making my flashcards.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:29 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:35 pm New Mars rover to add to the deck. Perseverance

They should move this post to the main thread. It's really informative. Plus, usually forget this thread when making my flashcards.
Geebus, I must have been past running on fumes yesterday...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Clark County (Las Vegas & Nevada) has voted to change McCarran International Airport to Harry Reid.

I'm putting it here instead of the main thread since the change is not official yet. Definitely J! material down the line.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:26 pm Clark County (Las Vegas & Nevada) has voted to change McCarran International Airport to Harry Reid.
Good fact. I hadn't heard it till now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:26 pm Clark County (Las Vegas & Nevada) has voted to change McCarran International Airport to Harry Reid.
Honestly, if they need to change the name, there's really nothing wrong with Las Vegas International Airport.
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:13 pm
Honestly, if they need to change the name, there's really nothing wrong with Las Vegas International Airport.
Or really mess with people... "(The) Meadows International Airport"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Which would immediately be nicknamed a pun or wordplay on 57, if some such exists. Something like "Big Heinz," but more clever.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:58 pm
Which would immediately be nicknamed a pun or wordplay on 57, if some such exists. Something like "Big Heinz," but more clever.
You mean 56?