2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by cinemaniax7 »

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

teapot37 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:42 pm Phil Mickelson wins the 2021 PGA Championship for his sixth major championship (3 Masters, 2 PGAs, 1 British Open; he has come second at the US Open six times, most recently 2013). At age 50, he is the oldest man to win a major.
I'm so inspired by Mickelson's feat, I think maybe I'll win on J! this year. :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wonder what the oldest age is for someone to win a game on Jeopardy.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:29 pm I wonder what the oldest age is for someone to win a game on Jeopardy.
Regular play or Seniors Tournament? Jerry Harvey from KJ1 was no spring chicken.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:29 pm I wonder what the oldest age is for someone to win a game on Jeopardy.
If you just type "oldest jeopardy winner" into Google, it returns an answer of "Ken Jennings, age 30" which seems... inaccurate.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:32 pm
Regular play or Seniors Tournament? Jerry Harvey from KJ1 was no spring chicken.
I guess either one. It would be very difficult (if not impossible) to know for certain.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:53 pm Helio Castroneves becomes the fourth four time winner of the Indy 500.
At 46 he's kinda like the Tom Brady of auto racing.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:27 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:53 pm Helio Castroneves becomes the fourth four time winner of the Indy 500.
At 46 he's kinda like the Tom Brady of auto racing.
The only championship Helio has is last year in IMSA
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf

Post by Golf »

econgator wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:02 pm Naomi Osaka withdraws from the French Open citing health issues. Osaka had previously stated she would not attend any press conferences as they had an adverse effect on her mentally and was willing to pay any fines that resulted from her missing them.
In 2020 Osaka was the highest paid female athlete making over 37 million dollars combining prize money and endorsements. This was the most money ever earned by a woman athlete in a year. For her short career so far she has earned almost 20 million just on the court. At age 24 she's probably brought in around 100 million dollars for playing a sport.

Press conferences are simply a part of being a professional athlete. The better you are, the more money you make and the more you have to face the media. It's not a bad problem to have. Yes, the press ask incredibly stupid questions across all sports a lot of the time. That's part of it.

I don't wish poor mental health on anybody and hope she steps away to recharge and comes back strong. But at the same time she needs to realize it's just a part of her job.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

While my take on the Osaka issue is similar to that of Golf, in the public's eye the issue will be irrevocably intertwined with the ongoing controversy regarding poor fan behavior at NBA playoff games. This will ultimately be to her benefit from a PR perspective.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:39 pm she needs to realize it's just a part of her job.
That’s not how mental health works; she can’t “just” choose to do that.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

With a 3-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens, your Toronto Maple Leafs now hold the longest Stanley Cup drought in NHL history. The team has not won the Cup since 1967. The Montreal Maroons, a team that folded in 1938, have won a 3rd-round series more recently than the Leafs.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Osaka screamed in my ear once as I was walking in front of her at a tennis tournament. She’s pretty nasty. Still, she does seem a bit stressed so it’s probably best for her to take some time off. Her sister retired from tennis the other day & mentioned not liking the sport.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:55 pm With a 3-1 loss to the Montreal Canadiens, your Toronto Maple Leafs now hold the longest Stanley Cup drought in NHL history. The team has not won the Cup since 1967. The Montreal Maroons, a team that folded in 1938, have won a 3rd-round series more recently than the Leafs.
A friend of mine from New York, who also roots for the Oakland A's, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Kansas Jayhawks, is a fan of the Leafs. Once, years ago he was in Toronto wearing their jersey when a local woman, having no idea where he was from, asked/said "you root for THEM?!?"
I'm smart and I want respect.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Golf wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:39 pm Press conferences are simply a part of being a professional athlete.
Is there any other job where that's true? I think in any other job, you can hire a spokesperson to address media questions for you.

I am at best a casual or fair-weather sports fan, but to me, the athlete news conference is the snooziest part of sports. It extracts perhaps one interesting insight for every thousand hours of footage. The only press conference that stands out in the last five years, more infamous than famous, is the one where Rudy Gobert touched all the microphones to mock the transmission of coronavirus, then tested positive and shut down the NBA. I'm all for making reporters available to athletes who want to say something, but ending the press conference requirements in professional sports. Let athletes say what they want to say through their athletic feats, if that is what they prefer.

RIP B.J. Thomas. I didn't know his name until he was already dead and for some reason always just thought Burt Bacharach sang "Raindrops". (Among archived clues, Thomas was a response three times.) But Thomas made "Raindrops" and his other hits sound easy to sing, when they weren't, and aren't. Especially on "Raindrops", he made it sound like it was just a regular guy, not a singer, singing it. Few others could have done half as good a job at adding that veneer of facility and simplicity.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:38 pm RIP B.J. Thomas. I didn't know his name until he was already dead and for some reason always just thought Burt Bacharach sang "Raindrops". (Among archived clues, Thomas was a response three times.)
Though technically true, three other clues in the archive required contestants, when given Thomas's name, to know the title of his biggest hit single.
teapot37 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:16 pm The Canadian Football League franchise in Edmonton has announced that their new team name is the "Edmonton Elks". The team had been known as the "Edmonton Football Team" since July 2020 after dropping their old name, the "Eskimos", due to that word being increasingly seen in Canada as a racial slur against the Inuit.
As an upper-mid-level sports fan, I have watched a couple of CFL games and am familiar with such colorful team names as the Blue Bombers, Alouettes, Argonauts, and Stampeders. Yet I had no idea the Edmonton team was called the Eskimos. Either that particular brain cell was cut from the roster or blew its assignment.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

In a more trivial vein, BJ Thomas's "(Hey Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song" is the longest-titled Billboard #1 ever if (a) you don't count medleys, and (b) you do include any parentheticals in the title (the medley, by the way, is Stars on 45's 1981 “Medley: Intro Venus/Sugar Sugar/No Reply/I’ll Be Back/Drive My Car/Do You Want to Know a Secret/We Can Work It Out/ I Should Have Known Better/Nowhere Man/You’re Going to Lose That Girl/Stars on 45”).
I'm smart and I want respect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I know someone who once played for the Eskimos. He also played for the Washington Redskins.

If someone doesn’t want to give a press conference they shouldn’t be forced to do so. The world won’t end if I don’t hear an athlete’s comments on a game I just watched.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:02 pm If someone doesn’t want to give a press conference they shouldn’t be forced to do so. The world won’t end if I don’t hear an athlete’s comments on a game I just watched.
Not necessarily for the uniformed sports, but tennis, auto racing, etc. your sponsors are paying you to be in front of the camera wearing their gear and saying their name.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:44 pm It's been reported that Duke men's basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski will retire after the upcoming 2021-22 season. "Coach K" has been at the helm of the Blue Devils since 1980; his 42 seasons is the second-longest current tenure in all of college basketball and longest in Division I (behind Herb Magee, who's been at the head of Division II Jefferson since 1967). Including his five years as the coach at Army before taking the Duke job, he has amassed a 1170-361 record, the most career wins of any college basketball coach, men's or women's.
Any mention on if he will continue to coach Team USA basketball?