2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:13 pm I wonder what kind of conversations a future heart surgeon had with Berra.
I hope they talked about Boo-Boos.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:22 pm Emmy-winning actress Jessica Walter has died at the age of 80. Walter won a 1974 Emmy for playing the title role in the crime drama series Amy Prentiss, a spinoff of Ironside. In 1971, she played the stalker to Clint Eastwood's deejay in the movie Play Misty for Me, Eastwood's first film as a director.

In recent years, Walter was best known for her ensemble work on shows with a cult following. She starred as the manipulative alcoholic Lucille Bluth in the comedy series Arrested Development. She voiced super spy Sterling Archer's mother and boss in the animated series Archer.
Well, she's been an answer once in the last 30+ years, for Archer.

For me she was the voice of Fran Sinclair in the TV show Dinosaurs which by the way recently started streaming on Disney+. And hilariously, the physics benefactor Leonard slept with to get an expensive fancy gizmo for the lab on The Big Bang Theory.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Golf wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:52 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:22 pm Emmy-winning actress Jessica Walter has died at the age of 80. Walter won a 1974 Emmy for playing the title role in the crime drama series Amy Prentiss, a spinoff of Ironside. In 1971, she played the stalker to Clint Eastwood's deejay in the movie Play Misty for Me, Eastwood's first film as a director.

In recent years, Walter was best known for her ensemble work on shows with a cult following. She starred as the manipulative alcoholic Lucille Bluth in the comedy series Arrested Development. She voiced super spy Sterling Archer's mother and boss in the animated series Archer.
Well, she's been an answer once in the last 30+ years, for Archer.

For me she was the voice of Fran Sinclair in the TV show Dinosaurs which by the way recently started streaming on Disney+. And hilariously, the physics benefactor Leonard slept with to get an expensive fancy gizmo for the lab on The Big Bang Theory.
Arrested Development seems to be a favorite of the J! writers, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Walter pop up on the big board in the coming months. BTW, I thoroughly enjoyed Dinosaurs and never missed an episode.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 pm Perhaps a very deep dive, but the name is iconic enough that it's conceivable it might pop up.

Bombardier has announced that after 58 years of continuous production, Learjet production will cease before the end of 2021.

https://aviationweek.com/business-aviat ... production
What if I just want to buy a cabin?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:14 pm Perhaps a very deep dive, but the name is iconic enough that it's conceivable it might pop up.

Bombardier has announced that after 58 years of continuous production, Learjet production will cease before the end of 2021.

Not Learjet specifically, but we had a client that was owned by two very wealthy, competitive sisters. One would go out and buy a Gulfstream II, then the other would get herself a Gulfstream III. So then the first sister later got a Gulfstream IV, so sister #2 got a Gulfstream V. Not a bad game to play when you can afford to do so.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:54 am

Not Learjet specifically, but we had a client that was owned by two very wealthy, competitive sisters. One would go out and buy a Gulfstream II, then the other would get herself a Gulfstream III. So then the first sister later got a Gulfstream IV, so sister #2 got a Gulfstream V. Not a bad game to play when you can afford to do so.
Maybe they were training to be televangelists .......

(the video has several freezes and glitches)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Volante wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:04 pm In volcano news, a newcomer enters the game! (I've done Ring of Fire, Iceland and Italy, but no Caribbean entry yet)

https://earther.gizmodo.com/explosive-e ... 1846650518
On Friday, the small Caribbean island of St. Vincent [of St. Vincent and the Grenadines] became the epicenter of the seismic world when La Soufriere volcano sent a cloud of ash flying 20,000 feet (6,096 meters) into the sky and streaming across the Atlantic.
La Soufriėre on St. Vincent, not to be confused with Soufrière Hills on Montserrat. Threw me for a loop at first.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:23 pm Right-handed pitcher Joe Musgrove threw a no-hitter on April 9 against the Texas Rangers. It is the first no-hitter ever by a Padres pitcher.

I'm not absolutely certain about this, but I believe the San Diego Padres were the last remaining MLB team never to record a no-hitter in franchise history.
Yep:
https://www.mlb.com/news/every-mlb-team ... c276325568

That said, a few of those are combined no hitters which, IMO, don't count. The Orioles now have the longest single pitcher no hitter drought, with Jim Palmer's on Aug 13, 1969.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

A man who is unlikely to ever grace a clue on the big board, film director Richard Rush died a few days ago at the age of 91. Rush was Oscar-nominated both for writing and directing 1980's The Stunt Man, which earned Peter O'Toole a Best Actor nomination for playing a megalomaniacal film director based largely on Rush himself. French auteur Francois Truffaut once called Rush his favorite American director.

The Stunt Man is an underappreciated classic about the magic of movies that failed to find an audience due to 20th Century Fox's mishandling of the film. On the DVD commentary, Peter O'Toole says of the film, "The film wasn't released; it escaped." Nevertheless, it is well worth your time—a gem waiting to be discovered.

The movie is mentioned three times in the J! Archive.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:02 am Looks like this is a thing that is actually happening, rather than just threatening to happen...

European Soccer Football (via American owners) brings you... THE SUPER LEAGUE!
https://defector.com/why-the-european-s ... e-is-evil/
...or not.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:07 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:02 am Looks like this is a thing that is actually happening, rather than just threatening to happen...

...or not.
Yeah, there was a reason I didn't post this yesterday in the Current Events thread, and thats that it was pure speculation and big talk from Real Madrid's president Florentino Perez.

Couple that with the fact that no German or French clubs were included in the proposed league, and the overwhelmingly negative reaction by fans and pundits alike, I had a sneaking suspicion this wouldn't see the light of day. Chelsea and Man City backing out today, as well as Man U firing Ed Woodward, it's just the first of the dominoes of greed to fall.
Volante

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:34 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:07 pm

...or not.
Yeah, there was a reason I didn't post this yesterday in the Current Events thread, and thats that it was pure speculation and big talk from Real Madrid's president Florentino Perez.

Couple that with the fact that no German or French clubs were included in the proposed league, and the overwhelmingly negative reaction by fans and pundits alike, I had a sneaking suspicion this wouldn't see the light of day. Chelsea and Man City backing out today, as well as Man U firing Ed Woodward, it's just the first of the dominoes of greed to fall.
Well, it was technically announced it in an official capacity, so I feel it's cleared the bar to be LL canon at least and thus qualifies for inclusion in the thread.

Edit: Geeeeze, it did happen that fast. All I did was step away for an hour (and seven minutes) to finish Watchmen during my lunch hour, too...
https://deadspin.com/super-league-super ... 1846724772

That's incredible
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:57 pm Well, it was technically announced it in an official capacity, so I feel it's cleared the bar to be LL canon at least and thus qualifies for inclusion in the thread.

Edit: Geeeeze, it did happen that fast. All I did was step away for an hour (and seven minutes) to finish Watchmen during my lunch hour, too...
https://deadspin.com/super-league-super ... 1846724772

That's incredible
You're correct, it was formally announced and I was prepared to make the same post you did. But the fact that it was announced only by Perez, the fact that he named 12 clubs which had made no statements of their own (plus my earlier comment that no big French or German clubs were included), and the immediate backlash from fans, I figured I'd let this thing play out. And boy are these some bright fireworks :shock:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Not worth putting in the guide, but the house passed a bill to grant statehood to Washington DC.

just thinking how interesting it would be that the US capital is a state and not a city.

Since I don’t know details of other places, is there currently a country with a capital that isn’t just a city?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Golf

Post by Golf »

Pretty sure Mexico City has/had a similar setup.
Volante

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:32 pm Not worth putting in the guide, but the house passed a bill to grant statehood to Washington DC.

just thinking how interesting it would be that the US capital is a state and not a city.

Since I don’t know details of other places, is there currently a country with a capital that isn’t just a city?
The seat of government would still be stateless; the new Washington, Douglass Commonwealth would overlay the city -except- for the area defined as the Capital, which would include the White House, Capitol, SCOTUS, National Mall, etc. (Complete boundary list here...maybe. If broken link, go under Text and jump to section 112
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... 4F208B2723
)
That's a Constitutional requirement
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

My understanding is that the current proposal excludes a "federal strip" extending from the White House to the Capitol.
OCSam
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:32 pm is there currently a country with a capital that isn’t just a city?
Since every country poses a somewhat unique instance of geopolitical subdivision, "isn't just a city" would have to be defined. Most countries don't have "states" like the U.S. does, although many have things that you could argue are equivalents. A lot of countries put their capital cities within federal districts, but the city and the district aren't always synonymous, as is the case with Washington and D.C. (i.e., there is no part of D.C., the federal district, that isn't Washington, the city). Tokyo is not just a city but also a prefecture, and prefectures are the closest that Japan has to states, given that they're the political subdivision immediately under the national government. The City of London (as distinct from the larger city known as London or greater London) is also a county, but not a borough. The City of Westminster, which is also within London, and which comprises both Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament, is a borough but not a county. Paris is all three of a city, department, and commune, and whether it's also a region (the largest political subdivision of France) might depend, from a certain point of view, on the chosen naming convention (Île-de-France vs. Région Parisienne). Mexico City used to be a federal district akin to what Washington, D.C. is, but as of 2016 isn't anymore, but also isn't a state or in a state. Madrid is within the Community of Madrid, but it isn't the only municipality therein. Beijing isn't a province or located within one, but it's normally listed with the provinces and the three other other non-provice municipalities (Chongqing, Shanghai, Tianjin) so as not to be left out when compiling tables of statistics and such. Singapore is a city, a country, and an island.

One could go on with this exercise, but I don't think it would be especially informative from a trivia perspective like you might have been thinking of, given how many capitals pose unique instances.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:01 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:32 pm is there currently a country with a capital that isn’t just a city?
Since every country poses a somewhat unique instance of geopolitical subdivision, "isn't just a city" would have to be defined. Most countries don't have "states" like the U.S. does, although many have things that you could argue are equivalents. A lot of countries put their capital cities within federal districts, but the city and the district aren't always synonymous, as is the case with Washington and D.C. (i.e., there is no part of D.C., the federal district, that isn't Washington, the city). Tokyo is not just a city but also a prefecture, and prefectures are the closest that Japan has to states, given that they're the political subdivision immediately under the national government. The City of London (as distinct from the larger city known as London or greater London) is also a county, but not a borough. The City of Westminster, which is also within London, and which comprises both Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament, is a borough but not a county. Paris is all three of a city, department, and commune, and whether it's also a region (the largest political subdivision of France) might depend, from a certain point of view, on the chosen naming convention (Île-de-France vs. Région Parisienne). Mexico City used to be a federal district akin to what Washington, D.C. is, but as of 2016 isn't anymore, but also isn't a state or in a state. Madrid is within the Community of Madrid, but it isn't the only municipality therein. Beijing isn't a province or located within one, but it's normally listed with the provinces and the three other other non-provice municipalities (Chongqing, Shanghai, Tianjin) so as not to be left out when compiling tables of statistics and such. Singapore is a city, a country, and an island.

One could go on with this exercise, but I don't think it would be especially informative from a trivia perspective like you might have been thinking of, given how many capitals pose unique instances.

I was less than halfway through your first paragraph when I started thinking this is way too complicated to be fun for trivia :lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There is an issue with the 23rd amendment, which grants the district three electoral votes. What becomes of them? Could a president claim his official residence as 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? Could you imagine if in the last election you heard “With a final tally of 2-0, DC gives its three votes to Donald Trump”.

I guess they could pass a law making it illegal to claim residency in DC, but the three electoral votes would still be there.