2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Robert K S »

I could do it, I've done my share of going and pounding it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Cleveland averts crisis

https://www.mlb.com/news/cleveland-sett ... derby-team
The team announced Tuesday morning that the lawsuit filed by the local Guardians roller derby team over use of the name “Guardians” had been resolved, with both organizations permitted to continue using the name.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:56 pm The 2021 inductees into the National Toy Hall of Fame are the American Girl dolls, the board game Risk, and sand.

https://www.museumofplay.org/press-rele ... announced/
Cellmate : ...and when there was no other toys, we inducted American Girl dolls and when there was no American Girl dolls, we inducted Risk and when there was no Risk board to be found, we inducted sand.

H.I. : You inducted what?

Cellmate : We inducted sand.

[pause]

H.I. : You inducted SAND?

Cellmate : That's right.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:45 am Dear Economists... Explain how this is possible to me like I'm five...

https://kotaku.com/the-staples-center-w ... 1848072690
Cryptocurrency and NFT exchange Crypto.com has announced it’s struck a twenty-year name-licensing deal for the Los Angeles arena, currently known as the Staples Center, in what could be the biggest American venue naming deal ever.
It's not. The odds of them lasting 20 years is infinitesimally small.

If you wanted to design something to destroy the environment and protect criminals, you couldn't do better than cryptocurrencies. And don't even get me started on how stupid NFTs are. Yes, I recognize people will make a lot of money on both, but that doesn't excuse them.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:58 am
Volante wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:45 am Dear Economists... Explain how this is possible to me like I'm five...

https://kotaku.com/the-staples-center-w ... 1848072690
Cryptocurrency and NFT exchange Crypto.com has announced it’s struck a twenty-year name-licensing deal for the Los Angeles arena, currently known as the Staples Center, in what could be the biggest American venue naming deal ever.
It's not. The odds of them lasting 20 years is infinitesimally small.
If you wanted to design something to destroy the environment and protect criminals, you couldn't do better than cryptocurrencies. And don't even get me started on how stupid NFTs are. Yes, I recognize people will make a lot of money on both, but that doesn't excuse them.
I'm sitting here in the SoCal area watching the locals coming to terms with this. Some Singaporean company no one has ever heard of? Ugh. And you know they'll end up calling it "The Crypt." How godawful.
I refuse to keep up with these name changes. Years ago, Jerry Reinsdorf's housekeeper used to place orders with me, and she wouldn't bother with those corporate names either. She'd just say "Sox Park."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:25 pm I refuse to keep up with these name changes.
Solidarity!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:32 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:25 pm I refuse to keep up with these name changes.
Solidarity!
Same here. I still call it Shea, or if I'm generous, New Shea.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:34 pm
Solidarity!
As some who was watch PacBell park become SBC Park, then AT&T Park and later morph into Oracle Park, I have sympathy. My thought is that should all be renamed Highest Bidder Park/Stadium and have done with it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:18 pm As some who was watch PacBell park become SBC Park, then AT&T Park and later morph into Oracle Park, I have sympathy. My thought is that should all be renamed Highest Bidder Park/Stadium and have done with it.
As if Browns fans didn't have it bad enough just by being Browns fans, we've got the name of a utility company that brazenly and successfully bribed the state legislature on our football stadium in Cleveland.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:18 pm
Solidarity!
As some who was watch PacBell park become SBC Park, then AT&T Park and later morph into Oracle Park, I have sympathy. My thought is that should all be renamed Highest Bidder Park/Stadium and have done with it.
Philadelphia: Spectrum II (although I don't think it ever opened or operated with that name), CoreStates Center, First Union Center (yeah, the FU Center), Wachovia Center, all in 14 years before becoming Wells Fargo Center.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:20 am Cleveland averts crisis

https://www.mlb.com/news/cleveland-sett ... derby-team
The team announced Tuesday morning that the lawsuit filed by the local Guardians roller derby team over use of the name “Guardians” had been resolved, with both organizations permitted to continue using the name.
The team changed names overnight, but

One commenter on Facebook: "Spiders don't fall off walls. Maybe should'a gone with Spiders."
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

A peak at a clue from the future:

VICE PRESIDENTS: In 2021, during President Biden's colonoscopy, this first female VP officially served as acting president for about 2 hours, becoming the first woman to formally wield presidential power in the process.

Who is Kamala Harris?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Solidarity!
I guess everyone here liked a certain LL question yesterday.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Solidarity!
Got a 0 and gave a 1 on it. Would have had all three right if needed.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:37 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Solidarity!
Got a 0 and gave a 1 on it. Would have had all three right if needed.
2 of 3 were Instagets. I’d have had to expend a lot more brainpower in pursuit of the third.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Two were instagets and was pretty sure the Bengals were the third. Wound up not mattering as my opponent saw me on the schedule and decided not to show up.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:13 pm 2 of 3 were Instagets. I’d have had to expend a lot more brainpower in pursuit of the third.
2 of 3 instant here as well, but I'm certain I wouldn't have gotten the 3rd.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I wasn't sure of any of the stadia, but Packers and Bears were my two best guesses. I went with Green Bay because I figured the public ownership thing may have been the key we were supposed to focus on.

Never heard of filé, unless it's the same thing as fil-A, when I still wouldn't have known what it was.
I'm smart and I want respect.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Drangvoor wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:05 am Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) split into two companies (consumer products for one and drugs and medical devices for the other). Presumable, they won't both be named Johnson
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Is it indeed the ten-minute version of "All Too Well" that's at #1 on the Hot 100? I've seen the record-breaking touted by everyone except Billboard themselves (and considering Tool's "Fear Inoculum" got a Billboard headline for being the longest Hot 100 song ever after it peaked at #93, official word here is conspicuous in its absence). The #1 listing on Billboard.com says "All Too Well (Taylor's Version)," and my understanding is that the track of this name is a fairly faithful re-recording of the 2012 song, while the one with "(Ten-Minute Version)" in the title is the extended cut.

(Note: Even if it is the ten-minute version, Tool still has the duration record for Hot 100 singles.)