2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Re: 2021 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I thought he had already been replaced as the coach of Team USA basketball by Gregg Popovich.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

Good luck getting recruits to come to Duke knowing they're only going to get to play for Coach K for one yearrrrrr..... never mind
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:38 pm
Golf wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:39 pm Press conferences are simply a part of being a professional athlete.
Is there any other job where that's true? I think in any other job, you can hire a spokesperson to address media questions for you.
Perhaps, but I think every job is going to have aspects that aren't particularly enjoyable.

Overall, though, I think Osaka should do whatever she wants. However, she does need to suffer the consequences of whatever decisions she makes. Although I have a feeling she'll be just fine. She could even retire now if that's what she wants to do.
Golf

Post by Golf »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:59 pm As a result of a second positive drug test, Medina Spirit has been disqualified and stripped of its win in this year's Kentucky Derby, and Mandaloun has been named the new winner.
No, as of now, this has not happened. Will it happen soon? Probably. But as of now Medina Spirit is still the winner of the Kentucky Derby.

And this is the second time today that something has been posted in the study guide that was not fact when it was posted. Rumors and sources do not count as fact.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:13 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:59 pm As a result of a second positive drug test, Medina Spirit has been disqualified and stripped of its win in this year's Kentucky Derby, and Mandaloun has been named the new winner.
No, as of now, this has not happened. Will it happen soon? Probably. But as of now Medina Spirit is still the winner of the Kentucky Derby.

And this is the second time today that something has been posted in the study guide that was not fact when it was posted. Rumors and sources do not count as fact.
Thanks. golf. The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission is the sole body with authority to decide this, and until it hands down a decision disqualifying Medina Spirit, he is still the winner of the Derby.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
davey

Post by davey »

Do you mean "anonymous" sources? Where do we get facts but from sources?
Golf

Post by Golf »

davey wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:15 am Do you mean "anonymous" sources? Where do we get facts but from sources?
Example, for most of the day on ESPN the headline was “Sources say Coach K stepping down after next season” in other words, still rumor. Nobody knew who the source was or their connection. It wasn’t until late in the day that Duke and Coach K made the announcement and the rumor became fact.
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:35 am
davey wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:15 am Do you mean "anonymous" sources? Where do we get facts but from sources?
Example, for most of the day on ESPN the headline was “Sources say Coach K stepping down after next season” in other words, still rumor. Nobody knew who the source was or their connection. It wasn’t until late in the day that Duke and Coach K made the announcement and the rumor became fact.
The sources weren't authoritative and they were anonymous (but they were correct). You were talking about a very narrow use of the word sources in journalism. But I would guess the original post was based on a misreading of sources, not false rumors.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I picked this item up directly from an online story from a reputable source of sporting news. Next time, rather than condensing the salient points of the story for you, I will simply post the link and you may spend your own time reading the article.
Last edited by cinemaniax7 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Since Coach K had actually planned to retire, then is was a fact when posted here. It just hadn’t been announced by him or Duke.
Golf

Post by Golf »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:59 pm I picked this item up directly from an online story from a reputable source of sporting news. Next time, rather than condensing the salient points of the story for you, I will simply post the link and you may spend your own time reading the article.
Pretty weird that this reputable source still has the story up over 24 hours after it was first published. Even weirder is that they were many hours behind even basic news outlets in getting it out there and still screwed it up.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:01 pm Prince Harry & Meghan daughter: Lilibet 'Lili' Diana Mountbatten-Windsor
Lilibet is the family nickname for Queen Elizabeth, so clue writers have that connection to play around with as well.
(And Diana comes from Princess Di)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:06 pm Best in Show for the 2021 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show: Pekingese named Wasabi
I was getting ready to chide you for adding a g to the name but did due diligence beforehand. TIL that both Pekingese and Pekinese are accepted names for the breed, and that your spelling is more common in this the US. It appears from my reading that the alternate might be more of a British spelling, but that is speculation that someone here may disabuse me of.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:29 am (The discus and hammer records are older, both dating back to 1986, and are held by an East German and a Soviet, respectively.)
And I'm sure they weren't drugged or anything.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Joanna Linville has died at the age of 93. Linville played the Romulan commander in "The Enterprise Incident," a fan-favorite episode of the original Star Trek series. The episode features an apparently insane Capt. Kirk and a defection by Mr. Spock, who shares a romantic evening with Linville, who is playing Star Trek's first starship commander.

Linville's career spanned 47 years, although she never landed a job as a series regular. She did, however, start an acting conservatory with her teacher, the legendary Stella Adler, and wrote a book titled Seven Steps to an Acting Craft.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Yet another show coincidence, as he was an answer in Monday's game.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:09 pm
Beat me to it! The Jeopardy Curse strikes again! Have there been any clues about General Hospital, or Cinderella/Prince Charming lately? (RIP Stuart Damon.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Maybe now he gets to know about the unknown unknowns.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

VAdame wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:22 pm
Beat me to it! The Jeopardy Curse strikes again! Have there been any clues about General Hospital, or Cinderella/Prince Charming lately? (RIP Stuart Damon.)
Still haven't gotten clarification if the common noun form of 'gravel' counts as the Curse...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:52 pm
VAdame wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:22 pm
Still haven't gotten clarification if the common noun form of 'gravel' counts as the Curse...
It Mike be.