2021 Current Events Study GUIDE. Study GUIDE.

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Re: 2021 Current Events Study GUIDE. Study GUIDE.

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Medina Spirit, the horse that won the 2021 Kentucky Derby in a controversial finish, has died following a workout at the Santa Anita Park track in Southern California. The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has not yet held a hearing on the case involving Medina Spirit's failed drug test (and confirmation test) following the Derby.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Drangvoor wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:38 am
CNN suspends anchor Chris Cuomo for helping his brother, former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D), respond to sexual harassment claims
He was fired over the weekend.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:51 pm Magnus Carlsen wins a regulation World Chess Championship game, the first time a win has been recorded in WCC's past five years.
It was also the longest game in WCC history, both by moves (135) and by length (7h45)
It was the longest playing session in world championship history, but far from the longest game in terms of hours. The fifth Game of Karpov-Korchnoi 1978 (124 moves) was adjourned twice, and took about twelve hours total. Adjournment of games was eliminated from world champion matches and just about everywhere else by the mid-1990s, in reaction to computers having become extremely strong, and even having solved a number of basic endgames whose correct outcomes had been in doubt.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Tampa Bay QB Tom Brady is Sports Illustrated's Sportsperson of the Year for 2021 (His second time being so honored.)

Time will announce their Person of the Year next Monday morning (Dec. 13) on their YouTube channel.

(I don't believe Entertainment Weekly announces an Entertainer of the Year anymore.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:08 pm Tampa Bay QB Tom Brady is Sports Illustrated's Sportsperson of the Year for 2021 (His second time being so honored.)

Time will announce their Person of the Year next Monday morning (Dec. 13) on their YouTube channel.

(I don't believe Entertainment Weekly announces an Entertainer of the Year anymore.)
Time's 2021 -Athlete- of the Year is Simone Biles
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 688319.php
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

On 12/8, Olaf Scholz became the new chancellor of Germany.

(On 12/9, I had to replace a quiz bowl question that mentioned Merkel as the leader.)
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Volante

Post by Volante »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:51 pm Magnus Carlsen wins a regulation World Chess Championship game, the first time a win has been recorded in WCC's past five years.
Carlsen won the WCC, with a score of 7.5 to 3.5, notching -4- wins against Ian Nepomniachtchi (Nepo) for his 5th consecutive title.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ma ... mpionship/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Leaving Micky Dolenz as the sole surviving Monkee. (I'd say "note spelling" on that first name, just because it surprised me. But this is unlikely to come up in a J! game.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bryce Young wins the Heisman Trophy.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Voters in the South Pacific island territory of New Caledonia vote for the territory to remain a part of France.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... c405c2da8e
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Max Verstappen wins the 2021 Formula 1 World Championship.

Mercedes wins their 8th consecutive Constructor's Championship.
Volante

Post by Volante »

kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Elon Musk has been named TIME Person of the Year, citing his contributions to the EV market and space exploration. TIME also noted his controversies, including tweets and becoming the richest man in the history of the world during a global pandemic.

A new "Hero of the Year" category was added this year, with Vaccine Scientists taking home the prize.

https://time.com/person-of-the-year-2021-elon-musk/
Drangvoor
Contributor

Post by Drangvoor »

my weekly digest of 1440 Daily Digest, with bold being the most relevant J! questions, IMHO

The heir to the Dutch throne, Crown Princess Amalia, the eldest daughter of King Willem-Alexander, turns 18 and is now eligible to become queen.

Australia joins the US in diplomatic boycott of 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics over China's human rights record

Robert E. Lee statue in Charlottesville, Virginia, to be melted down and converted into public artwork

Drake withdraws 2022 Grammy nominations for Best Rap Album and Best Rap Performance; no reason given yet for the withdrawal

Rep. Devin Nunes (R, CA-22) to resign from Congress at end of month, will become CEO of former President Donald Trump's media company

Former Kansas senator and Republican presidential candidate Bob Dole passed away yesterday at the age of 98
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Drangvoor wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:29 am my weekly digest of 1440 Daily Digest, with bold being the most relevant J! questions, IMHO

The heir to the Dutch throne, Crown Princess Amalia, the eldest daughter of King Willem-Alexander, turns 18 and is now eligible to become queen.

Australia joins the US in diplomatic boycott of 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics over China's human rights record

Robert E. Lee statue in Charlottesville, Virginia, to be melted down and converted into public artwork

Drake withdraws 2022 Grammy nominations for Best Rap Album and Best Rap Performance; no reason given yet for the withdrawal

Rep. Devin Nunes (R, CA-22) to resign from Congress at end of month, will become CEO of former President Donald Trump's media company

Former Kansas senator and Republican presidential candidate Bob Dole passed away yesterday at the age of 98
I like this. What is 1440 daily digest?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Steph Curry (Warriors) most 3-pt baskets made all-time, passing Ray Allen.

Kim Kardashian passes California's First-Year Law Students' Exam (aka "baby bar")
Volante

Post by Volante »

A -real- millipede has finally been discovered in, of course, Australia

https://gizmodo.com/newly-discovered-mi ... 1848221495
For the first time, scientists have found a millipede that actually has 1,000 legs. More than 1,000, actually: Plucked from deep in a mine in Western Australia, Eumillipes persephone has an eye-popping 1,306 legs along its 3.78-inch frame.

The newly discovered millipede is an example of superelongation, when the animals comprise more than 180 segments; E. persephone has 330 segments.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

NYT Quiz: Notable People of 2021

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... -quiz.html

I got paywalled when I clicked the link from another site. I was able to get in by Google searching the article.