Monday, January 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 4, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY CHARACTERS OF THE 1600s

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When the title character tells him that a great adventure may win him an island he can govern, he leaves his family

Brayden Smith: 23800-5801=17999 (5X = $115,798)
David Kaye: 14800-14800=0
Teal Patterson: 5000-5000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sancho Panza (Brayden – Gulliver) (David – Robinson Crusoe) (Teal – Robinson Crusoe)

Daily Doubles
Brayden: 5200+5200
David: 6400+6400
David: 21200-10000

Coryats
Brayden: 19200
David: 19600
Teal: 5000

Combined: 43,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brayden: 12200
David: 4800
Teal: 1000
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex's opening remarks:
Spoiler
Using J!6 I have the categories ahead of time and it did not take long to see the game was originally slotted for two weeks ago:

DECEMBER 21 in the J! round
CHRISTMAS ON BROADWAY in the DJ! round

My ears detected at least one do over for reading a clue. Hope there was not too much post game work for Alex to do this week.

If David had solved DD3 then that could have been 34800 for the FJ! round. Brayden had a possible 47600 if everything played out the same. David would have dropped to 21999 on a miss meaning a proper wager by Brayden would still have won him the game.

The FJ! category had me immediately write the correct title character off the century. The clue had my processor fail at first glance as I wrote the title character. I caught my error and switched to the right guy.

In a previous post (whether here or previous incarnation) I've mentioned that the only required reading I completed in high school was Animal Farm. I skimmed other works to do just enough to fabricate a passable book report. Today that helped me to know I had the right guy as I recalled that portion of the work.

During think time I wondered if someone might guess the incorrect responses that appeared and both will of course be poll choices as I expect the contestants to find company here. Sometimes I may not be able to place a famous work in the right century, so I do understand why the wrong characters popped up today.

What is unfortunate for J! players to occur as often as it does it misreading the clue to not fully grasp what is being asked. Even though I did it as well on an initial fast read there should be time to reread and switch gears.

I'd like to know if any of the players had taken the clue in to properly assess what was wanted, and what was eliminated, whether they would have had it correct.

Brayden, feel free to respond. Thanks and congrats on the magical 5-win (so far) plateau.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It just occurred to me that someone could figure out the character and then be unsure about the last name's ending vowel. Anyone think just the first name could pass muster? Or first name and first letter of last name?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm going to start working on archiving the game. How many notches will I get in my belt for spoiling Brayden's 5th win by adding game 1, 2, 3, 4 to those game pages from December?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Definitely a little rusty but it's done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6896

Alex added, "Yes, of course" in indicating DD1 was really easy.

Brayden started his response about orbit with "orbert" before correcting himself.

Alex added, "You're on the board now" when Teal finally got in for the first time on clue 22.

Correct suggestions quickly came in to eliminate all three. Should I refrain from adding such remarks from Alex? Even this week? If a contestant gets to a correct response in time then ignore the path to get there?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $45,600 (48R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

Brainfarted on Trainwreck and Rocketman. Probably would have had demonym on the rebound, but didn't count it, as I was blanking prior to clicking the box. NHO The Illusionists. Nevada was a forehead-slapper.

Read FJ too quickly and wrote down the title character. Correct title character, but it wasn't what they were looking for!

Congrats to Brayden for picking up win #5!
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Just had My DVR fixed but not in time for Todays Episode Sadly. Was able to watch it though.
Last edited by AntmanB on Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Could have guessed Illusionists from the clue, but would not get it at that moment.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Amsterdam, Yosemite, Charlie Chaplin, Cage, Arctic Ocean, Commodity, (Anthropology)
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

These boards just didn't flow for me.
runs: Geographical Entymology (4/4), Replicas (4/4),
Daily Doubles: :D :D :( (tried to cobble demographology)
trash: Amsterdam, Yosemite, Arctic
FJ: Tried to think of Pangloss from Candide, too recent. :(
Last edited by DBear on Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:27 pm Correct suggestions quickly came in to eliminate all three. Should I refrain from adding such remarks from Alex? Even this week? If a contestant gets to a correct response in time then ignore the path to get there?
For this week especially, I'd leave them in. As long as they're accurate, I see no problem adding them.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Definitely leave in Brayden’s twisted tongue as that was part of his response. I don’t see a problem with the other two.

Alex seemed a little weak in his opening comments but was fine the rest of the game.

I started with Gulliver then switched to Robinson Crusoe.

Congratulations to Brayden for being the last to automatically qualify for the TOC under Alex.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Alex's message only becomes even more heartwarming in hindsight.

Ran Words About Words.

"Face" kept me from running ABCDEFG.

"Trainwreck" was a NHOI in the top box for me.

0/5 in 3-Namers in American History. "John Paul Jones" is way too generic a name to stick. I recognized all the others except Zenger, but the clues just didn't click for me (I wagged Gallaudet on the DD).

The $2,000 boxes felt very easy, since I was 5/6 on them.

No guess on FJ! Sancho Panza rings no bells for me. I had no required reading in HS whatsoever.

Lach Trash: Amsterdam, cage
Leander

Post by Leander »

I thought the FJ clue was pointing to Robinson Crusoe as the title character, so I wrote down Friday (remembering nothing about the novel)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Zero chance I would have come up with Sancho Panza. My knowledge of Don Quixote is basically: Cervantes, Quixote, Sancho Panza, tilting at windmills and the horse, Rocinante. I know nothing of the actual story. Went with Crusoe to say something.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:29 pm (I wagged Gallaudet on the DD).
Not a bad guess (and I think he even went by 3 names -- Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:33 am What is unfortunate for J! players to occur as often as it does it misreading the clue to not fully grasp what is being asked. Even though I did it as well on an initial fast read there should be time to reread and switch gears.
I knew exactly what they were asking, and I settled on Friday :?

Very surprised to see Robinson Crusoe show up twice.

Bummer for today's worthy challenger, who rightly wagered big on that second row DD in -OLOGIES but responded (perhaps) too soon.

Good get on Alexander Graham Bell. I hesitated with Edison there.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Precalled Don Quixote for FJ, the first time in my life I think I have precalled the subject matter for FJ that I can remember. I knew it instantly...I couldn't think of any other 1600 literary characters that J! would care about. On a Google search, The Pilgrim's Progress, and The Misanthrope would be fair game. Some Shakespeare plays also were published in the 1600s as well, but they would more likely have Shakespeare as the category.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Here we go...the final week

Quite an intro

I imagine it was different before LA started building skyscrapers, but the view from the top of City Hall was not as impressive as I'd hoped it'd be the first time I visited.

I can't think of Amsterdam without being reminded of "Hampsterdam" from The Wire

Is this entire category going to consist of time-wasting movie previews?

OK, good

Tell me, what did you learn from the Tillamook Burn and the Fourth of July?

Ornithology was also a Charlie Parker tune

Glad we got a Kebert Xela reference this week

Need a ruling on "Bowdlerization" as an antonym for "dysphemism." I get the dys-/eu- Greek roots they were going for--is that strictly necessary to qualify as a "direct antonym"? Is that a well-defined term?

Pre-calling a character from Don Quixote.

Yup.

Coryat: $37,800/38,600

J: 20R7P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on December 21. 4/5 on ABCDEFG. 3/4 on Etymology and Farming (I said "Cereal" instead of "Commodity"). 2/5 on Occupation.

DJ: 1/2 on DDs (got anthropology no problem, Bell was on the tip of my tongue but couldn't get him out) 20/21R6P(1W). 4- or 5-/5 on Words. 4/4 on -ologies. 3/4 on Replicas and How Do You...

FJ: Instaget.

LT: Yosemite, Charlie Chaplin, Arctic (purely through a process of elimination, as I knew the origins of the other three generally-recognized ones)