Tuesday, January 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:55 pm

I immediately had issue with this clue as I was pretty sure I had always heard that NC/SC were named for the same person. Majority of sources seems to indicate this is Charles I, though there are some others that claim Charles II. Very, very few authoritative looking things (that I've been able to find) seem to alllege that the states are named for BOTH Charles I and II, so I'm not sure this clue is factual, even though it is still solvable.
Are you making a distinction between authoritative sources and Very, very few authoritative looking things [that] seem to alllege...? You're a stickler!... :)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, tough boards for the players tonight. As Mark B predicted, I did answer “fashion” to the LVMH clue (Möet Hennessey seemed unlikely to award something for a collection). FJ wasn’t quite an Instaget but close. King executed in 1649? Gotta be Chuck I. Charles == Carolus (L.) from Karl (German) and giving rise to Carol and Karel (as in Çapek of RUR fame), so the Carolinas.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:32 pm I usually do well in grammar categories, but Adverbs from $600 down was a total word salad to me. I couldn't at all grasp what the clues were even trying to say. I've never heard anyone say "driving near 50 miles an hour" or a variant thereof.
Some. They wanted "had to drive SOME 50 miles". I said "near" and I think they'd have accepted that along with "like".
My first thought was "nigh".
--
Drowning in the pool
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

ACW wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm How does one get "Carolina" from "Charles"?
My thoughts exactly. The clue also never gives any indication that said "king & his father" might have the same name, though Alex acted as if that should have been obvious.

Also, which was DD3? I had no clue on either of the DJ DD's. I know nothing of Carrie, and what is selective about "selective service"? You get drafted, you are drafted, no selecting about it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Instantly got this from trying to come up with a clue similar to this one:
alietr wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:28 am STATE CAPITALS

Both a U.S. state and its capital were named in reference to this same man.
Spoiler
Albany, New York. James II of England/VII of Scotland. He was the Duke of York in England and the Duke of Albany in Scotland.
using some combination of South Carolina, named for Charles I, and it's largest city, Charleston, named for Charles II.

Yet despite all the possible variants, I got stumped.
~
Clammed on green algae because I thought red algae might've been possible too. The inclusion of litmus paper and Doppler shift, though, would nominally give you a nice freebie on the second go
Last edited by Volante on Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:40 pm
ACW wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm How does one get "Carolina" from "Charles"?
My thoughts exactly. The clue also never gives any indication that said "king & his father" might have the same name, though Alex acted as if that should have been obvious.

Also, which was DD3? I had no clue on either of the DJ DD's. I know nothing of Carrie, and what is selective about "selective service"? You get drafted, you are drafted, no selecting about it.
Carrie was DD3. Selective Service is just what it is called. The people being drafted are selected from the pool, although nobody has been selected since Joe Biden was a freshman senator.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I have lived in North Carolina or South Carolina for all but 9 of my 50+ years on this planet and I did not know the answer to tonight's FJ question.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

davey wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:21 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:55 pm

I immediately had issue with this clue as I was pretty sure I had always heard that NC/SC were named for the same person. Majority of sources seems to indicate this is Charles I, though there are some others that claim Charles II. Very, very few authoritative looking things (that I've been able to find) seem to alllege that the states are named for BOTH Charles I and II, so I'm not sure this clue is factual, even though it is still solvable.
Are you making a distinction between authoritative sources and Very, very few authoritative looking things [that] seem to alllege...? You're a stickler!... :)
Yeah I didn't realize I added so many qualfiers and I tweaked that sentence until it made little sense. My point was that if you search for those specific words, you CAN find websites claiming that the states are named for both Charles I and II but none of them are anything that look authoritative. The point made just above that Charleston, SC is a city named for Charles II in a state named for Charles I, I wonder if that was the fact that inspired this FJ clue and something got garbled in translation.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got North and South Carolina before time ran out but I wouldn't have been fast enough to write it down. It's pretty lengthy. I thought of Georgia and Virginia first but then couldn't figure out who was the king and who was the son and who was executed. We don't have a state called Charlesia but I thought about it. If I remembered to use postal codes I might have had time.

Nice run by Brayden and congrats to Manisha. I wonder who will host the tournament of champions and when it will be.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Am I the only one who thought FJ! was a little bit of a trick question? I guess part of that is my fault - for some reason, when I saw STATE NAME ORIGINS, I literally thought, "Okay, we eliminate any state with north/south/west, since they would have similar origins." Oops. I matched Brayden and Molly for about 25 seconds, and tossed up Pennsylvania knowing full well it was wrong, but that it was at least named for a person. The irony was I literally went up the eastern seaboard after getting Georgia.

I didn't find this board any harder than others - in fact, I got 4 more clues right than I did yesterday, with the same number of blanks. Although I did find the bottom row of the first round kinda tough. I was lucky to be primed on Sweet Valley High today when I saw a comic making fun of it on my Twitter feed with "Sweet Silicon High".

I, like, totally predicted the judges' reversal on "some".

I'm probably one of the few who could solve the very last clue in DJ! with just "Pal Waaktaar", but I'm biased because of my screen name. At the start of the round, I crossed my fingers and pre-called the band/song.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:59 pm Something that occurred to me--what's the procedure if a wrongly-ruled-correct response that's not discovered until a few clues later enables a player to get the Daily Double? Do they go back and replay from that point? What do they do about the fact that the DD's location has been revealed? They could just move it to another random location, but that would still upset the balance somewhat because of all the (now-revealed) clues it can't be.
They make sure the scores are correct before Daily Doubles are played. "But before you make you make your wager, we have a change in scoring to announce. Blah blah blah. The scores are now correct..."

If there's a ruling problem with the clue immediately preceding the DD, they re-hide it. Earlier than that, they let it be.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
yclept

Post by yclept »

Brayden had an off game. It happens. The new champion didn’t win much, but she was beating him to the buzzer on many clues. He just couldn’t get any momentum regardless and he couldn’t get into a range where he could force the leader to get the final right even if he couldn’t.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:11 pm FWIW, Wikipedia says both Carolinas are named for Charles I.
I'm going to change it!

I don't remember seeing a five time Champion Crash and Burn like that.

I got the Carolinas instantly. I also succeeded on some of the other triple stumper Clues including Carrie and Ghostbusters.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:21 am I don't remember seeing a five time Champion Crash and Burn like that.
Mark Wales's sixth game springs to my mind (although he rang in with the fewest incorrect responses that game, he also got the fewest right, and had a sole miss on FJ). But the pump was primed, because I was thinking of Mark's second game on Monday (particulars of Monday's game, including a wager, scores, and one correct response, in spoiler tags. Similar talk of Mark game 2 is also in there):
Spoiler
If David had gotten his $10,000 DD right, he would have led Brayden $34,800 to $23,800, but missing FJ would lose him the game as long as Brayden bet properly and/or got FJ right. Similarly, Daniel Weissman led Mark $33,000 to $24,800 in the wake of a $12,000 DD, and Mark, with a little more wagering leeway (within three quarters and not just two thirds of Daniel's score), wagered just to catch up. Mark's strategy proved moot, however, since he got FJ and Daniel didn't. And that FJ response was Kon-Tiki, which was a correct response on Monday (albeit as the raft instead of the book).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Count me as another who was totally confused by FJ. I immediately went to the Carolinas, but couldn't for the life of me imagine that they were named for different people, so then I went to Georgia and ... um, one of the Carolinas?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

It'll be interesting to see how this FJ polls. I would not have predicted the widespread difficulty that's being reported. State name connected to a king. Your first stop has to be England. King's father was executed. Not assassinated. Not slain in battle. Executed. There's only one, right? Charles I. Followed by the Interregnum. Followed by Charles II. Does the date check out? 1649 sounds right. So, two states named after Charles. The Carolinas. Every single breadcrumb (or fish gut) in the trail led inexorably to the next. It wasn't an instaget, but I had a good 28+ seconds to wave my fingers in time to the music.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:23 am It'll be interesting to see how this FJ polls. I would not have predicted the widespread difficulty that's being reported. State name connected to a king. Your first stop has to be England. King's father was executed. Not assassinated. Not slain in battle. Executed. There's only one, right? Charles I. Followed by the Interregnum. Followed by Charles II. Does the date check out? 1649 sounds right. So, two states named after Charles. The Carolinas. Every single breadcrumb (or fish gut) in the trail led inexorably to the next. It wasn't an instaget, but I had a good 28+ seconds to wave my fingers in time to the music.
Did you actually read any of the reasons people had difficulty? If you’ve heard for decades that the Carolinas are both named for the same person then I think it’s quite easy to just have your brain not even go there since you think you’re looking for two states named for people with two different names. I think there are serious factual issues with this clue compounded with the fact that I think it’s just natural to read it as looking for people with two different names and not two of the same name.

Yes if you start with English monarchs and know about the execution of Charles then you can get there maybe quite easily but if you start from the other end with the states there are a lot of wrong turns.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:00 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:23 am It'll be interesting to see how this FJ polls. I would not have predicted the widespread difficulty that's being reported. State name connected to a king. Your first stop has to be England. King's father was executed. Not assassinated. Not slain in battle. Executed. There's only one, right? Charles I. Followed by the Interregnum. Followed by Charles II. Does the date check out? 1649 sounds right. So, two states named after Charles. The Carolinas. Every single breadcrumb (or fish gut) in the trail led inexorably to the next. It wasn't an instaget, but I had a good 28+ seconds to wave my fingers in time to the music.
Did you actually read any of the reasons people had difficulty? If you’ve heard for decades that the Carolinas are both named for the same person then I think it’s quite easy to just have your brain not even go there since you think you’re looking for two states named for people with two different names. I think there are serious factual issues with this clue compounded with the fact that I think it’s just natural to read it as looking for people with two different names and not two of the same name.

Yes if you start with English monarchs and know about the execution of Charles then you can get there maybe quite easily but if you start from the other end with the states there are a lot of wrong turns.
I also disagree with the premise that one has to start with England and stay there without considering France. One might go to Louis XIII or XVII. Yes, it is common knowledge that the Louisiana territory was named after XIV. But that does not preclude some more obscure trivia that when statehood came about, there was not some movement by a Bourbon royalist sympathetic contingent in the state legislature to officially proclaim the state as named for someone other than XIV in solidarity with a different Louis. Yes, both of these responses are slightly problematic in that XIII's father was assassinated, not executed, and XVII never had the chance to rule, even though the king he certainly was by primogeniture upon the execution of XVI. And will be eliminable as wrong since there is no Henry-state and no other Louis-state. But the fact that these are wrong responses does not make them unworthy of the brief consideration that would suck up a considerable portion of the 30 seconds. Especially in combination with the consideration that one might discount North and South Carolina as obviously not named for two different people.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:31 am
jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:00 am

I also disagree with the premise that one has to start with England and stay there without considering France. One might go to Louis XIII or XVII. Yes, it is common knowledge that the Louisiana territory was named after XIV. But that does not preclude some more obscure trivia that when statehood came about, there was not some movement by a Bourbon royalist sympathetic contingent in the state legislature to officially proclaim the state as named for someone other than XIV in solidarity with a different Louis. Yes, both of these responses are slightly problematic in that XIII's father was assassinated, not executed, and XVII never had the chance to rule, even though the king he certainly was by primogeniture upon the execution of XVI. And will be eliminable as wrong since there is no Henry-state and no other Louis-state. But the fact that these are wrong responses does not make them unworthy of the brief consideration that would suck up a considerable portion of the 30 seconds. Especially in combination with the consideration that one might discount North and South Carolina as obviously not named for two different people.
We can spend all day coming up with any number of plausible-but-wrong thought processes that could lead you to run out of time while drawing yourself farther and farther away from the correct response. Someone whose knowledge base leads them there might reason that neither the category nor the clue specify "US States" and start trying to work out Australian or German or Mexican or Brazilian state name origins. From a metagame perspective that's exceedingly unlikely to come up in a regular-play FJ, but that may not necessarily occur to you at that moment.

Thing is, that happens every time there's a clue that you don't know outright and have to work out in your head, but it doesn't mean the clue is bad or flawed (as at least a couple of people seem to be suggesting here)--it just means that you didn't know it outright and you chose the wrong strategy to try and come up with it. We've all detailed multiple instances in the game threads where we've done just that, and hardly ever is that presented as an indictment of the clue itself.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 pm Was Brayden trying to say Eton? Recorded in the archives as Eden. :idea:
I heard Eton.

And I've got to say it never really occurred to me that the Carolinas were named for King Charles (I or II). I'm sure it's something I've heard before, but it definitely didn't stick with me. Maybe it will now.