Tuesday, January 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE NAME ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The names of these 2 states honor a king & his father, who was executed in 1649

Brayden Smith: 6400-3601=2799
Molly Fisher: 3800-3799=1
Manisha Munshi: 10000-2900=7100 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
North & South Carolina (Brayden: Georgia and __) (Molly – Georgia and) (Manisha – Georgia + Alaba)

Daily Doubles
Brayden: 1600-1600
Brayden: 2800+2800
Manisha: 11600-4000

Coryats
Brayden: 7200
Molly: 3800
Manisha: 14000

Combined: 25,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brayden: 2000
Molly: minus 200
Manisha: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game, not the players, made me think of this from Bring It On:

CHORUS: U-G-L-Y, you ain't got no alibi, you ugly

The neg count is off the charts with way more than a dozen and icing was the FJ! clue going 0/3. A little more for the mess was six clues not played. Blessings that this was not the Friday game.

Any kind of better discipline on the buzzer and Brayden still could have won today as he could not get out of his own way to take advantage of Manisha gifting him with losing $4K on DD3 that will have people yelling across the country and not just up in NE. If that was not enough there is another movie stumper clue that will raise blood pressures of viewers.

It was not Brayden's day as it can be tough to quickly turn around to play after the high of hitting the magical 5-win mark and going over $100K in winnings. People's exhibit A was the 50/50/90 he took on guessing a Pole. Molly managed to make it a 3-sided coin by adding Everest to the mix.

The FJ! category had me make sure to look at my general reminders of not forgetting AK & HI as well as to remember NY which sometimes is the path just for being big & important.

The FJ! clue gave me none of the detours the contestants unfortunately faced as I paid enough attention in elementary school at the right time and watched enough J! to have the monarch/state names origin burned in. Add in knowing a rough idea of when the English monarchs ruled there is no way the devil was going down to burn me this time.

That would have been something if Molly had pulled out a FJ! clue solve to sneak in for the win. Instead it was leader's advantage falling Manisha's way.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I settled on the correct response, but it was a stone cold guess and way more than 30 seconds, so I'm 0/2 now on Alex's last week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6897

There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth for those who had their hearts set on Brayden sweeping the week.

You can get a fake 4th podium win with 2 TS gets and a real one with 4.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $29,000 (35R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT $5200 + FJ = 4th podium win

Man alive, these boards were tough. I felt like I was playing TOC Finals boards. I feel bad for Brayden that he got taken out by them.

I am a little surprised that FJ was a TS, though.

Poll request on the fashion designer DD. My train of thought was not even in the right universe, and judging from Brayden's response, neither was his. That one struck me as one that would have been tough even as a FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm ...

Poll request on the fashion designer DD. My train of thought was not even in the right universe, and judging from Brayden's response, neither was his. That one struck me as one that would have been tough even as a FJ.
Request seen. I got it right and woof should as well:

viewtopic.php?p=320729#p320729
viewtopic.php?p=280056#p280056
ACW

Post by ACW »

How does one get "Carolina" from "Charles"?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

ACW wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm How does one get "Carolina" from "Charles"?
Maybe via Carolingian and Charlemagne, if one paid attention in high school World History/European History. (Not that I came anywhere close to getting this clue right. Considered Georgia and Louisiana and got stuck. I don't really like the clue, though. From its wording, I was expecting one state named for the king and the other state named for the dad.)
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Congratulations Brayden on your fantastic run and for cementing a place in the TOC. Good luck going forward.
mas3cf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm Man alive, these boards were tough. I felt like I was playing TOC Finals boards.
I no longer keep score but agree that this board was not smooth. The perceived difficulty of some of the clues is not because of unknowns but due to a lack of 'bite' and wordplay.

- I'd bet a lot of money that a large percentage of people would have said "haj" for "hegira"
- The Texas annual event, I thought a specific name was needed instead of the generic "state fair"
- IMO "Ojibwe" is a more familiar spelling than "ojibway"
- The "like" 1K clue that Brayden got with "some" - I needed two readings to understand what was being asked

The time factor of FJ comes to the fore again - today's and yesterday's clues would be easily solvable without the 30-second drop of the Damocles sword.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R (Missed the Barbara Streisand song, Cholula, and Sweet Valley High.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Road Map, Hegira, Kelly Clarkson, (Fashion Designer), Yesterday, Yellow Dwarf, Green Algae, (Carrie), Ojibway, Red Shift, Ghostbusters
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TriviaBug wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:46 pm Congratulations Brayden on your fantastic run and for cementing a place in the TOC. Good luck going forward.
mas3cf wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm Man alive, these boards were tough. I felt like I was playing TOC Finals boards.
I no longer keep score but agree that this board was not smooth. The perceived difficulty of some of the clues is not because of unknowns but due to a lack of 'bite' and wordplay.

- I'd bet a lot of money that a large percentage of people would have said "haj" for "hegira"
- The Texas annual event, I thought a specific name was needed instead of the generic "state fair"
- IMO "Ojibwe" is a more familiar spelling than "ojibway"
- The "like" 1K clue that Brayden got with "some" - I needed two readings to understand what was being asked

The time factor of FJ comes to the fore again - today's and yesterday's clues would be easily solvable without the 30-second drop of the Damocles sword.
- I did manage hegira, but had to swat away hajj first.
- Agree on the Texas event, didn't occur to me that a generic event would be acceptable
- Agree on Ojibwe. However, "ojibway" is how you spell "wojib" in Pig Latin.
- Agree there too. Didn't know what they wanted.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

How do three very intelligent people not know what color the sun is?

Instaget FJ, but I'm not sure why the clue mentions the son (Charles II). The Carolinas were named after Charles I.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ was a quick solve for me. I knew Chuck the First lost his head around that time and his son had the same name. Carolina is close to Charles so that was it.

Not the best ever game. Brayden seemed to be grasping at straws in DJ playing from behind. At least he can say he was Alex’s last five time champ. That is five more than I won.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Man, Brayden's wheels completely came off today. So many negs.

====

Ran Condiments and Oy!, but was 0/5 in Historic Happenings.

"The Way We Were" kept me from 5/5 in Her First No. 1 Hit.

I usually do well in grammar categories, but Adverbs from $600 down was a total word salad to me. I couldn't at all grasp what the clues were even trying to say. I've never heard anyone say "driving near 50 miles an hour" or a variant thereof.

I found DJ! extremely difficult, getting only three other clues right outside the category that I ran.

I completely crapped out on FJ! Just hit a mental block and couldn't pull any states that sounded like the names of people. Not even him saying "Charles I" and "the two states have the same name" got me any closer.

Lach Trash: road map, Kelly Clarkson, Yesterday, Ojibway. Also got the Carrie DD.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:29 pm How do three very intelligent people not know what color the sun is?
Probably overthinking it. I was hoping Alex was going to say “What color is the sun, people?”.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm
ACW wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm How does one get "Carolina" from "Charles"?
Maybe via Carolingian and Charlemagne, if one paid attention in high school World History/European History. (Not that I came anywhere close to getting this clue right. Considered Georgia and Louisiana and got stuck. I don't really like the clue, though. From its wording, I was expecting one state named for the king and the other state named for the dad.)
Pretty much that, yes. "Charles" comes from the Germanic name Karl, which itself comes from the Anglo-Saxon Cearl.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

[Playing from the archive] I got this FJ! right pretty quickly, but I first had to persuade myself that they weren't going for one of the Carolinas and New York (named for James II, brother of Charles II, who was Duke of York before becoming king). Then I decided that there was no way it could be just one of the Carolinas, and so had to be both.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:29 pm How do three very intelligent people not know what color the sun is?
They're intelligent enough never to look directly at the sun!