Tuesday, January 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:40 am
DBear wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:19 pm Was Brayden trying to say Eton? Recorded in the archives as Eden. :idea:
I heard Eton.
There have been enough posts here to easily convince me that switching Brayden's response to Eton is the right way to go. Done.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

ACW wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm How does one get "Carolina" from "Charles"?
The Latin for Charles is Carolus, change to the feminine suffix -ina and there you go. Similar as Georgia is named for King George II. Also District of Columbia for Christopher Columbus.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

This is a tough 4th Podium victory to call, personally, because I also fell into the trap of hajj, heretic, and atlas.

But considering the rules of the phantom podium, I sneak in a win with yesterday, yellow dwarf, green algae, red shift, and Ghostbusters + a correct FJ solve. I also got the Carrie DD, but not fashion designer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:00 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:23 am It'll be interesting to see how this FJ polls. I would not have predicted the widespread difficulty that's being reported. State name connected to a king. Your first stop has to be England. King's father was executed. Not assassinated. Not slain in battle. Executed. There's only one, right? Charles I. Followed by the Interregnum. Followed by Charles II. Does the date check out? 1649 sounds right. So, two states named after Charles. The Carolinas. Every single breadcrumb (or fish gut) in the trail led inexorably to the next. It wasn't an instaget, but I had a good 28+ seconds to wave my fingers in time to the music.
Did you actually read any of the reasons people had difficulty?
Sigh. Yes. I didn't go down any of those paths or have any of those difficulties. So when they got mentioned, I was surprised.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The text of the clue was "The names of these 2 states honor a king & his father, who was executed in 1649". The absence of the word "respectively" makes this a factually valid clue. But I can see how many would have been misled thinking that the word "respectively" was implied.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I got it right by making a connection to a factoid I learned many years ago about the author of the Alice books:
Charles Lutwidge Dodgson is better known by the pseudonym "Lewis Carroll". Although he was a mathematician, he is best known as the author of Alice's adventures in wonderland (1865) and Through the looking glass (1872), children's books that are among the most popular of all time. They are distinguished as satire and as examples of verbal wit. Dodgson wrote mathematical works under his own name but for his children's books he invented the pen name "Lewis Carroll" by translating his first two names "Charles Lutwidge" into Latin as "Carolus Lodovicus", then anglicising and reversing their order.
https://mathshistory.st-andrews.ac.uk/B ... s/Dodgson/
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:28 pm
Maybe via Carolingian and Charlemagne, if one paid attention in high school World History/European History. (Not that I came anywhere close to getting this clue right. Considered Georgia and Louisiana and got stuck. I don't really like the clue, though. From its wording, I was expecting one state named for the king and the other state named for the dad.)
North was named after dad and South after the son. Or maybe it was the other way around. I forget.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:32 pm Man, Brayden's wheels completely came off today. So many negs.
You tell me. Quite a sad end to a very promising run.

2/10 (D-)

PS: I got FJ!...after Alex gave away a couple of obvious clues (at least to me).
It's the end of the journey that counts.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:16 pm
Maybe via Carolingian and Charlemagne, if one paid attention in high school World History/European History. (Not that I came anywhere close to getting this clue right. Considered Georgia and Louisiana and got stuck. I don't really like the clue, though. From its wording, I was expecting one state named for the king and the other state named for the dad.)
North was named after dad and South after the son. Or maybe it was the other way around. I forget.
Neither. The territory was named Carolina in the charter issued over 60 years before it was split into North and South.
--
Drowning in the pool
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Yeah if you're gonna claim this please find a source and cite it, because I don't think it's true at all.
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:22 pm
Yeah if you're gonna claim this please find a source and cite it, because I don't think it's true at all.
I'm willing to bet AFRET CMS was joking.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Got FJ from knowing the year of Charles I’s beheading, and remembering Carolus <—> Charles from Charlemagne (Carolus Magnus), hence the two Carolinas looked like a good fit.

Got the Carrie DD from the state and timeframe, the state suggesting King and timeframe was right for his first published novel. Plus a prom. (Although I’ve never read the novel or seen the movie; my experience with Stephen King’s works is The Stand, the Gunslinger series, and the novel Revival.)

Brayden had a tough game; consistently beaten on the buzzer and guessing too much. But he’ll be formidable in the ToC, especially if he learns from this game.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:56 pm
You win the bet. I always feel guilty when I pull someone's leg and it comes off in my hand. It's another reason why written communication without tone of voice and facial expression loses a lot of nuance.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:53 pm

You win the bet. I always feel guilty when I pull someone's leg and it comes off in my hand. It's another reason why written communication without tone of voice and facial expression loses a lot of nuance.
That's what they make emoticons for, Chief ;)
--
Drowning in the pool
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

ParrotRob wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:48 pm

I'll try to remember better. They didn't have them when I was dipping my quill into the ink well, so I often forget. :oops:
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:15 pm

I'll try to remember better. They didn't have them when I was dipping my quill into the ink well, so I often forget. :oops:
I remember being astounded that a colon and a parenthesis made a smiley back when I surfed USENET groups in the 80's.
I also remember being pissed off that my employer subscribed only to comp.* groups and not any of the rec.* or alt.* tree :)
--
Drowning in the pool
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:15 pm

You were either joking or you were foolish. I bet it wasn't the latter.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ParrotRob wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:23 pm I remember being astounded that a colon and a parenthesis made a smiley back when I surfed USENET groups in the 80's.
I also remember being pissed off that my employer subscribed only to comp.* groups and not any of the rec.* or alt.* tree :)
I spent a lot of time on rec.music.gdead.