Wednesday, January 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BLOCKBUSTER MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Released in 2017, this movie is the highest-grossing film in the U.S. that’s set during World War I

Manisha Munshi: 13400-13400=0
Jared Blum: 8200-5601=2599
Yoshie Hill: 13800-7000=6800 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Wonder Woman (Manisha – Dunkirk) (Jared – 1917) (Yoshie – 1917)

Daily Doubles
Jared: 2800-2800
Jared: 2800+2000
Jared: 8800-3000

Coryats
Manisha: 13400
Jared: 13600
Yoshie: 13800

Combined: 40,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Manisha: 3000
Jared: 2800
Yoshie: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Blessings to CBS Delta for showing J! while locally I noticed TPIR and The View were not airing. Which way did KHQA go?

Yoshie gave me a chuckle with her chat story as I (and of of course other viewers) have had the same reaction about thinking players missing certain clues must not do crossword puzzles.

The FJ! category had me act on reflex to write Jaws. I then told myself it was going to be some Marvel thing and jotted the key words of the Avengers films. Next I added Black Panther and the correct response. My last ideas I bothered to write were Avatar and Titanic. For the rest of the break I quickly ran Best Picture winners from 2000 to present in case I needed to do that on the fly.

The FJ! clue had me laugh as one of my precalls hit the target to lock in a correct response while feeling a bit guilty as it's entirely possible I could have missed this on October 29th. It's home viewing today that counts and I'll take it. So what if it was only seeing the right movie on Christmas Eve Eve Eve Eve through Christmas Eve Eve (Did not care for it and broke it up into four pieces over three days) that helped.

Manisha had a possible 26800 and Yoshie attempted to get to 20800. Jared and Manisha had no way of knowing that various levels of lower wagering could have won the match. Manisha could have bet 3001 to cover Jared's possible 16400 and been left with 10K+ and the title defense.

Jared was 1/4 on wagering clues for a lot of tough breaks.

The Coryats show how close the match was and the clues right courtesy of The Jeopardy! Fan show 20-16-16 for fairly even as well in a match that could be replayed twice to produce a different winner each time.

Alex gave remarks prior to the reveal of the FJ! clue: A little bit of advice for our contestants as they deal with BLOCKBUSTER MOVIES. Pay close attention to every part of this clue.

The incorrect movie named twice was an expected miss while I know enough history, even without seeing the film, to never have considered Manisha's choice.

The players are 0/9 on FJ! clues this week to make me feel a little more optimistic that Alex can be sent off with a correct response on Friday.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I got my answer about KHQA on Reddit when one person posted it did not air there. If that person lives there and that is the viewing option then that sucks. If that person is using CBS All Access and picked the wrong station then lesson learned if he discovered that the other choice would have worked.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

No chance that I would get FJ right.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hope this helps for any of you preempted: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6898

Only two TS clues and I got one to complete the run in BILLBOARD.

For Yoshie's incorrect response in 4,4 I'm guessing she thought the clue, "This type of vessel offers some refreshment", was a punch bowl until she saw the creatures in the image? Even she can laugh at that after winning the game.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Went as far as guessing it had to be a superhero movie and left it there. I suppose this would be a cinch to those of you who have seen it.

I can see the wagering police donning their gear.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Spoiler
drew me in until I swerved away from the potential negbait after realizing the year was totally wrong and pivoting to the right answer. Definitely much harder if you haven’t seen the movie.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $40,600 (44R, 2W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

A tale of two rounds. Miserable first round, my worst in a very long time (second-worst was yesterday). Guessed "commander in chief" for DD1.

Then 28/30 for $34400 in DJ. Go figure.

Not a chance in h-e-double-hockey-sticks on FJ. I didn't know there even was a Wonder Woman movie in 2017, much less that it was set in WWI. I guessed Hacksaw Ridge, which was off by one year, one world war, and one order of magnitude in box office returns.
Last edited by mas3cf on Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:26 pm Only two TS clues and I got one to complete the run in BILLBOARD.
And I'll wager you made the appropriate hand motions on the 2k clue. :o

Speaking of wagers.... well.... never mind.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'll just assume I'm going to be preempted by the Capitol terrorists and talking heads and play it off the Archive (thanks, Mark!).

No guess on FJ. I knew it wasn't 1917, as that was last year, but couldn't think of any others.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Guessed Dunkirk Forgetting that it was about WW2.

Wonder Woman never even crossed my mind.
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

What is the alternative CBS channel for Jeopardy toniggt
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I missed the episode, very justifiably, because of news coverage. Anyone got a copy?

Absolutely no guess on FJ! Just had complete static when trying to pull "movies released in 2017". I think superhero movies are the worst form of entertainment possible, so I didn't even realize there was a Wonder Woman movie in 2017.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

0/3 on the week. 2017 triggered me to 1917. I wonder if I'd do better on these if I was actually watching/hearing them, instead of just reading the threads.

Worst thing is, I'm pretty sure I've heard (or even asked) this question before.

-mmm
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Heck, WW may have grossed more than every other WWI film combined.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Manisha would be back for a third game with a sensible $3,001 wager. The triple wipeout came to fruition and it cost her a win.

I had no chance in this Final but guessed Avengers because I figured it was a superhero flick.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

We saw Wonder Woman, I had it in mind that it was WWII. I guessed War Horse, I remember watching 1917 in the theater shortly before the shut down.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Time ran out on me for FJ!. I matched the two incorrect responses was a "write anything", knowing that it was 100% wrong because it was too recent. I knew the other incorrect response was wrong because it was WWII - but a great distractor, and probably why Alex admonished the contestants to pay attention to every part of the clue. Unfortunately, the biggest part of the clue was literally the category - BLOCKBUSTER. That's basically screaming either summertime action movie or MCU, but I didn't pick up on it. Even if I had, it might have taken me awhile to get the WW / WWI connection. If I'd thought the movie AND remembered Chris Pine's character, it'd be a slam-dunk. It was one of those "you had to see the movie" clues - I can't see how anyone could get WWI from the previews or movie reviews alone unless you were really paying attention, but maybe I'm wrong.

I also briefly thought of the documentary that came out around then that was shot with WWI footage, but couldn't pull the name, and figured it wasn't "highest grossing". It was Peter Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old", and was a year (and $800 million) off.

Judges corner: "Tree of Wisdom" for "Tree of knowledge (of good and evil)"? I'm saying no. "Record player" for "turntable"? I'm saying yes.