Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Post Reply
User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 5312
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:40 pm
AntmanB wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:11 pm
Probably Couric and Jennings are the only actual Auditions so far.
As mentioned in the video a little upthread, Bialik holds a Ph.d. in neuroscience, so I would say she checks the "gravitas" box. And having just turned 45 last month, she's the right age to have the potential for a decades-long run as permanent host.
Just a year older than Alex when he started.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2211
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:33 pm
Where was it announced that the latter four are each only hosting one week of episodes?
From jeopardy.com:
As part of each guest host’s appearance, a donation totaling the cumulative winnings of the contestants that compete during each guest host’s respective week will be made to a charity of their choice.
Bolding mine.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10530
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Bamaman »

That’s a pretty generous gift on Sony’s part. Imagine if James had come on during this stretch.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8291
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by opusthepenguin »

AntmanB wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:13 pm
hbomb1947 wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:40 pm
AntmanB wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:11 pm
Probably Couric and Jennings are the only actual Auditions so far.
As mentioned in the video a little upthread, Bialik holds a Ph.d. in neuroscience, so I would say she checks the "gravitas" box. And having just turned 45 last month, she's the right age to have the potential for a decades-long run as permanent host.
she just started acting in a tv show on fox. i guess she could do Both? Chris Harrison did do The Bachelor and Millionare at the same time.
It's 2021. Network sitcoms with a laugh track have a shelf-life of 10 episodes, four of which make it to air. FOX numbers may be lower. There shouldn't be any schedule conflict.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2700
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by morbeedo »

What's the going rate for an interim guest host these days?

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 2211
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 pm
What's the going rate for an interim guest host these days?
More than scale, but less than they might otherwise command, since J! is a prestige gig, I imagine. Follow up question, Are the celebs getting paid more per week than Ken?


User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8644
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AntmanB wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:13 pm
Chris Harrison did do The Bachelor and Millionare at the same time.
Well, doing two shows at the same time is a lot easier on an android than it is a human being...

(Seriously don't get the appeal for Chris Harrison at all. I've seen mannequins with more personality.)
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Woof »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:24 pm
AntmanB wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:13 pm
Chris Harrison did do The Bachelor and Millionare at the same time.
Well, doing two shows at the same time is a lot easier on an android than it is a human being...

(Seriously don't get the appeal for Chris Harrison at all. I've seen mannequins with more personality.)
Chris Harrison had a special gig: Millionaire would only tape in the summer months when taping of The Bachelor was in hiatus, so there was no direct conflict. Quite a bit of the crew also did double duty.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8644
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Woof wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:50 pm
Chris Harrison had a special gig: Millionaire would only tape in the summer months when taping of The Bachelor was in hiatus, so there was no direct conflict. Quite a bit of the crew also did double duty.
I know how this works. (I recently had to explain to someone that Wheel and Jeopardy! tape neither simultaneously nor live.)

That was more a jab at me not understanding Chris' appeal.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Anachronism »

Please stay tuned for the most dramatic Final Jeopardy ever.

Familiarity really does breed contempt. I'm hoping it ends up being someone I've never heard about. I might make an exception for LeVar Burton if he wears the visor from TNG and drops his voice about one octave.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1349
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by trainman »

ParrotRob wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:28 pm
Yeah I know. The only reason I follow J! on social media at all is they occasionally post pictures or video clips that I don't see elsewhere. The pitchforks are an amusing diversion, which is why I said it was completely anecdotal. I was just surprised at how quickly and how completely they about-faced.
Not everyone has done an about-face -- I've seen a couple of people on Facebook saying this week that they really hope Ken doesn't become the permanent host because they haven't forgiven him for defending "that bigot" (meaning "Bean Dad," which means they either didn't see or didn't accept John Roderick's apology for his past tweets).

But I do agree that this stuff really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, and the J! producers aren't going to make their decision based on the opinions of a couple people I know on Facebook.

arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:49 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by arjavrawal »

Anachronism wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm
I will renew my begging for a new host who has no connection to or interest in politics.
Unfortunately for you, because of the nature of the game, I would imagine most people auditioning to host, as well as most contestants, are probably registered voters at bare minimum. I'd also be willing to bet, because Jeopardy! is all about demonstrating your knowledge of facts, that they're at bare minimum not Republicans -- considering the GOP has no concept of that sorta thing.

That said, I really don't get why it matters so much that J! chooses someone who isn't outspoken about their politics on social media. Even Alex Trebek talked politics -- and some of the things he said about the #MeToo movement were kinda tone deaf. But nobody cared enough to deprive him the hosting gig over it, because nobody cares! And that will probably continue. Most people that watch Jeopardy! are not going to spend all their time chasing after Levar Burton's past history of tweeting in support of Biden, as one example.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by triviawayne »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:01 pm


I know how this works. (I recently had to explain to someone that Wheel and Jeopardy! tape neither simultaneously nor live.)

how does a show not tape live? :lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Sherm »

arjavrawal wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:37 am
Anachronism wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm
I will renew my begging for a new host who has no connection to or interest in politics.
I'd also be willing to bet, because Jeopardy! is all about demonstrating your knowledge of facts, that they're at bare minimum not Republicans -- considering the GOP has no concept of that sorta thing.
Keep talking like this and I'm just going to assume you are a republican.

Be willing to bet that they will hire someone that never been real active on social media and is not defined as a liberal or conservative, kinda like that guy Trebek. Someone like Anderson Cooper doesn't stand much of a chance of being the next host, though he would probably be very good. They aren't going to risk upsetting some of the demographic.

In the end, ratings do matter and they will take that into account.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 2061
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by triviawayne »

Sherm wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 am
arjavrawal wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:37 am
Anachronism wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm
I will renew my begging for a new host who has no connection to or interest in politics.
I'd also be willing to bet, because Jeopardy! is all about demonstrating your knowledge of facts, that they're at bare minimum not Republicans -- considering the GOP has no concept of that sorta thing.
Keep talking like this and I'm just going to assume you are a republican.

Be willing to bet that they will hire someone that never been real active on social media and is not defined as a liberal or conservative, kinda like that guy Trebek. Someone like Anderson Cooper doesn't stand much of a chance of being the next host, though he would probably be very good. They aren't going to risk upsetting some of the demographic.

In the end, ratings do matter and they will take that into account.
Ratings will come into play as the rating demographic of Jeopardy skews older than most advertisers really want. Stations would likely also prefer a younger demographic as J is often a lead-in to prime time programming.

While no name comes to mind for what they might do in this regard, I do expect the show to try and find someone who resonates with the younger demo.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Anachronism »

Sherm wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:27 am
arjavrawal wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:37 am
Anachronism wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm
I will renew my begging for a new host who has no connection to or interest in politics.
I'd also be willing to bet, because Jeopardy! is all about demonstrating your knowledge of facts, that they're at bare minimum not Republicans -- considering the GOP has no concept of that sorta thing.
Keep talking like this and I'm just going to assume you are a republican.

Be willing to bet that they will hire someone that never been real active on social media and is not defined as a liberal or conservative, kinda like that guy Trebek. Someone like Anderson Cooper doesn't stand much of a chance of being the next host, though he would probably be very good. They aren't going to risk upsetting some of the demographic.

In the end, ratings do matter and they will take that into account.
We're in this cancel culture where if you object to canceling, it's assumed you're a Republican (I'm not, actually). And if you admit you're a Republican, all sorts of things are assumed (including a lack of education, apparently).

I just want an 18-minute escape from all this crap every day. No reminders of either team playing this perpetual "look at me" game. None of this divisiveness. None of this hatred.

I hope Katie Couric is no longer on the permanent candidate list after her performance on Bill Maher's show. That kind of hate has to stop. She really believes in this cult stuff - which, really, puts her in a cult herself.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10530
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Bamaman »

As long as the host doesn’t give their political views on the show I don’t care what they say or do in real life.

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:45 am

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Anachronism »

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:24 am
As long as the host doesn’t give their political views on the show I don’t care what they say or do in real life.
Ideally, I agree with that. I just don't trust people who have conducted themselves in such a divisive manner. I can't look at an Anderson Cooper or a Katie Couric or a Sean Hannity (thankfully, not a candidate) without getting dragged back into what I hope, 50 years from now, is looked at as the nadir of the journalistic profession's history.

User avatar
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 7:27 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by zakharov »

Anachronism wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am
Bamaman wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:24 am
As long as the host doesn’t give their political views on the show I don’t care what they say or do in real life.
Ideally, I agree with that. I just don't trust people who have conducted themselves in such a divisive manner. I can't look at an Anderson Cooper or a Katie Couric or a Sean Hannity (thankfully, not a candidate) without getting dragged back into what I hope, 50 years from now, is looked at as the nadir of the journalistic profession's history.
You are on another planet if you're equivocating these three people.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS

Post Reply