Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Blue Lion wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:27 pm Watch me skate by with no Katie contestant during her week or Bill/Aaron during their weeks, but run into a player Sanjay, Mayim or Mehmet. :)

The roulette wheel is most likely to hit a Mike during Richards's weeks while I'm not sweating a Savannah or Anderson to compete.

When it gets to late March and archiving the Dr. Oz week do I refer to him for clue comments as Mehmet or as Dr. Oz?
Either way, you must precede it with "The Great and Powerful".
That's a good joke, I like that joke.

As to Mark's question, my vote is for Dr. Oz. In the same way if, say, Judge Judy hosted, I'd stump for calling her by her popular appellation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:27 pm Watch me skate by with no Katie contestant during her week or Bill/Aaron during their weeks, but run into a player Sanjay, Mayim or Mehmet. :)

The roulette wheel is most likely to hit a Mike during Richards's weeks while I'm not sweating a Savannah or Anderson to compete.

When it gets to late March and archiving the Dr. Oz week do I refer to him for clue comments as Mehmet or as Dr. Oz?
We once had this player.

https://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9629

In his celebrity game, he was Dr. Oz in the comments.
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:42 pm I get they were kind of thrown for a loop when Alex died. But TPTB should have had a better contingency plan in place than than a revolving door of guest hosts.
The sad thing is, I think you're right... they were thrown for a loop.

Yes. They were THROWN FOR A LOOP and "CAUGHT OFF GUARD" when an octogenarian who had a HORRIFIC disease for a year, passed away.

Look, I loved the guy too, and no one wanted him to go, but it's not like he was a 30-year old who got hit by a drunk driver. There was no reason to be thrown for a loop.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:54 pm In his celebrity game, he was Dr. Oz in the comments.
Old-timers may remember the behind-the-scenes story that he tried to sign in as "Mehmet" and Trebek vetoed.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:06 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:54 pm In his celebrity game, he was Dr. Oz in the comments.
Old-timers may remember the behind-the-scenes story that he tried to sign in as "Mehmet" and Trebek vetoed.
Why did Alex veto it?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:19 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:06 pm
Why did Alex veto it?
He wanted him to sign in as "Quack".
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I say it depends on whether Johnny introduces him as "Dr. Oz" or "Mehmet Oz."
AntmanB
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by AntmanB »

Have they Announced whos Episodes are next?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:11 am Have they Announced whos Episodes are next?
Mike Richards Feb. 22 - March 5 is what I've read.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Savannah Guthrie ought to be expelled from the business after that horrendous job she did interviewing President Trump
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:58 am Savannah Guthrie ought to be expelled from the business after that horrendous job she did interviewing President Trump
I dunno, it seemed like she did a pretty good job emphasizing the important relationship of answers to questions there, which suits her for Jeopardy.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Having hosted a game with Jason playing, I can say he is insanely fast at processing information and hitting a buzzer. Imagine if he didn’t have to wait for the buzzer to get activated.

If he doesn’t win, I’ll be surprised.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

polaris wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:13 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:42 pm I get they were kind of thrown for a loop when Alex died. But TPTB should have had a better contingency plan in place than than a revolving door of guest hosts.
The sad thing is, I think you're right... they were thrown for a loop.

Yes. They were THROWN FOR A LOOP and "CAUGHT OFF GUARD" when an octogenarian who had a HORRIFIC disease for a year, passed away.

Look, I loved the guy too, and no one wanted him to go, but it's not like he was a 30-year old who got hit by a drunk driver. There was no reason to be thrown for a loop.
Sarcasm aside. I figured when they signed Jennings up as an consulting producer, that they were lining him up to be the host, be it interim or full time. I have a hard time believing that Jennings came in, not knowing that he was at minimum going to be a part time host if Alex didn't make it. Its only common sense that it was discussed. I still don't think it will be Jennings next year. I think it is going to be someone who is basically a pro. Someone that has done a lot of voice work in the past and has shown that they are very good in a quicker rapid fire Q&A type setting.

If I were TPTB, I'd start with Pat Kiernan. He'd be very good.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Sherm wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:24 pm I have a hard time believing that Jennings came in, not knowing that he was at minimum going to be a part time host if Alex didn't make it.
Ken's said he discussed hosting with Alex, which reason dictates would had to have happened while Alex was living, so clearly a contingency plan involving Jennings as host, interim or otherwise, was in place.

Ken has shown there are a lot of reasons to like him as permanent host. They could probably find someone with a better reading voice, perhaps with a bit more polish in the presentation, but I am convinced, both by his performance on the show and by listening to his twice-weekly podcast, that they will not find anyone as broadly knowledgeable and quick-witted as Ken. And they will probably not find anyone who can so naturally go into humble/self-effacing mode for maximum likeability. Plus, he's the GOAT, so it's not like he hasn't in some way "earned" it, both by his contestant performances and his trivia-related career. I'm still not sure he's the best choice for permanent host, and I would like to see a few more auditions (not celebrity stunt-casting guest spots), but if they were to announce him as Alex's replacement, you wouldn't see me complaining. I'd just be sad for all the people that his permanent hiring would permanently rule out as contestants, for standards & practices reasons.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I've really enjoyed Ken's banter/teasing with the contestants. I think he's really good at relaxing them in a way that was tough with Alex.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
radioinsomnia
Contributor

Post by radioinsomnia »

An interview with Dr. Oz reveals he's taped two weeks of shows that will air in March: https://www.radio.com/wcbsfm/latest/dr- ... rs-webinar
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

Dr. Oz? Really? Well, now I know what shows I'll skip watching. Why don't we just allow Marjorie Taylor Greene to host a few while we're at it! Ugh.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I just found the guest host schedule on Jeopardy!'s website.
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... t-schedule
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The official Jeopardy! Twitter account put up a trailer advertising Mike Richards's guest hosting stint.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:17 pm The official Jeopardy! Twitter account put up a trailer advertising Mike Richards's guest hosting stint.
In just a few words we heard "incredible" x2, "amazing", "very" and "a lot". And to cap it all off, the hand on the ear gag...

I'm not going to say anything else.

EDIT: Oh I almost missed it: 2 laugh tracks