Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Johnblue »

She’s okay one day and then awful the next. The other day a nice older lady new the answer to an 80’s music question and MB seemed flustered by that. Then yesterday she went with it when the older contestant knew a music question. Her constant interjections aren’t helping her case. And she’s still doing that odd giggling at times. She’s not as awful as couric but I hope she doesn’t get the job.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 pm I don't mind the occasional ad lib (Alex was no stranger to them) but it gets rather old how Mayim is constantly ad libbing, mainly to make comments about herself. An example from the contestant interviews was how she went out of her way to tell everybody she went to a Violent Femmes concert when it was not particularly relevant.
What are you talking about? She began the interview the way Alex often did, with the "You and I have something in common" lead-in, asked Julia what band's show she was in the mosh pit for, and answered the question for herself; there was nothing out of the way about that.
Last edited by seaborgium on Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:22 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:13 pm I don't mind the occasional ad lib (Alex was no stranger to them) but it gets rather old how Mayim is constantly ad libbing, mainly to make comments about herself. An example from the contestant interviews was how she went out of her way to tell everybody she went to a Violent Femmes concert when it was not particularly relevant.
What are you talking about? She began the interview the way Alex often does, with the "You and I have something in common" lead-in, asked Julia what band's show she was in the mosh pit for, and answered the question for herself; there was nothing out of the way about that.
Fair point; I had forgotten that was the buildup.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:23 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:22 pm
What are you talking about? She began the interview the way Alex often did, with the "You and I have something in common" lead-in, asked Julia what band's show she was in the mosh pit for, and answered the question for herself; there was nothing out of the way about that.
Fair point; I had forgotten that was the buildup.
Some people have selective hearing in order to confirm their pre-judgments.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

I haven't seen this article posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 979413002/

Don't be fooled by the URL text.

I agreed with the ranking all the way through to 2 (I rate the person ranked 1 in the bottom 3). Odd how the writer manages to rank Guthrie when we've only seen two days of her hosting.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:27 pm I agreed with the ranking all the way through to 2 (I rate the person ranked 1 in the bottom 3). Odd how the writer manages to rank Guthrie when we've only seen two days of her hosting.
I mostly agree with your ranking, although I put Rodgers ahead of Cooper and Ken just barely ahead of Buzzy.

Mike #1? Uh, no.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:15 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:27 pm I agreed with the ranking all the way through to 2 (I rate the person ranked 1 in the bottom 3). Odd how the writer manages to rank Guthrie when we've only seen two days of her hosting.
I mostly agree with your ranking, although I put Rodgers ahead of Cooper and Ken just barely ahead of Buzzy.

Mike #1? Uh, no.
I think that's strictly women going gaga over his looks.
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Mike #1? Uh, no.
I could also agree with your ranking. I have three groupings, within which rankings are somewhat interchangeable:

Bad enough to make watching J! painful: Oz, Whittaker, Richards.

Bland and mostly forgettable: Couric, Cooper, Rodgers. Based on her first two shows, Guthrie is somewhere in the middle of this list.

Why aren't they hosting permanently already: Bialek, Jennings, Cohen.
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:22 am

Mike #1? Uh, no.
I think that's strictly women going gaga over his looks.
Not this woman! Sure, he's easy on the eye, but so are several other contenders, male and female. That's at the bottom of my list when it comes to hosting strengths and I sincerely hope it isn't a criterion any decision-maker considers 🙄
Golf

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:22 am I think that's strictly women going gaga over his looks.
Absolutely. Another aspect of the outchange.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I am at least grateful to Richards for hosting on an emergency basis; I never got the sense he saw himself as a serious contender (clickbait articles aside).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:27 am I am at least grateful to Richards for hosting on an emergency basis; I never got the sense he saw himself as a serious contender (clickbait articles aside).
I think in his heart of hearts he wouldn't mind being the host. I think he could probably handle hosting and his exec producer duties. Notwithstanding the fact that Richards made himself a writer on the show, I don't get the sense that he is as well-read as Alex was or as interested in facts/trivia, so I'm uncertain how well he would do at the off-screen aspects of the job--the rigorous clue scrutiny that Alex used to provide.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

What salacious tea is behind the clickbaity headline ‘Jeopardy!’ Contestant Speaks Out About Savannah Guthrie’s Performance as Guest Host?
Spoiler
Jessica Newman, a Kentucky attorney, said the TODAY show co-host was “very nice, very professional,” she told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

‘“She was great,” Newman said. “She seemed very comfortable doing it.”
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:28 pm What salacious tea is behind the clickbaity headline ‘Jeopardy!’ Contestant Speaks Out About Savannah Guthrie’s Performance as Guest Host?
Spoiler
Jessica Newman, a Kentucky attorney, said the TODAY show co-host was “very nice, very professional,” she told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

‘“She was great,” Newman said. “She seemed very comfortable doing it.”
I'm not even angry, that's impressive search engine optimization chicanery
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
goongas

Post by goongas »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:31 am
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:27 am I am at least grateful to Richards for hosting on an emergency basis; I never got the sense he saw himself as a serious contender (clickbait articles aside).
I think in his heart of hearts he wouldn't mind being the host. I think he could probably handle hosting and his exec producer duties. Notwithstanding the fact that Richards made himself a writer on the show, I don't get the sense that he is as well-read as Alex was or as interested in facts/trivia, so I'm uncertain how well he would do at the off-screen aspects of the job--the rigorous clue scrutiny that Alex used to provide.
Harry Friedman was a writer on the show too. Do they actually write questions, or do they just sit in the writers' meetings, and per union rules would have to be credited as writers?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:42 pm
morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:12 pm Is it safe to assume that the show won’t announce the new host until after the end of the season? I feel like an earlier announcement would kill any enthusiasm for the remaining lineup of guest hosts.
Let's put the start of S38 taping as July 20th. Even if it's July 27 that still ahead of the season ending on August 13th. There is no way the new host can stay secret 2-3 weeks. The announcement has to come before the end of the season.

Not the same thing, but we knew Ken was guest hosting before Alex's last new games aired.

July 21 is where I'll set the over/under date and I'll take the under.
LeVar Burton is trending again now that he’s released the promo pic for his guest host stint the week of July 26th. If the new host is announced before his episodes air - assuming LeVar is not The One - I expect that won’t go over well with the Twitter mob
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Yeah and I can even imagine the hatred towards whoever the new host is going to be via Twitter and other social media platforms, as well.
Just a person who loves game shows.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

They should just do the simple thing and pick a host that will make everybody happy.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:29 pm They should just do the simple thing and pick a host that will make everybody happy.
Unless they can bring Alex back from the dead, that isn’t happening.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:23 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:29 pm They should just do the simple thing and pick a host that will make everybody happy.
Unless they can bring Alex back from the dead, that isn’t happening.
Hologram
Total game show career losings = $171,522