Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Robert K S »

https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-guest-hosts-full-schedule/

Doesn't give dates for Anderson Cooper, Savannah Guthrie, Mayim Bialik, Bill Whitaker, or Dr. Sanjay Gupta, but I think we can assume them to have two weeks each, which takes us through 6/25.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:05 pm https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-guest-hosts-full-schedule/

Doesn't give dates for Anderson Cooper, Savannah Guthrie, Mayim Bialik, Bill Whitaker, or Dr. Sanjay Gupta, but I think we can assume them to have two weeks each, which takes us through 6/25.
J! already wanted to do the ToC earlier this season and with no College, Teen or Teachers on tap I think it's possible it airs in May.

At this point I would think only Ken or Mike would host it though I could see Anderson doing it separately from his first go-around.

It could be that if the slate of guest hosts hold then it could go through July 9th.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

That still wouldn't take us through the end of a regular-length S37, which I believe would end 7/30.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Katie Couric interview up:

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

She looks the part. I bet she does a good job.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Agreed; her speaking tempo in the interview is a little slow for clue reading, though. Hopefully she was coached to read faster than she speaks contemporaneously. I was touched by her mentioning her close loved ones who were also lost to cancer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In the background of the tweet picture with Katie standing up, is that a down-type insulated jacket? Even in January is that needed in the Los Angeles area?

These upcoming two weeks of games should go along fine without too many extremes of reactions and comments of Katie needing to be the permanent host or being terrible.

The weeks starting March 22nd though...
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:00 pm These upcoming two weeks of games should go along fine without too many extremes of reactions and comments of Katie needing to be the permanent host or being terrible.

I agree with this completely. I think Katie will do a fantastic job these next 10 episodes.

And then after that, I just need to repeat the mantra to myself "I'm here for the trivia, I'm here for the trivia..."
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:00 pm In the background of the tweet picture with Katie standing up, is that a down-type insulated jacket? Even in January is that needed in the Los Angeles area?
It is in the studio
Total game show career losings = $171,522
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Also, I wish my wife talked about my trivia chops the way Katie talked about her late husband's :o :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:00 pm In the background of the tweet picture with Katie standing up, is that a down-type insulated jacket? Even in January is that needed in the Los Angeles area?

These upcoming two weeks of games should go along fine without too many extremes of reactions and comments of Katie needing to be the permanent host or being terrible.

I guess you haven’t seen the Jeopardy Facebook page if you think there aren’t many reactions about her hosting.

I think she will be fine as host. She was speaking a little slowly in her interview but people were worried about Ken being slow based on a handful of clues he read right before Alex died but he picked up the pace once he was behind the big lecturn.

I agree with RKS it was nice she made her charity personal with her sister and husband.

And even if she (or any of the others) are horrible, it is only ten shows.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:28 pm

I guess you haven’t seen the Jeopardy Facebook page if you think there aren’t many reactions about her hosting.

I think she will be fine as host. She was speaking a little slowly in her interview but people were worried about Ken being slow based on a handful of clues he read right before Alex died but he picked up the pace once he was behind the big lecturn.

I agree with RKS it was nice she made her charity personal with her sister and husband.

And even if she (or any of the others) are horrible, it is only ten shows.
When I made the post I was thinking more JBoard and Reddit and not J!'s Facebook which I don't look at. On Facebook I do look at the J! players group and I don't expect Katie Couric to make much of a stir either way.

In the wild west of social media sites negativity will run amok the rest of the season no matter who is hosting and that includes for the online anointed one LeVar Burton if he even gets a sniff of the studio.

After my post I did check Reddit to see the range of anti-Katie posts that were allowed to stay.

Yes, it's only 10 games and as we learned with Mike's weeks it does go by quickly. Fingers crossed for me that there is no contestant Katie on tap for host Katie's games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t normally look at their Facebook page but I do “like” it so it pops up in my newsfeed. I saw they posted about Couric being the guest host so I checked it out and it was about what I expected. I am sure there will be more hand wringing with Oz, Rodgers, Cooper, Guthrie, and Whittaker. Gupta might escape the mob but he works for CNN and supports wearing a mask so people will want to cancel him as well. Bailik might be safe.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:08 am I don’t normally look at their Facebook page but I do “like” it so it pops up in my newsfeed. I saw they posted about Couric being the guest host so I checked it out and it was about what I expected. I am sure there will be more hand wringing with Oz, Rodgers, Cooper, Guthrie, and Whittaker. Gupta might escape the mob but he works for CNN and supports wearing a mask so people will want to cancel him as well. Bailik might be safe.
Mayim Bialik definitely brings out the hatorade for several reasons.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Howard Stern discussed Ken Jennings as host on his show last week. Probably not too surprisingly he thought Ken did "okay for an amateur," but his opinion is that a professional announcer should get the job--preferably a radio announcer. To me it seemed more like a screed on how it's not like the good old days when radio announcers got these kind of gigs than an honest assessment of Ken's performance.
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:18 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:05 pm https://ew.com/tv/jeopardy-guest-hosts-full-schedule/

J! already wanted to do the ToC earlier this season and with no College, Teen or Teachers on tap I think it's possible it airs in May.

At this point I would think only Ken or Mike would host it though I could see Anderson doing it separately from his first go-around.

It could be that if the slate of guest hosts hold then it could go through July 9th.
is there anything that actually indicates that the TOC will take place this season? I know Ken said to Brian and Zach something about them being in the TOC for next season but I feel like that's ambiguous and could mean the following year or whatever, given the possible COVID concerns.
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Katie Couric behind-the-scenes video.

The DJ! Round paper she holds up at 1:11 doesn't match any round from the first week, so it's either a week 2 round or a dummy round used for behind-the-scenes purposes. (Alex Trebek went through and pretended to mark up a game or two for Forbes cameras a few years ago. If you watched the raw footage, at the end it was revealed they were dummy games.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Gives a good idea as to what the contestants are looking at with the scoreboard and the monitor they can see.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Anderson Cooper is now officially April 19-30, per the graphic at the top of the page.

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/news-eve ... t-schedule
ksuc

Post by ksuc »

This is a late response, I believe someone before me must have stated it earlier: I need more diverse roster of guest hosts. We've seen journalists/anchors of major news networks: CBS, NBC, and CNN – I need more of ABC, MSNBC, and FOX News. I completely understand this will bring political controversies, and I am far from being independent/non-partisan at all, but I believe many many talented anchors on those three networks should be explored as well.

My personal nominations:
ABC is for David Muir or Martha Raddatz.
MSNBC is for Brian Williams or Joy Reid.
FOX News is for Bret Baier or Martha McCallum. (personally think Maria Bartiromo is also an excellent host too, if you ignore all the controversies)
Also don't forget Shepard Smith.