Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by gameshowfandanny »

This thread will announce Jeopardy! interim hosts.
Ken Jennings: Ken is known for being the consulting producer of Jeopardy!, winning a record $2,520,700 in 74 games, and for winning Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time, and he hosted a high school quiz bowl local show called Face-Off Minnesota. Ken will host for six weeks.
Mike Richards: Mike is known for being the Executive Producer of Jeopardy! and Wheel. He formerly was the Executive Producer of Price and Let's Make a Deal. He hosted Beauty and the Geek, GSN's version of The Pyramid, and another GSN show called Divided. Mike will host for two weeks.
Katie Couric: According to the Los Angeles Times, Katie will be an interim host for a week. Katie is known for being a political correspondent on Today on NBC, and was a co-anchor on said show. On CBS, she was a correspondent on 60 Minutes, was the lead reporter for CBS Reports, the anchor of CBS Evening News, and the host of @katiecouric. On ABC, she hosted the talk show, Katie.
Aaron Rodgers: Aaron said on The Pat McAfee Show that he will be a guest host. Aaron is known for being the quarterback of the Green Bay Packers. He won on Celebrity Jeopardy! on May 12, 2015 and played for the MACC fund.
Bill Whitaker: Known for being a 60 Minutes correspondent, Bill will be another guest host.
Mayim Bialik: Mayim is known for being a neuroscientist and an actress.
Dr. Oz: Dr. Mehmet Oz is a cardiac surgeon and is known for hosting The Dr. Oz Show. Dr. Oz won $10,000 for HealthCorps on Jeopardy! Power Players Week in 2012.
Anderson Cooper: Anderson hosts Anderson Cooper 360.
Savannah Guthrie: Savannah is known for being the co-anchor of Today.
Dr. Sanjay Gupta: Dr. Sanjay Gupta is known for being the chief medical correspondent on CNN.
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by morbeedo »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:29 pm Katie Couric: According to the Los Angeles Times, Katie will be an interim host for a week.
One week!? That’s one or two days work for Couric. This revolving door will probably be a nightmare for the staff and crew with repeated taping breaks and resets. But who knows. I wish them all the best of luck!
gameshowfandanny

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:51 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:29 pm Katie Couric: According to the Los Angeles Times, Katie will be an interim host for a week.
One week!? That’s one or two days work for Couric. This revolving door will probably be a nightmare for the staff and crew with repeated taping breaks and resets. But who knows. I wish them all the best of luck!
Yes. This is from a Daily Mail article:
"Veteran news anchor Katie Couric has been tapped to step into the role of guest host for the popular series for a week of shows, the Los Angeles Times reported on Wednesday."
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... sodes.html
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:29 pm This thread will announce Jeopardy! interim hosts.
Note that Dane Cook made a tweet after Ken was announced to be an interim host, saying that he got a call from his team asking if he wanted to guest host Jeopardy!, however, I will not include that in this list until we know for sure whether Dane will be an interim host.
Ken Jennings: Ken is known for being the consulting producer of Jeopardy!, winning a record $2,520,700 in 74 games, and for winning Jeopardy! The Greatest of All Time, and he hosted a high school quiz bowl local show called Face-Off Minnesota. According to a tweet from The Jeopardy! Fan, Jennings has already taped three weeks of shows.
Katie Couric: According to the Los Angeles Times, Katie will be an interim host for a week. Katie is known for being a political correspondent on Today on NBC, and was a co-anchor on said show. On CBS, she was a correspondent on 60 Minutes, was the lead reporter for CBS Reports, and the host of @katiecouric. On ABC, she hosted the talk show, Katie.
Urrrggghhh. Of the three, I'd go with Ken. Katie Couric is a Meredith Vieira kind of choice. Not a good fit for the tone of the show. And Dane Cook is the Dane Cook of possible hosts.

https://youtu.be/5od0nN-Zlys?t=73

The more I think about it, the more I warm to the idea of LeVar Burton. Dignity without stuffiness or condescension.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

One week might not be too bad for some guest hosts. They could be doing a reduced load - walkthrough with guest host Tuesday morning, 2 games Tuesday afternoon, 3 games on Wednesday. If my info is accurate, the 5-shows-a-week load is what they did for Alex's last shows that are airing this week, and might be appropriate for guest hosts who are fairly new to game shows from behind the lectern.

Or, perhaps they could just get a particular host for one day due to scheduling.

As far as Dane Cook - blech. Why? I don't see him in the archive as a contestant. And there's this clue:

#6422, aired 2012-07-17 ROUGH REVIEWS ON Rotten Tomatoes $800: Oh Dane Cook, "Good Luck" him "has all the engaging magnetism of an unflushed toilet"

They're not wrong...at least about the person. He was part of a litany of Boston-based comedians and musicians who did the Boston Strong concert at TD Garden in 2013. (Well, Boston-based folks and, for some reason, Jason Aldean.) The concert was amazing. His set was awful, and he was apparently a prima donna - when the local ABC network aired the concert a few weeks later, he didn't let them show is set - and it wasn't because he thought it was substandard. Every other artist released their material to be shown, since it was basically a kind of telethon. I think the same rules held for the live feed of the concert that was available - when Cook came on stage, it had to go dead. But I could be wrong.

Either way, he's a bad fit for Jeopardy!, IMO. If they're trying to avoid controversy and steering away from Ken, going towards Dane Cook isn't the right nmove.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A three-clue sample (2015-06-15) is enough for judgment and comments, right? https://archive.org/details/couric-2015-06-15

That Brennan guy looks pretty sharp. He might be around for a while.
davey

Post by davey »

Here is the LA Times story. They are the sole source of this story so far.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... isodes-air
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of Dane Cook.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:21 pm A three-clue sample (2015-06-15) is enough for judgment and comments, right? https://archive.org/details/couric-2015-06-15

That Brennan guy looks pretty sharp. He might be around for a while.
Thanks for that. Yeah, she's not a terrible choice. Maybe I'd warm to her. She just seems kind of generic. She's a month and change older than LeVar Burton, so if they're considering that age range.... On the other hand, women live longer than men, so she may have 7 or so useful years on him. Hard to say from general stats. I don't know the family history of either and that would be a much better predictor.

If they're considering former contestants, I still say Stephanie Jass is worth a look. They might think moving from KJ to SJ is just jumping from one controversy to another. But Stephanie's controversy isn't the kind that raises hackles and causes people to write someone off forever. It's more the kind of controversy where they love a good redemption story.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I liked Katie Couric on the $100,000 Pyramid ;)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 pm Never heard of Dane Cook.
Mostly known for his stand-up comedy shows done in the round and comedy albums. Onstage, he's extremely physical, with big gestures and body movement imitations. His biggest laugh, that I remember, was for his "cross the street, dammit" bit, which I can find audio of, but not video of, on YouTube. It's not the same without watching his body, so I won't bother reposting here.

Here's a profile from a couple years ago:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... ck-1185532

I think he was kidding about hosting the show and he should be removed from this list.
gameshowfandanny

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:22 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 pm Never heard of Dane Cook.
Mostly known for his stand-up comedy shows done in the round and comedy albums. Onstage, he's extremely physical, with big gestures and body movement imitations. His biggest laugh, that I remember, was for his "cross the street, dammit" bit, which I can find audio of, but not video of, on YouTube. It's not the same without watching his body, so I won't bother reposting here.

Here's a profile from a couple years ago:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... ck-1185532

I think he was kidding about hosting the show and he should be removed from this list.
I'm going to remove him from the list in case he was.
gameshowfandanny

This article from The New York Times states that a spokeswoman said that Ken has taped 30 episodes, so once Ken started hosting, they probably went back to doing five shows a day, since 30 episodes would be six weeks.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/arts ... ticleShare
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:22 pm This article from The New York Times states that a spokeswoman said that Ken has taped 30 episodes, so once Ken started hosting, they probably went back to doing five shows a day, since 30 episodes would be six weeks.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/07/arts ... ticleShare
Perhaps they felt comfortable doing 5 shows/day for somebody who (relatively) knows his way around the J! ropes like Ken, whereas they only did the 2/3 model for a newbie like Katie?
Golf

Post by Golf »

Or maybe Ken taped 1 show a day for 30 straight days. Or perhaps he taped 30 shows in 1 day. Let’s face it, nobody here knows yet or has any clue as to how other potential hosts will do it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Golf wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:25 pm Or maybe Ken taped 1 show a day for 30 straight days. Or perhaps he taped 30 shows in 1 day. Let’s face it, nobody here knows yet or has any clue as to how other potential hosts will do it.
I think we do know that they will tape multiple shows per day. It's just not economical to do it any other way.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Is it Confirmed 1/11 will be Couric Starting?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:12 am Is it Confirmed 1/11 will be Couric Starting?
KJ on 1/11 and a few posts above has him down for already doing 30 shows. Katie is said to do five shows with an unknown airing. Regular shows have to air in order unless J! does a major rule shift and has (jumps the shark) three new contestants each day.
davey

Post by davey »

J! has not confirmed that Kate Couric is appearing at all...
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:30 am
AntmanB wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:12 am Is it Confirmed 1/11 will be Couric Starting?
KJ on 1/11 and a few posts above has him down for already doing 30 shows. Katie is said to do five shows with an unknown airing. Regular shows have to air in order unless J! does a major rule shift and has (jumps the shark) three new contestants each day.
How far in advance does J! usually tape?

I just had a random thought that they might be picking up the pace to get back on schedule. So Ken's shows might not be consecutive if they bring in somebody else when Ken takes a few days off. I don't know what kind of burden that would be on the rest of the crew. Shouldn't be a problem for the contestants unless they have a big superchamp.