Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Bamaman »

The new season starts in 39 days. So they need to pick someone soon to get started.
MtlMike
Valued Contributor

Post by MtlMike »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:32 pm Scenario #2: This is a de-facto "let's not make a decision" decision. If any other new host is picked and then bombs in the role, it will be a much greater embarrassment and loss to the show than if Richard takes over for a year, and observers see whether the show flourishes or flounders. If the show does as well with Richards as with Trebek, they can leave it alone, but Richards can easily step aside and let the first genuinely "new" host take over in a year or two.
This is in line with my pet theory which is that they really wanted Aaron Rodgers. Now that he will still be playing in the NFL this year and possibly a few more based on his age and talent, they could be using Richards as a placeholder until Rodgers is available. I personally found Aaron to be in the top 3 or 4 of the guest hosts (Buzzy, Mayim, Ken) which is remarkable given that he has virtually no experience as a TV personality/host compared to all the others, giving him a lot of room to grow into the role.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I heard a rumor that Mike slept with himself to get the job.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

LeVar's reaction to the news:
bkellysky
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bkellysky »

Mike Richards as new host of JEOPARDY! ?
Well, then, if the ratings drop, the SONY folks have an excuse to fire the Host and the Producer to show they are fixing the problem in one fell swoop. :)
Taking that to its extreme they could hire a certain executive producer and fire both of them if ratings go south.
(But easier to do if it's just one person, especially if the overall quality of the show is perceived to have decreased during his time.)
bob
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

While I'm sort of disappointed that Mayim (if she even wanted it) or Buzzy wasn't selected, I am okay with Mike being named host. The true fans of Jeopardy! will always be fans of Jeopardy! and will tune in, regardless of who is host. Those of us who need our daily quiz fix will continue watching...and younger people who want something tougher than trivia apps found on their phones will become new fans of the show.

At least that's how I see it.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Mike Richards the 'frontrunner' for J! Host

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Game show experience is not the same as trivia credibility. Alex brought both when he began, since he had spent years hosting Reach for the Top and other knowledge-based competitions. He was also someone who was deeply tuned into current events, personalities, and history from his news broadcasting days, and over the years of hosting showed himself to always be someone with an interesting pile of reading material on his nightstand. Can the same be said of Mike Richards? Is he really known as a trivia aficionado, a knowledge-lover? Or does he come across more as a showbiz ladder-climber? Richards talked a lot about credibility being one of the key features of the new Jeopardy! host. Even if he has the presentability--the vocal tone and visual aesthetic--does he have the cred?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

squarekara wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:30 pm More chatter. . .
Fox News: 'Jeopardy!' viewers react to Mike Richards in negotiations to take over as host.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/j ... _newsstand
But fans online were more impressed by other guest hosts such as LeVar Burton and Mayim Bialik.
Okay, who exactly was impressed by LeVar Burton? :D
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

SBurrus wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:11 pm While I'm sort of disappointed that Mayim (if she even wanted it) or Buzzy wasn't selected, I am okay with Mike being named host. The true fans of Jeopardy! will always be fans of Jeopardy! and will tune in, regardless of who is host. Those of us who need our daily quiz fix will continue watching...and younger people who want something tougher than trivia apps found on their phones will become new fans of the show.

At least that's how I see it.
J! is nothing without its high standard of impeccable clues. That standard has noticeably declined during Mike Richards' time as Executive Producer, and it didn't magically improve during his brief time as guest host. To the extent that J! clue-writing becomes sloppier, there is less and less reason to watch J! at all. One of the other guest hosts might have been able to intervene as Alex did and curate the clues when a "dud" was detected. Richards is apparently not the man to do that, so if he's the new host it's likely that the show will continue to decline in that area.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:27 pm The new season starts in 39 days. So they need to pick someone soon to get started.
How far in advance do they need to tape, practically speaking?
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:31 pm
Fox News: 'Jeopardy!' viewers react to Mike Richards in negotiations to take over as host.
But fans online were more impressed by other guest hosts such as LeVar Burton and Mayim Bialik.
Okay, who exactly was impressed by LeVar Burton? :D
(makes presence known)
alamble

Post by alamble »

Apparently Richards' claim of being a last-minute fill-in is ..... not entirely accurate: https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/ ... hards-sony
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alamble wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:04 pm Apparently Richards' claim of being a last-minute fill-in is ..... not entirely accurate: https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/ ... hards-sony
That makes me like him even less.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wonder if Harry Friedman retired when he did so he didn’t have to deal with the situation of deciding how to handle things if Alex died and to hire the new host.
hdayejr
Contributor

Post by hdayejr »

Fox news? On a Jeopardy site? Jesus H
Golf

Post by Golf »

hdayejr wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:24 pm Fox news? On a Jeopardy site? Jesus H
If they were first to confirm which episodes will be shown during the four weeks of reruns, I think you’d be ok with it.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

hdayejr wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:24 pm
Fox news? On a Jeopardy site? Jesus H
Puh-leez.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

alamble wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:04 pm Apparently Richards' claim of being a last-minute fill-in is ..... not entirely accurate: https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/ ... hards-sony
What a sleaze. Angling for this from the beginning while playing the reluctant hero.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »