Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:08 pm
brucejoel199 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:30 pm TOC from May 17-May 28th?
You know, I was in such a hurry to post my hilarious May/Mayim joke that I never even made that connection. Good looking out.
So...you're saying it's going to be a Mayim Mayhem May?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:12 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:08 pm
brucejoel199 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:30 pm TOC from May 17-May 28th?
You know, I was in such a hurry to post my hilarious May/Mayim joke that I never even made that connection. Good looking out.
So...you're saying it's going to be a Mayim Mayhem May?
Maybe
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Aaron Rodgers gets points for studying the craft. I just hope he doesn't come off as a slavishly imitative fanboy.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:42 pm Aaron Rodgers gets points for studying the craft. I just hope he doesn't come off as a slavishly imitative fanboy.
Studying game film is an extension of his regular gig, so I'm not surprised.
OCSam
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

On Facebook I received a message that on Stu Shostak's show a mention was made that the host or guest heard from a Sony insider said that Ken Jennings was going to host the ToC to air in June or July. Fact or fiction, time will tell. Fourth hand information can be on the mark or it can wild rumor spreading.

Clearing out the ToC field of players that aired with Alex Trebek hosting makes sense to me to wrap up this season.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:41 am On Facebook I received a message that on Stu Shostak's show a mention was made that the host or guest heard from a Sony insider said that Ken Jennings was going to host the ToC to air in June or July. Fact or fiction, time will tell. Fourth hand information can be on the mark or it can wild rumor spreading.

Clearing out the ToC field of players that aired with Alex Trebek hosting makes sense to me to wrap up this season.
If that's the case, maybe the 2 weeks in May will be the College Championship. I think we know they'd gotten to at least a second round of interviews by Winter.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The Ringer interviewed Rodgers:
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/4/5/2 ... st-q-and-a

Shoutout about halfway down you'll want to stick around for :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:59 pm The Ringer interviewed Rodgers:
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2021/4/5/2 ... st-q-and-a

Shoutout about halfway down you'll want to stick around for :D
That was a fun read. Thanks. He really comes off well in interviews. I suppose he's had practice, but a lot of sports people who've had practice still end up stumbling and spewing cliches. He really makes me root for him.

It was interesting to hear him talk about being nervous as a contestant and as host. It's definitely not noticeable. But I wonder if he was constantly telling himself "Take a breath. Slow down." That could account for some of the lack of pep we've been noticing. If so, it's a temporary problem that would disappear as he grows into the role.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Here is some encouraging new: if Jeopardy listens that is.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/read ... cJH_Y1BUwQ
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm Here is some encouraging new: if Jeopardy listens that is.

That's not really news. As the article notes, that petition started -- and Burton expressed his approval of it -- five months ago. The question is why he hasn't even gotten a guest-hosting slot. It's strange.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:37 pm Here is some encouraging new: if Jeopardy listens that is.

I'm sure they considered him, and they must have had their reasons for not including him. I don't think it's right to put pressure on them to reverse that decision. That's just my take.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A Wray wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:54 pm The question is why he hasn't even gotten a guest-hosting slot.
Mike Richards seems to have a strange "plan":
What I'll tell you is, for the guest hosts, we're gonna look at ... people that are credible giving the clues, people that can actually give the clues accurately, that are going to be able to rule right or wrong on the responses, and that Jeopardy! fans will enjoy in that role, but that will not try to make themselves the star, and will work to make the contestants and the game the star. There'll be a wide range of, I think, big names that you'll go, “Oh yeah, of course,” and then my hope is that there's a couple of, “Oh, I hadn't thought of that person, and I'd like to see what that looks like hosting Jeopardy!” That’s the plan.
[Y]ou will also see big-name people who are not going to be considered for the [permanent hosting] role but they just love the show, love Alex and wanted to pay tribute. So not everyone who comes on is auditioning. We are going to go in a lot of different directions...
deano
Contributor

Post by deano »

If the ToC is going in that open window then I would think it could be taping next week. Ken or Mike seem the most likely to host. Watch Ken's Twitter for action (or lack of action) Tuesday the 6th & Wednesday the 7th?
His Twitter is quiet yesterday and today... #JustSayin
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

deano wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:00 pm His Twitter is quiet yesterday and today... #JustSayin
Hate to burst your bubble (I'm just as excited as you are, trust me) but at least three of the upcoming ToCers have posted on Reddit/Twitter in the past 24 hours... doesn't exclude the possibility for a May ToC yet because these tapings do sometimes happen closer to the airdate, but just not this week it sounds like.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:24 pm
A Wray wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:54 pm The question is why he hasn't even gotten a guest-hosting slot.
Mike Richards seems to have a strange "plan":
What I'll tell you is, for the guest hosts, we're gonna look at ... people that are credible giving the clues, people that can actually give the clues accurately, that are going to be able to rule right or wrong on the responses, and that Jeopardy! fans will enjoy in that role, but that will not try to make themselves the star, and will work to make the contestants and the game the star. There'll be a wide range of, I think, big names that you'll go, “Oh yeah, of course,” and then my hope is that there's a couple of, “Oh, I hadn't thought of that person, and I'd like to see what that looks like hosting Jeopardy!” That’s the plan.
[Y]ou will also see big-name people who are not going to be considered for the [permanent hosting] role but they just love the show, love Alex and wanted to pay tribute. So not everyone who comes on is auditioning. We are going to go in a lot of different directions...
As long as that plan does not include hiring Dr. Oz as host.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:09 pm

I'm sure they considered him, and they must have had their reasons for not including him. I don't think it's right to put pressure on them to reverse that decision. That's just my take.
I was wondering the same thing, and when I looked what Levar Burton has been up to recently on his Wikipedia, I might have found the answer. I have absolutely nothing against Levar Burton and you could consider me a fan. I noticed he has had a contentious legal history with Reading Rainbow. He seems to keep trying to reboot the show or draw off of its success without owning the rights to it. I would love a Reading Rainbow reboot, and don't have an opinion on the legal situation, but I could see why in show business these sorts of recurring legal disputes over use of a brand might cause producers to shy away. Hope I'm wrong and we see him as a guest host.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I remembered Burton's attempt to Kickstart a Reading Rainbow TV show revival and wondered whatever came of it, but I hadn't heard about the lawsuit. WNED-Buffalo seems to have been within its rights on some things and well beyond on others, like its untenable attempt to assert some sort of intellectual property control over the catchphrase "You don't have to take my word for it" and thus also all profits over Burton's podcast on which he used the catchphrase (they eventually caved on both of those issues in the settlement agreement). But apart from all of that, WNED should have cut a better deal with Burton. The show's brand is so linked to Burton that they're foolish not to have reached a more cooperative agreement with him, to let the reboot attempts proceed. Now they're stuck like Jim Mallon was for decades with MST3K, sitting around with the rights to a show he couldn't do anything with, without the participation of the show's other creators.