Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brucejoel199
Contributor

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by brucejoel199 »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:54 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:20 pm So when are the prime time specials starting?
they haven't been scheduled yet. I would expect November at the earliest, February at the latest.
I’d presume January (like the GOAT) at the earliest because when they announced her hiring, they said her first special would air in 2022.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

If Aaron Rodgers plays the rest of the season like he did last Sunday, he will be available to host sooner rather than later.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:48 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:28 pm
kingskip wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:10 pm I’d honestly like to have Levar Burton back to do some more weeks.
I’d rather have a colonoscopy without anesthesia.
Take a look
It’s up your butt
Reading Rectuuuuuum!
Another option is "tuchus" with the second syllable falling in place of the usual rest.

Who said the level of discourse here has plummeted in the past few years? :lol:
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

More on the rest of 2021's hosting from CBC News:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/m ... -1.6178241
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

tddeveryday wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:13 am From TMZ this morning:
[W]hile former champ Jennings is still guest hosting, we're told he's not seen as a real contender for the permanent gig ... due to past controversial tweets.[/i]
One thing that confuses me when people keep bringing up Ken's "controversial tweets" is that the controversy disappeared once Ken actually started hosting. The trolls went quiet during his run. They probably liked him and realized they were wrong. Why doesn't this ever factor into Sony's decision? Did they forget because Ken's run was so long ago now?
"controversial tweets" is a lazy copout; if it wasn't that, they would've found some other excuse.
Remember: nothing in Richards' past was disqualifying, not even the lawsuit...yet tweets manage to cross the bar? (Also, Disney rehired James Gunn)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:40 pm Also, Disney rehired James Gunn
The only difference between Mike Richards and James Gunn is that James Gunn is awesome
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t normally watch Daytime Jeopardy, but I just turned it on and it was Mayim’s episode from June 3.

Anyone know what they showed earlier this week?
Volante

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:53 pm
The only difference between Mike Richards and James Gunn is that James Gunn is awesome
(James Gunn was fired for 'controversial tweets')
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

i think its Myalim and Ken for the rest of 2021, not the season.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:15 pm I don’t normally watch Daytime Jeopardy, but I just turned it on and it was Mayim’s episode from June 3.

Anyone know what they showed earlier this week?
They are showing her Season 37 episodes this week and next week. Then, during the weeks of September 27 and October 4, they will show her first ten Season 38 episodes.
EDIT 9/27/21: The listings are incorrect. Today's Daytime Jeopardy episode was not Mayim Bialik's first episode of Season 38 from September 20, but rather Ken Jennings' first guest-hosted episode from January 11 of this year.
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

Interesting (Ken's bio didn't list him as "host" 'til today, & it's not referring to him as "interim host" even though that's what Sony said earlier today that he is through the end of the year. (Mayim's did already say host, but that's because she was already signed-on to host the primetime specials.) His bio also didn't designate him as an "interim host" - let alone as "host" - during his initial 6-wk run either, & not for nothing, but Pat Sajak was just made "consulting producer" over on Wheel too):

Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

davey wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:55 pm
Charming wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:39 am I so enjoy discussions on JBoard!

Where else will you find a multi page discussion of the meaning of several? And now we are all learning about "bury" vs "buried" and how it should be "lede" and not "lead" in journalism.
I have to point out that if you read the whole thread you learned that this is very much a matter of opinion... :geek: I did see a closed caption the other day that chose "lede."
Got me, I should have read your post as carefully as I read the clues.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:28 pm
kingskip wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:10 pm I’d honestly like to have Levar Burton back to do some more weeks.
I’d rather have a colonoscopy without anesthesia.
I dunno. Womack Army Hospital at Fort Bragg in 1990 didn't believe in sedation prior to the procedure. Mine started at 0615 and I was at work by 0800. I would have been OK with watching Levar Burton instead.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://defector.com/why-do-college-coa ... 88647beeaf
Baron Chairman 5 hours ago

So Barry Lyndon is the story of that guy who picked himself to host Jeopardy!?
~~
smistephen 5 hours ago

In reply to Baron Chairman
He remains the same person, fundamentally simple, almost uninflected; following his instincts, he passes through experiences without learning from them.

:P

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts ... e-regained
Read this ten minutes ago, it's still open on my tabs, and I'm still laughing.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:53 pm
Yeah, I think that about covers why so many in Hollywood stood up for him and Disney rehired him. He was offensive and made jokes about pedophilia and the Holocaust, but his politics are correct. Cancel culture has never been about the actual offense. That's what makes it so tempting.

I don't particularly care for Richards. The optics of having a search then stepping in and "winning" it anyway were terrible. But I still don't like the way all this went down.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

brucejoel199 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:04 pm Interesting (Ken's bio didn't list him as "host" 'til today, & it's not referring to him as "interim host" even though that's what Sony said earlier today that he is through the end of the year. (Mayim's did already say host, but that's because she was already signed-on to host the primetime specials.) His bio also didn't designate him as an "interim host" - let alone as "host" - during his initial 6-wk run either, & not for nothing, but Pat Sajak was just made "consulting producer" over on Wheel too):

Considering they didn't edit the Mike Richards opening from Johnny to say "guest host", I have a feeling they are just not using that term at this point; especially since Sony wants Mayim full time.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Ken’s Season 38 episodes will start airing the week of November 8 (the one-year anniversary of Alex Trebek’s death). I can also confirm thanks to the Xfinity TV Remote app that Ken will be hosting the weeks of November 15 and 22. My guess is that he will host until the week of December 27 (since the show said Mayim and Ken will host for the remainder of 2021), and then Mayim Bialik will return for the week of January 3.
Edit: According to a USA Today article, a tournament is airing starting the week of November 29, with Mayim Bialik hosting (it is likely a Professors' Tournament, as alluded to in a promo for the Anytime Test that aired towards the end of Season 37). However, Jeopardy! has yet to confirm this.
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Somebody on the J! staff doesn't like that Mayim picks her own outfits.

My 97-year-old great aunt likewise expressed to me her dissatisfaction with Bialik's sartorial choices and wanted to know what the J! mailing address was so that she could make said dissatisfaction more directly known.