Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Robert K S »

The trailer really should not be enough to worry. There were plenty of weekly trailers of Alex shows that were edited to look WACK-EEEEE! ZOUNDS! This is just par for the course.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:10 pm The trailer really should not be enough to worry. There were plenty of weekly trailers of Alex shows that were edited to look WACK-EEEEE! ZOUNDS! This is just par for the course.
I truly hope you are right.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I’m not reading much into a few random cuts with no context.
jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I'm curious to what other people are in line to be guest host after the aforementioned people (Mike Richards, Katie Couric, Bill Whittaker, Aaron Rogers, Anderson Cooper, etc.). But here's who I have in mind to possibly guest host.

Will Ferrell — He played Alex in the Celebrity Jeopardy! skits on Saturday Night Live.

Pat Sajak — Current host of Wheel of Fortune; and on April Fools Day in 1997, he hosted that day's Jeopardy! episode. He was also a contestant on Celebrity Jeopardy!, first in 1993 and then brought back for the 2009-2010 Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational where he was a semifinalist.

Brad Rutter — Biggest money winner on Jeopardy!. Like Ken, he was also close with Alex, and is a TV host himself.

Jeff Probst — Current host of Survivor, he also hosted Rock & Roll Jeopardy!

Steve Harvey — current host of Family Feud

Jeff Foxworthy — hosted Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader during its original run.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:43 pm I'm curious to what other people are in line to be guest host after the aforementioned people (Mike Richards, Katie Couric, Bill Whittaker, Aaron Rogers, Anderson Cooper, etc.). But here's who I have in mind to possibly guest host.

Will Ferrell — He played Alex in the Celebrity Jeopardy! skits on Saturday Night Live.

Pat Sajak — Current host of Wheel of Fortune; and on April Fools Day in 1997, he hosted that day's Jeopardy! episode. He was also a contestant on Celebrity Jeopardy!, first in 1993 and then brought back for the 2009-2010 Million Dollar Celebrity Invitational where he was a semifinalist.

Brad Rutter — Biggest money winner on Jeopardy!. Like Ken, he was also close with Alex, and is a TV host himself.

Jeff Foxworthy — hosted Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader during its original run.
Steve Harvey? Not a chance in any world. Never happen.

It seems to be:
Mike Richards: 2/22 - 3/5
Katie Couric: 3/8 - 3/19
Dr. Oz: 3/22 - 4/2
Aaron Rodgers: 4/5 - 4/16

I've read that this week was originally going to be the ToC and remarks about had to be edited out of last week's games.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:15 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:43 pm I'm curious to what other people are in line to be guest host after the aforementioned people (Mike Richards, Katie Couric, Bill Whittaker, Aaron Rogers, Anderson Cooper, etc.). But here's who I have in mind to possibly guest host.

It seems to be:

I've read that this week was originally going to be the ToC and remarks about had to be edited out of last week's games.
I saw where Rodgers has announced his engagement to some actress I have never heard of. I will let you know when I find out where he is registered.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:20 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:15 pm

It seems to be:

I saw where Rodgers has announced his engagement to some actress I have never heard of. I will let you know when I find out where he is registered.
Even Young Sheldon has heard of Shailene Woodley:
Spoiler

#7987, aired 2019-05-07 ACTORS NOT ACTING $800: Shailene Woodley, who played Tris in this film series, has enjoyed making her own cheese, face oils & toothpaste
#7861, aired 2018-11-12 MOVIE ADJECTIVES $800: "The ____ Now", Miles Teller & Shailene Woodley
#7789, aired 2018-06-21 TELEVISION $600: (I'm Iain Armitage.) I played Ziggy, the son of Miss Shailene Woodley's character, on this HBO miniseries that won 8 Emmy Awards including 1 for Miss Nicole Kidman
#7677, aired 2018-01-16 FIRST-TIME EMMY NOMINEES 2017 $1200: Reese Witherspoon & Shailene Woodley got their first nominations for roles in this HBO miniseries
#7539, aired 2017-05-25 SCI-FI MOVIES $200: In this film, the first in a series, Shailene Woodley stars as Tris, who discovers that she's not like the others
#7527, aired 2017-05-09 I'M GOING TO HAVE TO CONFISCATE THAT $1200: You love this actress who was the lead in "The Fault in Our Stars" but a poster of her in our class is inappropriate
#7498, aired 2017-03-29 "A" CAST $1600: 2016: Shailene Woodley, Naomi Watts
#6891, aired 2014-07-28 TV $800: The "secret" that Shailene Woodley had in the first few episodes of this series: she was pregnant
#6533, aired 2013-01-30 MTV MOVIE AWARDS $2000: Breakthrough Performance 2012: Her as a teen in "The Descendants"
The "registered" line. :lol: Good one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:15 pm Steve Harvey? Not a chance in any world. Never happen.
Steve Harvey's talents would be more or less wasted on Jeopardy!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Should I go ahead and make popcorn to get ready for the social media threads when Katie Couric hosts?
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Survivor is finally Filming S41/42 so i doubt Probst will eb able to host sadly.

They were gonna have the TOC this Month? that gives me hope that it will be in May.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What an awkward time to get the call.

For the record, I did not get the call, but I’d rather get the call after the interregnum.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:48 pm Steve Harvey's talents would be more or less wasted on Jeopardy!
He'd spend half the show ranting because somebody rang in and said "what is the penis?"
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

I'm just going to reply at the top. Thanks for answering my questions although I didn't get back to see the answers until now.
I really thought I had my Please Send Me E-mail If Somebody Replies turned on but maybe that wasn't an option.

I was seeing the comments about multiple Champs going up against multiple Champs but if you think about it, at least you know you are both very good. And obviously we have already seen the results and I already forget who won.

And Mike explained what happened to Ken. His new game show has too many rules for me. I think I've watched it one and a half times. Maybe they'll cancel it!

And finally I appreciate that Mike quotes Alex but hearing it every day... it's just no Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars.

Oh, one more thing that's not host related. Lots of triple stumpers lately it seems... more than usual?
I'm actually finding myself kind of bored. Unless of course I know the answer. ;-) also thanks to someone's comment on this board, I am reading Brainiac. Apparently I read it the first time around and I just forgot. It's fun. Except for Quiz Bowl. I do hope the upcoming hosts can toss a sense of humor into the mix somehow.
I don't know that it's required, but I seem to be missing it now.
Or maybe I just like Ken.
Always did.

Thanks to you all

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:03 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:37 pm
pamelajaye wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:05 pm I wonder if you would perhaps pardon someone who hasn't been here in years and didn't read all nine pages of this thread, to ask a question that may have been asked before?

I saw on page one of this thread that Ken did x number of weeks and then they mentioned Mike Richards.

I just realized this is a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

THE QUESTION IS DOWN HERE

Are they going to run all of Ken's and then follow them with Mike's or are they going to switch back and forth?

To make this question slightly less stupid, has anyone heard whether the winner from last spring will be back, and if so when? I don't even remember where he was from. Hopefully he is still living and breathing and just locked down somewhere.
THIS IS THE END OF THE QUESTION
(I know I'm long-winded)

I've always been very fond of Ken. I'm enjoying his episodes. But I might also like to record a little bit of Mike and I'm using a DVD recorder (which requires a little bit of pre-prep unlike a DVR. I would record *all* of Ken but we get Jeopardy at 7:30 and I'm recording things at 8:00). My listings don't mention who is hosting, and my main source of news has been Facebook because I have way too many hobbies.

Pam from Boston
Ken for six weeks straight with the 1/22 game completing his second week.

Word on the street is Katie Couric, Mayim Bialik, Aaron Rodgers and Bill Whitaker will each do five games and their charities will get a matching amount for the total won by the contestants that week. Mike Richards will do two weeks. I do not know if the order is set or confirmed yet.

Zach Newkirk is rumored to have returned to play with an unannounced airdate.
I don't know how accurate the archive is in terms of distinguishing between "from" and "originally from" - or how accurate the show is in disclosing such information. I do see that they took contestants "from" Minneapolis, NYC, and Chicago in the post-Trebek era. But in the same breath, there's still "originally from" Atlanta. The last show's archival info has two non-CA contestants as "from" and not "originally from".

OTOH, Zach tomorrow? Rude! Imagine battling your way to become a 4x champ, almost making the ToC, and they plop another 4x champ next to you - which applies to both Zach and Brian. And the player at the third lectern? Yikes!

But they do have to bring back Zach eventually. What if Brian's a superchamp in the making? Put him in now, or he'll have to go up against a 57-day champion. I mean, I suppose the fairest thing to do (while still being practical) would be have Zach come on a Tuesday when Wednesday's last champ was dethroned. (I assume they still tape Tues/Weds). A harder FJ! clue on Friday (with the same wagers) would have given them a great opportunity to sneak Zach in there in the nicest way possible, but I don't think Zach wants to wait for the next triple zero game.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

arjavrawal wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:54 pm Dr. Oz? Really? Well, now I know what shows I'll skip watching. Why don't we just allow Marjorie Taylor Greene to host a few while we're at it! Ugh.
Well if we have to have dr. Oz could we also have dr. Mike? He's personable. He is a small-time medium time media personality of some sort. He has a YouTube channel. He's Young. And I forgot he is a doctor and has a real full-time job. Oh well. I just remember hearing him talk about dr. Oz and since then the taste in my mouth has not been so good. I don't really watch Doctor Oz but it sounds sort of like he is a sell-out who will advertise for anyone. Snake oil, blah blah blah. Honestly I don't know but as noted by doctor Mike, who as you can see I really like, they call him to ask him things about when... isn't he like a cardiothoracic surgeon or something like that. Oh right! He has two full-time jobs! Isn't that enough?
Can you tell that I just don't watch talk shows?

And either I just never knew that Ken had a podcast or it is somehow related to Mental Floss and therefore I don't listen to it. His Kennections were really hard, back in the day when I used to look at them.

Donny Osmond is going off to Vegas in August. And I didn't watch Pyramid when he was doing it. Didn't watch his talk show hardly ever either. I love Donny but every day is too much. I hear Scott Bakula is free ;-)
I can't see him wanting to. Although he does like talking to people. Game show host though? Probably not. The only thing I know for sure is he does not want to do Dancing with the Stars. Ever. Too bad. I would watch that.

I have been watching Mayim bialik's show and I like her in it. I think she should stay there. I didn't see anyone on the list that thrilled me. I remember years ago Meredith Vieira doing the weakest link. (I just tried to capitalize that and ended up pasting in my entire last response.) It was boring. I didn't think that was possible. But Jane Lynch is good - for that show. Not Jeopardy. I can't watch millionaire - if it's even on. It's just too slow.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'm going to say that I've been having more fun watching Jeopardy with Ken hosting it. Definitely more fun than Mike, but you do what you have to do and I really did appreciate his announcement when Alex died and he got choked up.

Obviously I'm biased.

I skipped a lot more posts in the interim but I did notice the "originally from Ohio." If I were ever on Jeopardy which I will not be, I would be "originally from Boston." I've been in Florida nearly 20 years now. If it were not for the weather and the cost of living and the way people drive and the roads made from cow paths, and the fact that I really like living near my brother, I would go back.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

I see from the previous posts that Doctor Oz is as Doctor Mike said he was. And maybe even worse. Oh well. It's Jeopardy so I'll watch it anyway but please don't hire him permanently.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Aaron Rodgers will host two weeks starting April 5.

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-qb ... 243nz6cT9k
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'll be glad to be done with Mike Richards after today. He seems just a bit too enamored with Johnny. Not that Johnny doesn't deserve it, of course. But there's a line between acknowledging his contributions and fawning over them. Mike crossed that line some time last week. I think we're into the drooling stage by now, with idol worship in view.

Switching to the end of the show, Mike's sign off was great the first time. OK the second time. And really old the third time. It's much too long for a standard "goodby" message. Ken got that part right with his simple "Thank you, Alex."

The rest of the job - the real hosting job - he did fine. Nothing to write home about - neither great nor terrible. Frankly, that's about where a guest or interim host should be. Get the job done, keep the show on the air. The new host is the one to put their personality into the job.
--Peter
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:01 pm The rest of the job - the real hosting job - he did fine.
Did he regularly do several things that annoyed me? Nooooo, just one.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

pamelajaye wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:58 pm I see from the previous posts that Doctor Oz is as Doctor Mike said he was. And maybe even worse. Oh well. It's Jeopardy so I'll watch it anyway but please don't hire him permanently.
Yes, this is how I see it. Watch for the show and for Alex, if not for Oz.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:01 pm I'll be glad to be done with Mike Richards after today. He seems just a bit too enamored with Johnny. Not that Johnny doesn't deserve it, of course. But there's a line between acknowledging his contributions and fawning over them. Mike crossed that line some time last week. I think we're into the drooling stage by now, with idol worship in view.

Switching to the end of the show, Mike's sign off was great the first time. OK the second time. And really old the third time. It's much too long for a standard "goodby" message. Ken got that part right with his simple "Thank you, Alex."

The rest of the job - the real hosting job - he did fine. Nothing to write home about - neither great nor terrible. Frankly, that's about where a guest or interim host should be. Get the job done, keep the show on the air. The new host is the one to put their personality into the job.
Ken thanking Alex at the end got old to me after a while.

Alex had a nice message but Mike repeating it every day was a little much. The Gilbert tribute was fine with me.

It will be interesting to see how the future guest hosts will do. While most of them have experience in TV where they interviewed people, none of them are game show hosts and none have been behind the scenes at Jeopardy as much as Ken and Mike.