Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by alietr »

I've heard of Faber College, but not this guy.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

With all 16 hosts known, I did the math. The average age is 52.93 (53) of the 16 guest hosts. Alex was 44 when hired. They are probably going to be looking closer to the average or younger I would suspect.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I will watch whoever is hosting but I just don’t get the love for Burton. Nothing against him personally.

None of this last group really excites me. Just an actor with a rabid internet following and some talking heads on various TV shows. I think all will do a decent job.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 pm I've heard of Faber College, but not this guy.
I've heard of Faber-Castell pencils.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:32 pm
pdano wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:19 pm I am totally fine if LeVar Burton doesn't get the job - perfectly good reasons to pick someone else (job performance and age being the biggest two) - but I could not understand why he wouldn't get a guest slot. Jeopardy: I am temporarily assuaged! Just make a good decision on the permanent host.

(I don't know Peter Faber but the others seem pretty straightforward - "only" three white men in this group is, I guess, an improvement :roll: )
But do you know David Faber?
Clearly not :)
I get people who are fans of LeVar for host, but trashing the lineup of other guest hosts is out of bounds imo.
I sure hope it's never out of bounds to raise equity/morality issues!
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

It's nice to see LeVar get his chance, even if it's only for a week, but even I'm getting sick and tired of all the hatred towards other guest hosts that did well like Ken just because of his tweets back in the 2010s or that Anderson is too political just because he works for CNN. While I'm going to give some of them a chance, there are some that I just don't see happening in the long run. It's time for people to respect everyone else's opinions, even if there are those that disagree with them, and just get over it!
Just a person who loves game shows.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Age of all the guest hosts on September 13, 2021:
Ken Jennings 47
Mike Richards 46
Katie Couric 64
Mehmet Oz 61
Aaron Rodgers 37
Anderson Cooper 54
Bill Whitaker 70
Buzzy Cohen 36
Mayim Bailik 45
Savannah Guthrie 49
Sanjay Gupta 51
George Stephanopolous 60
Robin Roberts 60
LeVar Burton 64
David Faber 57
Joe Buck 52

Diversity scorecard:
9 white men
3 white women
2 Black men
1 Black woman
1 Asian man
2 openly gay people
Burton and Guthrie were born outside of the US due to parents’ jobs. Oz and Gupta are sons of immigrants.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Wasn't Aaron touting himself as the youngest guest host? Looks like he got edged out by a surprise contender.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:45 pm Wasn't Aaron touting himself as the youngest guest host? Looks like he got edged out by a surprise contender.
He may not have been aware of Cohen’s gig when he said that. But he is young enough to be the son of at least seven of the others. (Cutoff is 20 years for possible parentage).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was a fun trip down memory to visit in 2021 the post and posters from these prior threads:

viewtopic.php?p=124219#p124219
viewtopic.php?p=63284#p63284
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Matt Lauer's prospects have dropped just a tad since then...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

pdano wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:29 pm I sure hope it's never out of bounds to raise equity/morality issues!
I’m talking about people who say they’ll only watch LeVar and no other guest host and the ones demanding he get the permanent gig or they won’t watch.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I suppose it’s not the end of the world if the show selects an older host but I wish that they would select someone in their 30’s or 40’s. So far Mike Richards has done the best job, followed by Mehmet Oz. Couric was dreadful. Rodgers got better over the two weeks. Cooper isn’t very good but he’s better with the contestant tales.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Johnblue wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:38 pm I suppose it’s not the end of the world if the show selects an older host but I wish that they would select someone in their 30’s or 40’s. So far Mike Richards has done the best job, followed by Mehmet Oz. Couric was dreadful. Rodgers got better over the two weeks. Cooper isn’t very good but he’s better with the contestant tales.
IMO Richards was the worst, and Oz not far off. Cooper is one of the best, alongside Jennings, with Rodgers (who I had never heard of prior to his announcement as guest host) not far behind. This order appears to be borne out by the host polls...
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:05 pm I will watch whoever is hosting but I just don’t get the love for Burton. Nothing against him personally.

None of this last group really excites me. Just an actor with a rabid internet following and some talking heads on various TV shows. I think all will do a decent job.
Ok sorry, this post might be a little long ...

All I can do is speak for myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if others feel the same way. I think the reason is more generational. I am a millennial and many in my generation grew up watching Reading Rainbow as a kid and was fascinated with his storytelling and how LeVar Burton would make the stories fun to learn. He had a unique demeanor the way he would present, very calm yet not in a boring way. You could tell that he knew what he was talking about, and reading, and that he wanted to make learning fun for the kids. The way I felt watching Reading Rainbow is very similar to how I felt watching Jeopardy when Alex hosted. Alex had that calming presence, and you felt like Alex knew all the answers even if they were in front of him. It was so obvious how much Alex loved what he was doing and did his best every single episode. There's not many people who can bring that same passion and respect to the Jeopardy lectern. Anybody can host the show, but there are few people that can really make the show as beloved as it is and continue to make it something that people watch and know for years. I get it's hard to really understand if you weren't a kid watching Reading Rainbow at that time because its one of those things you just don't forget no matter how old you get. His podcast is quite reminiscent of it, its a good listen. LeVar is accomplished and respected individual that everyone likes and I think he exemplifies what Jeopardy is all about. I understand he is older than many of the candidates, but honestly I don't think it should matter because he has that unique qualities to be a good host. Longevity shouldn't be the main factor in finding a host, you want some who can represent the game well and continue to do so like Alex did. I get Reading Rainbow is different from Jeopardy, but given his credentials and natural talent, I'm excited to see how he fares as guest host. He is a Jeopardy champion as well. So far my favorite and who I feel comes anywhere close to Alex is Anderson Cooper, but I have always felt he would because he is so extremely knowledgeable and keeps the game moving so well and you do get that feeling of comfort and calm with him. There's no reason not to at least give LeVar Burton a chance to show his chops, especially when you have nearly a quarter of a million signatures vouching for him. My personal thought is I think ultimately it will come down to LeVar and Anderson.

Also, I would say the worst so far has been Dr. Oz, it just felt really fake and I really hope that talk about him making fun of contestant isn't true because that just makes him that much worse.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Alex often had a way of confirming abridged correct responses by simply giving the full response, with no actual word of confirmation (but affirmatively in tone), that has been conspicuously absent (to my ears) from the guest hosts.

Contestant: Who is Washington?
Alex: George Washington.
Contestant: [next selection]

vs.

Contestant: Who is Washington?
Guest host: Correct. George Washington. Select again.

Actually, though, "Washington" for George Washington might be a bad example, since it falls into those "goes without saying" moments Alex had plenty of times where he accepted last names or other shortened responses without adding anything. On that front, most of the guest hosts could stand to do that more, but Dr. Oz did it too much.

It probably comes down to the hosts' instincts, and Alex ran the show on his instincts long enough that his way of doing it is probably, in my mind, the way to do it.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:47 pm Matt Lauer's prospects have dropped just a tad since then...
(wishes to know about this "Matt Lauer")
Mario500 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:47 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:02 pm With all the LeVarmania going on and not a word from the show, even announcing Joe Buck this week...just makes me wonder if he is the choice for the permanent gig.
(personal thoughts of mine: does not understand the "he" in this message)
(still wishes to know the "he" in the message quoted in a previous posting of mine in this discussion)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mario500 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:53 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:47 pm Matt Lauer's prospects have dropped just a tad since then...
If you aren't familiar with the sordid tale of Matt Lauer I suggest you use Google. I don't think anyone needs it repeated here.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:52 pm
If you aren't familiar with the sordid tale of Matt Lauer I suggest you use Google. I don't think anyone needs it repeated here.
(imagines there having had been more than one being named "Matt Lauer")
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mario500 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:03 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:52 pm
(imagines there having had been more than one being named "Matt Lauer")
I've got to admit I don't have a clue what you're talking about or why you keep posting everything in parentheses...