Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:00 pm Did Joe claim to be one of those loyal viewers like other hosts said in their interviews? James did 37 games without including the GOAT. Joe should have heard of Mr. Holzhauer.
Well, he did say he had heard of him:

"I know about his success on the show, but I don’t know what kind of a guy he is. I have no idea. I couldn’t care less. I’m at the point now where I am so over reacting to Twitter."
chucklesmcgee

Post by chucklesmcgee »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:12 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:06 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:51 pm Does Sony even want the show to continue? They couldn't have sabotaged any better if they tried.
Seriously. Alex died in early November of last year. They'd had over nine months to find a new host and this is the best they could do?
they had way more time than that; from the moment he made the announcement about his health, a quiet search should've begun.
I and I think a lot of people thought that was why Ken was brought on as consulting producer with the guest categories months before Alex's passing. I don't know where Ken really stands right now and to what extend Richards' meddling may have influenced that standing, or the twittersphere suddenly turning an old tweet into a new issue.

Do we think the additional guest hosts here are going to be part of a sincere search for a new host? Or more of a stopgap to buy time to finalize a contract with someone who already auditioned?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

chucklesmcgee wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:05 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:12 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:06 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:51 pm Does Sony even want the show to continue? They couldn't have sabotaged any better if they tried.
Seriously. Alex died in early November of last year. They'd had over nine months to find a new host and this is the best they could do?
they had way more time than that; from the moment he made the announcement about his health, a quiet search should've begun.
I and I think a lot of people thought that was why Ken was brought on as consulting producer with the guest categories months before Alex's passing. I don't know where Ken really stands right now and to what extend Richards' meddling may have influenced that standing, or the twittersphere suddenly turning an old tweet into a new issue.

Do we think the additional guest hosts here are going to be part of a sincere search for a new host? Or more of a stopgap to buy time to finalize a contract with someone who already auditioned?
While I hated the idea of rotating hosts, it did create a great way to separate the permanent host from taking over for Alex.

In the past, I’ve said they would need a 3-5 year host after Alex before the new 30-year host is selected.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lots of J! news in the past week, so I don't recall where I read that J! will resume taping today. Who will be the host? Not George S. as he was in the studio with GMA this morning.

That show did a J! story this morning, but not by George. One guy's opinion was that Sony needs to make a decision fast and it could be Ken or LeVar.

Also, Robin is on vacation and I read that last week she said it was not for J! and she'll be back in the fall.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:20 am That show did a J! story this morning, but not by George. One guy's opinion was that Sony needs to make a decision fast and it could be Ken or LeVar.
Regrettably, I assume KJ is now on-air poison, as he's made some tart/crass comments via Twitter. But I still think he's essential somewhere on the behind-the-scenes production staff, ideally even as Executive Producer.

Levar would need a LOT of practice to come up to the needed standard. Maybe give him a season as a guest video-clue presenter to get viewers comfortable with him if there's an opportunity to step in later?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:20 am Lots of J! news in the past week, so I don't recall where I read that J! will resume taping today. Who will be the host?
Mike Richards crouching behind the lectern with a sock puppet?
Leander

Post by Leander »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:20 am Lots of J! news in the past week, so I don't recall where I read that J! will resume taping today. Who will be the host? Not George S. as he was in the studio with GMA this morning.

That show did a J! story this morning, but not by George. One guy's opinion was that Sony needs to make a decision fast and it could be Ken or LeVar.

Also, Robin is on vacation and I read that last week she said it was not for J! and she'll be back in the fall.
Savannah Guthrie not on the Today show this morning, if you want to engage in speculation…

A bit oddly, none of the regular hosts were on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'd put my money on either Ken or one of the Clue Crew [for the host at today's taping].
goongas

Post by goongas »

https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radi ... 2108230091

Mayim Bialik to be first guest host of 'Jeopardy!' following Mike Richards' departure
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

goongas wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:17 pm https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radi ... 2108230091

Mayim Bialik to be first guest host of 'Jeopardy!' following Mike Richards' departure
[Bialik will host the episodes that are taped this week, sources familiar with the matter told CNN Business. Since the game show typically tapes a week's worth of episodes on a single day, this means she will host several weeks of "Jeopardy!"
The sources familiar with the matter should have explained they aren’t taping every day this week.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:39 pm
goongas wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:17 pm https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radi ... 2108230091

[Bialik will host the episodes that are taped this week, sources familiar with the matter told CNN Business. Since the game show typically tapes a week's worth of episodes on a single day, this means she will host several weeks of "Jeopardy!"
The sources familiar with the matter should have explained they aren’t taping every day this week.
Other sources report they’re doing 3 tape days this week. Ergo, several weeks of shows.
goongas

Post by goongas »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:49 pm

Other sources report they’re doing 3 tape days this week. Ergo, several weeks of shows.
If she is free this week, they should maximize the amount of tapings. They are likely having to call locals for the contestants, given the short notice.
goongas

Post by goongas »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/23/busi ... -host.html
Sony said on Monday that Ms. Bialik would host this week’s tapings of “Jeopardy!” in Culver City, Calif., 15 episodes in all. The company said it had resumed its search for a permanent replacement for Mr. Trebek, it but has not revealed a formal list of candidates...“As we move forward with production on this season of ‘Jeopardy!’, additional guest hosts will be announced,” Sony said in a statement on Monday.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t consider three to be “several”. Although I was unaware they were doing that many. Thought they were just doing one to make up for last week.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:53 pm I don’t consider three to be “several”.
What do you consider "three" to be? "A couple"? :D
earendel

Post by earendel »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:09 pm
Three's a crowd (unless you're a sitcom, then three's company) :mrgreen:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I was curious if they would be sending home all the players from the scheduled Friday taping and then paying to fly them back again (plus presumably comping hotel stays on one of the two trips). If instead they simply paid for them to stay through the weekend for a Monday taping, that would make a lot more sense.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:09 pm
A few.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:20 pm I was curious if they would be sending home all the players from the scheduled Friday taping and then paying to fly them back again (plus presumably comping hotel stays on one of the two trips). If instead they simply paid for them to stay through the weekend for a Monday taping, that would make a lot more sense.
Good question and I would like to know the answer as well.

Another answer is the taping was cancelled and tough luck for the players. Those you had to leave to other parts of the country, left. They may or may not get the call again. If so, they're still paying out of pocket. Locals from Friday may be playing this week though I would expect some kind of pool shuffle not to have the same 11, 12, 13 people from Friday all on the same taping day the next go around.

I would be surprised if Sony sprung for contestants who said they were available for an unexpected weekend stay.

My guess is some of those players who thought they might be taping this week for what would have been week 3 or 4 of the season were asked to report today for what will be week 2.

These kinds of reports are typical from contestants on Reddit and I think we'll get an idea what happened, in September.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:53 pm

I don’t consider three to be “several”. Although I was unaware they were doing that many. Thought they were just doing one to make up for last week.
It's interesting the sort of things that can make me look stuff up on the internet. I have come to the conclusion that, in this context, "several" is more than "a few"*, and "she will host at least a few weeks" would probably have been more accurate. I'm guessing that the one to make up for last week is in addition to the two they had already been planning to do.

*I posted this before Bamaman's reply.

A prospective Friday contestant said on reddit that they got to the studio and were "told to go home". When asked for more details about defraying expenses, etc., they said they were hesitant to share more. It could mean that the contestants were put up in a hotel over the weekend, but I'm not certain.