Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Bamaman »

Charitable donations
Katie Couric $230,504 (Stand Up To Cancer)
Mehmet Oz $268,701 (Health Corps)
Aaron Rodgers $236,725 (North Valley Community Foundation)
Anderson Cooper $256,197
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:47 pm
goongas wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:00 pm Sorry Aaron, but J! isn't going to let you play football and host at the same time. Imagine if you get injured again while playing, J! would have to search for another host while you are recuperating.
that would all depend on taping schedule. the show could always change the schedule if he would be host.
It would also depend on the injury, no? Aaron Rodgers getting injured could be a good thing for Jeopardy!
I think the NFL would be far more concerned about Rodgers' divided attention than J! would...
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:59 pm Charitable donations
Anderson Cooper $256,197
Interesting that Oz had the lowest ratings (unless Cooper sinks) and has the most donations.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

davey wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:54 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:59 pm Charitable donations
Anderson Cooper $256,197
Interesting that Oz had the lowest ratings (unless Cooper sinks) and has the most donations.
I think the vast majority of time, changes in J! ratings are predominantly caused by external factors such as holidays and March Madness or other reasons for preemptions. It could be that some of these guest hosts have caused the ratings to tick up or down but it would take a lot of work to cancel out all the noise of other factors and determine this confidently.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Just saw today that Aaron Rodgers is threatening to leave the Packers if they don't fire their GM.

I wonder if this'll be a factor in whether he gets the J! gig?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:56 pm I wonder if this'll be a factor in whether he gets the J! gig?
Nope.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rackme32 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:56 pm Just saw today that Aaron Rodgers is threatening to leave the Packers if they don't fire their GM.

I'm sure this will all get straightened out once the owners get involved
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:53 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:56 pm Just saw today that Aaron Rodgers is threatening to leave the Packers if they don't fire their GM.

I'm sure this will all get straightened out once the owners get involved
As one of the owners I will let you know.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Is it safe to assume that the show won’t announce the new host until after the end of the season? I feel like an earlier announcement would kill any enthusiasm for the remaining lineup of guest hosts.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

floridagator wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:15 pm It's reported that Aaron Rodgers doesn't want to return to the Green Bay Packers, and Jeopardy figures into the equation.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/313 ... ources-say
I'd venture to say it mainly figures into the equation in that he's trying to buy leverage by making his threat of retirement look more credible.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:12 pm Is it safe to assume that the show won’t announce the new host until after the end of the season? I feel like an earlier announcement would kill any enthusiasm for the remaining lineup of guest hosts.
Let's put the start of S38 taping as July 20th. Even if it's July 27 that still ahead of the season ending on August 13th. There is no way the new host can stay secret 2-3 weeks. The announcement has to come before the end of the season.

Not the same thing, but we knew Ken was guest hosting before Alex's last new games aired.

July 21 is where I'll set the over/under date and I'll take the under.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This article has some information:

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/e ... ardy-host/

"
According to executive producer and previous guest host Mike Richards, who recently spoke on The Wall Street Journal’s podcast The Journal, a decision will be made before the next season of Jeopardy! begins taping in late July or early August. He also shared the reason why the show has had a slow hiring process.
That said, Mike explained that to his knowledge there's no leading contender for the permanent hosting position right now as testing continues.
The executive producer anticipates that one of the guest hosts will be named the new face of Jeopardy!, though he’s also not ruling anything out. He noted that he would prefer if the chosen person only dedicated their time to the beloved game show and made the role their own while honoring Alex's legacy.
"
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

According to a post on Reddit, Season 37 finishes taping today.
From yesterday:
"I’m in LA right now and this season’s last taping day is tomorrow, when my partner will be filming her episode. Unfortunately they are not even allowing the guests of contestants into the studio to watch but I traveled out here anyway for moral support."
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 pm Anderson Cooper's 'Jeopardy!' debut flops, draws lowest guest host ratings in show's history

The headline is misleading, but the ratings are not.
I don't want any of the news group to get the gig, but I suspect it's just guest host fatigue. It's not like his ratings were surprising. I have guest host fatigue. Now six weeks piled up on the DVR - watched one of the Aaron Rodgers weeks because my career is in football - and I have no desire to watch more. Maybe a bit of Blossom and Geordie out of curiosity.

I'll pick it up next season, and if I like the host, I'll probably get right back into it. If not, Alex Trebek was a part of our lives. I'm OK with that being the end of quiz shows for me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I don't think the ratings trend means much about any particular host. At best the numbers show that Aaron Rodgers was able to spark meager and temporary additional interest, and disprove the hypothesis that the TV polish and brand of Anderson Cooper could offer a huge ratings jolt. The real test will be when LeVar Burton takes the stage. If he can't muster a ratings improvement late in the game, his stock will sink with the decision-makers. But the overall trend doesn't leave his boosters much reason for optimism.

Ken's Twitter left a hint that he was in L.A. I wonder if it could have been for additional tests or negotiations.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:17 pm Ken's Twitter left a hint that he was in L.A. I wonder if it could have been for additional tests or negotiations.
The Chase filming again? Or what's the story there?

Also...isn't he on the J! payroll anyway? Maybe he's filming more categories. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Not clear Ken will still be a consulting producer for next season. That might have just been the title he got as "first guest host in the event Alex is unable to tape". I also got the sense that his greenscreen category bits were done from his home. The video quality didn't match the studio cameras. More Chase is a possibility. Another possibility would be any of the million other side-hustles Ken has going on his many-burnered stove. He's got a new book out soon. He does TV ads. Maybe a movie cameo, who knows?