Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Bamaman »

Ken started taping in late November. Before Alex got really sick they did ten shows a week. The two weeks of vault episodes at the end of December bought them some more time. So it probably didn’t take long to catch up.

While working from the other side of the host’s podium is different than playing, it probably didn’t take long for Ken to get up to speed in running the show. Plus he already knows everyone who works there so he is comfortable on the set and there is less of a wow factor for him.

Couric and whoever else they bring in will have a rougher time getting started.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

jeffwolfe wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:30 am How far in advance does J! usually tape?
About 9-10 weeks. I originally taped mid-January and aired April 1. I don't know if the timeline has changed in recent years, though.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Probst and Pat Sajak got the call to be guest host. For one thing, Jeff Probst hosted Rock & Roll Jeopardy! as well as being the current host of Survivor. And Pat hosted the April Fools episode back in 1997 as well as the fact that Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune are sister shows.

Another thing, when Ken Jennings hosts next week, I wonder if we're going to see him stand in front of the board when revealing the FJ! clue. Alex has been sitting at his podium for that segment since 2011 because he injured his achilles tendon while chasing down a robber in San Francisco the summer of that year before Season 28 began taping.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:54 am Ken started taping in late November. Before Alex got really sick they did ten shows a week. The two weeks of vault episodes at the end of December bought them some more time. So it probably didn’t take long to catch up.

While working from the other side of the host’s podium is different than playing, it probably didn’t take long for Ken to get up to speed in running the show. Plus he already knows everyone who works there so he is comfortable on the set and there is less of a wow factor for him.

I imagine (but I'm not 100% sure) that Ken might have, at some point, hosted some live trivia events after his new-found fame, but I could be mistaken.

I doubt Katie Couric would be "wowed" by the J! experience - she's a pro and has probably logged several orders of magnitude more time on TV than Ken. And, if anything, reading a question (or, in this case, answer) from a teleprompter is sort of "her thing". Maybe the 5 day period that was rumored is because they couldn't get her for a longer period of time, or that she's there as literal filler/interest, but she's not really interested in becoming the new host like Ken or Jimmy might be.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:06 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:54 am Ken started taping in late November. Before Alex got really sick they did ten shows a week. The two weeks of vault episodes at the end of December bought them some more time. So it probably didn’t take long to catch up.

I imagine (but I'm not 100% sure) that Ken might have, at some point, hosted some live trivia events after his new-found fame, but I could be mistaken.

I doubt Katie Couric would be "wowed" by the J! experience - she's a pro and has probably logged several orders of magnitude more time on TV than Ken. And, if anything, reading a question (or, in this case, answer) from a teleprompter is sort of "her thing". Maybe the 5 day period that was rumored is because they couldn't get her for a longer period of time, or that she's there as literal filler/interest, but she's not really interested in becoming the new host like Ken or Jimmy might be.
When Ken was a contestant it got to a point that Ken did not need rehearsal practice and he was allowed to play host for that day's other contestants. At some point Ken got in hot water when he went off stage to the side to check his tie, using Alex's mirror, and the staff went crazy because clue material was nearby. Something like that. I'm not going to dig out my copy of Brainiac for the exact wording of the story.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I probably could have worded that better. Couric certainly knows what she is doing in a TV studio. But hosting a rapid fire game show is different than interviewing a politician or movie star. I certainly think she could handle it but she has a steeper learning cure than Jennings.

But you could say the same for Levar Burton and anyone else mentioned as a new host. When the show was revived there were a number of people well known as a game show host. Not so much today.

I don’t know all the S&P rules but Ken hosting practice games while still a player is a little weird. Maybe not crossing a line but getting close to it.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:04 pm
I don’t know all the S&P rules but Ken hosting practice games while still a player is a little weird. Maybe not crossing a line but getting close to it.
Hadn't heard that story; hope it may an urban legend. I think "little weird" may be an understatement, "a lot weird" more closely matches my reaction.

I don't think I would have found it intimidating to have the practice game hosted by someone against whom I was going to be competing a few minutes later, but it would have certainly been off-putting at a minimum and could certainly have the appearance of favoritism.

Wonder if we have someone from that time period who could confirm or deny.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:45 pm
Hadn't heard that story; hope it may an urban legend. I think "little weird" may be an understatement, "a lot weird" more closely matches my reaction.

I don't think I would have found it intimidating to have the practice game hosted by someone against whom I was going to be competing a few minutes later, but it would have certainly been off-putting at a minimum and could certainly have the appearance of favoritism.

I decided to open Brainiac for the first time in more than 10 years and the necktie thing was about the shimmy effect on camera and not Ken hosting practice games. Ken should have been sent back to the green room to take care of the wardrobe problem but instead a staffer did the shorter route to have Ken fix it (he had a spare tie in his blazer) using Alex's mirror off to the side. That was a no-no for a contestant to be there and upset the powers.

While I have no doubt about Ken hosting practice games, that may not be in the book. I'm not thinking it could have been from any of countless interviews surrounding his initial appearance. I'm certain I did read and/or hear the tidbit though.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:33 pm

I decided to open Brainiac for the first time in more than 10 years and the necktie thing was about the shimmy effect on camera and not Ken hosting practice games. Ken should have been sent back to the green room to take care of the wardrobe problem but instead a staffer did the shorter route to have Ken fix it (he had a spare tie in his blazer) using Alex's mirror off to the side. That was a no-no for a contestant to be there and upset the powers.

While I have no doubt about Ken hosting practice games, that may not be in the book. I'm not thinking it could have been from any of countless interviews surrounding his initial appearance. I'm certain I did read and/or hear the tidbit though.
Just guessing, but did he host any Watson practices?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:22 pm

No, Todd Alan Crain hosted the Watson sparring matches.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:24 pm
Another person I hope they call to guest host

Jimmy and/or Sarah should be called too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

In 2006, Ken was the host of Face Off Minnesota, an NAQT-affiliated high school quiz bowl program on Twin Cities Public Television.

(Hey! Inline video is working again. Thanks RKS!)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:32 pm In 2006, Ken was the host of Face Off Minnesota, an NAQT-affiliated high school quiz bowl program on Twin Cities Public Television.

Was that doppelganger night? I saw guys in the crowd that looked like Brian Weikle, Mark Brown and OSC.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

This is a post that Ken made on his blog about Face Off Minnesota:
http://ken-jennings.com/blog/archives/13
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:32 pm In 2006, Ken was the host of Face Off Minnesota, an NAQT-affiliated high school quiz bowl program on Twin Cities Public Television.

Was that doppelganger night? I saw guys in the crowd that looked like Brian Weikle, Mark Brown and OSC.
Given that Weikle was very active in Twin Cities QB around the time, I'd bet it was actually him (The show taped in Rochester, MN). Quick Commissioner Gordon, to the Coelacanth signal!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

There were several hosts, including Jimmy, not just Todd.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:00 pm

There were several hosts, including Jimmy, not just Todd.
I'm pretty sure Jimmy just hosted pre-taping practice matches with Brad and Ken.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:29 pm When Ken was a contestant it got to a point that Ken did not need rehearsal practice and he was allowed to play host for that day's other contestants. At some point Ken got in hot water when he went off stage to the side to check his tie, using Alex's mirror, and the staff went crazy because clue material was nearby. Something like that. I'm not going to dig out my copy of Brainiac for the exact wording of the story.
Um...wow. Even that doesn't quite sound kosher, especially with all the strict S&P practices that they have. Any deviation from the norm doesn't seem quite right. While having Ken read -a- clue for yucks might be fine, if I were a contestant, I wouldn't want a two-comma champion doing my practice. Sure, I imagine practice partly to get you used to waiting to hear your name before responding, getting a handle on how much time you have before your time goes out, but part of the practice is buzzer cadence, isn't it? I imagine the light-master is used to both Alex and Jimmy (who I think does practices?) reading clues.

Plus, geez, it's a little intimidating. It's like the teacher putting his or her head down on the desk for the day and just letting the class nerd teach for a day.

Now, Ken skipping practice? That's absolutely fine. I can't imagine getting bored of playing J!, but maybe by the 15th dress rehearsal, it gets old. Plus, if they keep using the same small set of clues that rotate every 3 or 4 taping days, it could be kinda pointless. Although I hear that there's a database on the Internet that's catalogued over 400,000 clues from past shows. Perhaps J! could load a few of those in for practice.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:26 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Given that Weikle was very active in Twin Cities QB around the time, I'd bet it was actually him (The show taped in Rochester, MN). Quick Commissioner Gordon, to the Coelacanth signal!
And given that the show explicitly calls Weikle out (he was there as a judge), I'm pretty sure it was him.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 am Now, Ken skipping practice? That's absolutely fine. I can't imagine getting bored of playing J!, but maybe by the 15th dress rehearsal, it gets old. Plus, if they keep using the same small set of clues that rotate every 3 or 4 taping days, it could be kinda pointless.
Doing 10 shows a week is a grind. Jennings has said that. Saving your energy for when it really counts makes sense to me. After a while, practicing Jeopardy! would be pointless even if the clues were entirely new. For someone in Jennings's position, he would want to practice enough to keep his rhythm, but not so much as to detract from his real games.