Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Doesn't appear to be the correct link.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 pm
Yeah, that site is weird. If you scroll down to the next article, as one might do in the course of finishing the first article, the URL changes. The link above should work now.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:16 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 pm
Yeah, that site is weird. If you scroll down to the next article, as one might do in the course of finishing the first article, the URL changes. The link above should work now.
Thank you! Yes, this time it took me to the correct story.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

That article claims that jennings hosted for just 2 weeks. It sure seemed a lot longer...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:24 pm That article claims that jennings hosted for just 2 weeks. It sure seemed a lot longer...
2 ... 6 ... whatever ...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Aaron Rodgers has one of the very few occupations where he is paid more than he would be as Jeopardy host.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:07 pm Aaron Rodgers has one of the very few occupations where he is paid more than he would be as Jeopardy host.
Anderson Cooper and Dr. Oz definitely make more than Alex did per year and Guthrie is probably in the neighborhood. Mayim certainly did when she was doing BBT.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:17 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:07 pm Aaron Rodgers has one of the very few occupations where he is paid more than he would be as Jeopardy host.
Anderson Cooper and Dr. Oz definitely make more than Alex did per year and Guthrie is probably in the neighborhood. Mayim certainly did when she was doing BBT.
From what I can find, their annual salaries (in $M) are:

Oz -- $20
Rodgers -- $14.7 + bonuses
Cooper -- $12
Trebek -- $10
Guthrie -- $8
Bialik -- $4.5
Gupta -- $4

Couric -- unknown (was making about $15 with CBS)
Jennings -- unknown
Golf

Post by Golf »

Rodgers makes $33.5 million per year from the Packers. Forbes estimates another $9 million in endorsements.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

But you don't need an ice bath after a day of hosting Jeopardy!
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

threearruda wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:41 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:08 pm
brucejoel199 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:30 pm TOC from May 17-May 28th?
You know, I was in such a hurry to post my hilarious May/Mayim joke that I never even made that connection. Good looking out.
On Facebook I received a message that on Stu Shostak's show a mention was made that the host or guest heard from a Sony insider said that Ken Jennings was going to host the ToC to air in June or July. Fact or fiction, time will tell. Fourth hand information can be on the mark or it can wild rumor spreading.

Clearing out the ToC field of players that aired with Alex Trebek hosting makes sense to me to wrap up this season.
at least three of the upcoming ToCers have posted on Reddit/Twitter in the past 24 hours... doesn't exclude the possibility for a May ToC yet because these tapings do sometimes happen closer to the airdate, but just not this week it sounds like.
UPDATE: the official TOC tracker has been updated to reflect Steve Moulds' spot in the tournament, as opposed to his having been previously noted as an alternate following Brayden's untimely passing, so them starting to confirm who's in the TOC might've just turned the theory of the TOC being held soon (be it on May 17th-28th, or sometime in June/July) into more than a theory at this point.

The Ringer has also confirmed that this guest-hosted season will be ending on Aug. 13th, & none other than Ken himself had already confirmed that the new permanent host will be hosting next season.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

brucejoel199 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:54 pm UPDATE: the official TOC tracker has been updated to reflect Steve Moulds' spot in the tournament, as opposed to his having been previously noted as an alternate following Brayden's untimely passing, so them starting to confirm who's in the TOC might've just turned the theory of the TOC being held soon (be it on May 17th-28th, or sometime in June/July) into more than a theory at this point.
That update was made fairly soon after Brayden died, so I don't think the fact that Steve is on the list should be construed as indicating an imminent ToC.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

By Lorenzo Reyes of USA Today 4/13/21 print edition:

What Is 'second career'?

As the second and final week of Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers' run as a guest host of the TV quiz show "Jeopardy!" is set to start, the show's executive producer had some high praise about the passer's poise behind the podium.

"What I find fascinating about Aaron is his second career could be better than his first," executive producer Mike Richards told NBC Sports in an interview.

Rodgers is one of several guests who are hosting the show as it transitions to find a long-term replacement for the late Alex Trebek, who died in November at the age of 80 after a battle with pancreatic cancer.

Rodgers hasn't shied away from his desire to become the show's permanent host and said unequivocally that he would pursue the role.

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers will finish his turn as "Jeopardy!" guest host on April 16.
"Hell yeah, I would," Rodgers told USA TODAY in an interview when asked if he would take on the permanent job. "Look, it’s my second-brain job. I love the show and have a deep, deep affection for it. Not only is it a nostalgic connection to my childhood, but it’s a really special show to me and I had a great time with everybody that works there."

Richards recalled Rodgers' first episode. Despite having appeared on the show as a celebrity contestant in 2015 and winning that episode and having watched episodes to practice in preparation of his guest host duties, Richards said Rodgers was surprised by the pace once the cameras go live.

"The intensity goes up in the real game, which Aaron found out," Richards said. "You can see, even with the second show, his voice got better, his command got better, he started to enjoy it and have fun. But the truth is, you never truly relax. You’ve got the open, introducing the categories, 15 questions, the short interviews with the players, 15 more questions, 30 questions in Double Jeopardy, sum up, introduce Final Jeopardy, then do that, and through it all, you’re the arbiter of every question.

"And, there’s no huddle."

According to NBC Sports, Rodgers taped the 10 episodes over the course of three days, splitting the episodes and rehearsals within a tight window.

The episodes were filmed in mid-February.

"At the end of the three days, Aaron was exhausted," Richards told NBC Sports. "But he was so complimentary to everyone in the studio and on the team. We were his offensive linemen for those three days. He treated us all so well. He hated to go, and we hated to see him go."
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:30 pm
brucejoel199 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:54 pm UPDATE: the official TOC tracker has been updated to reflect Steve Moulds' spot in the tournament, as opposed to his having been previously noted as an alternate following Brayden's untimely passing, so them starting to confirm who's in the TOC might've just turned the theory of the TOC being held soon (be it on May 17th-28th, or sometime in June/July) into more than a theory at this point.
That update was made fairly soon after Brayden died, so I don't think the fact that Steve is on the list should be construed as indicating an imminent ToC.
Sorry, I might be confused? As the archive links I shared above showed, it looks like the update that mentioned Steve's status as an alternate was made soon after Brayden passed (I don't recall Steve having been included on the list at all in between Ken announcing the cut-off in Jan. & Brayden's passing the next month), but there's now been a new update removing any reference to Steve merely being an alternate (as opposed to a presumably confirmed participant in the tournament), which is what I thought I was getting at. My apologies if I worded it weirdly or something, though.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I mean, I don't have exact dates of when the update was pushed to the official website, but I do remember that the website was updated shortly after Brayden's death to note Moulds was taking his place, and, like Sg, was confused when you posted that it was more recent news. You can find references to the change on posts on reddit and probably here as well.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Found this in my news feed. Verrrrrry interesting...

https://nypost.com/2021/04/14/aaron-rod ... s-woodson/

Might leverage the Packers and walk away to Jeopardy!?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Savannah Guthrie was on Ellen's show yesterday with the guest saying she already taped her games hosting J! and they will air in June. Not that it's any surprise, but I would put Savannah down for June 14-25.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A lot of people have read into the above message, "Oh, the host's view of the gameboard is digital now! Bye-bye paper packets! Bye-bye marking implement to cancel used-up clues!" Two things:

1. That big screen in the middle has been there at least seven years.
2014-03-25 Host lectern screen.jpg
2014-03-25 Host lectern screen.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
2. Aaron Rodgers, like Katie Couric and Ken, used paper packets.
2021-04-09 Instagram close-up of Aaron Rodgers lectern.png
2021-04-09 Instagram close-up of Aaron Rodgers lectern.png (387.29 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It's funny, I'd been noticing every time they cut to him he has both hands free, so wondered if he had abandoned marking the clues off on paper. Would make sense with the digital sheet that someone else off stage could do that part for him so one less thing to have to be doing at game speed. So if he really is using paper maybe he's putting the pencil down when the camera is cutting to him to reveal an answer, which seems like a weird choice, but shrug.