Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Charming
Valued Contributor

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Charming »

I so enjoy discussions on JBoard!

Where else will you find a multi page discussion of the meaning of several? And now we are all learning about "bury" vs "buried" and how it should be "lede" and not "lead" in journalism.

Psst, Lefty, You could have said the use of "several" was in Final Jeopardy! I had to read every darned clue to get to the problem usage. Thanks. :lol:
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Charming wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:39 am I so enjoy discussions on JBoard!

Where else will you find a multi page discussion of the meaning of several? And now we are all learning about "bury" vs "buried" and how it should be "lede" and not "lead" in journalism.
I have to point out that if you read the whole thread you learned that this is very much a matter of opinion... :geek: I did see a closed caption the other day that chose "lede."
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Charming wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:39 am
Psst, Lefty, You could have said the use of "several" was in Final Jeopardy! I had to read every darned clue to get to the problem usage. Thanks. :lol:
The use of "FJ" as an abbreviation is pretty well established.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

$100,000 Pyramid on the second half of the 9/1 ep. had quite the contrast for celebrity players, with two I've seen mentioned seriously or jokingly as possible J! guest hosts:

Neil deGrasse Tyson & Gilbert Gottfried
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:37 am $100,000 Pyramid on the second half of the 9/1 ep. had quite the contrast for celebrity players, with two I've seen mentioned seriously or jokingly as possible J! guest hosts:

I think Gilbert was wearing PJ's.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:35 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:37 am $100,000 Pyramid on the second half of the 9/1 ep. had quite the contrast for celebrity players, with two I've seen mentioned seriously or jokingly as possible J! guest hosts:

I think Gilbert was wearing PJ's.
Gilbert did have PJs and a robe on and if I would have paid more attention, he probably had slippers on as well. Neil had a jacket and tie to go with jeans. Credit to the contestant who managed to get Gilbert to the winner's circle.

Gottfried had the big fall with the Aflac firing and now he's killing it making short videos on Cameo.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The unfortunate part of Buzzy hosting the TOC if he doesn’t get the permanent gig is that it might make him ineligible for any future super-TOCs they might hold.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:05 am The unfortunate part of Buzzy hosting the TOC if he doesn’t get the permanent gig is that it might make him ineligible for any future super-TOCs they might hold.
No "might" about it, the press release announcing his guest-hosting stint explicitly confirmed that he's no longer eligible for such reunion tournaments.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

brucejoel199 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 am
Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:05 am The unfortunate part of Buzzy hosting the TOC if he doesn’t get the permanent gig is that it might make him ineligible for any future super-TOCs they might hold.
No "might" about it, the press release announcing his guest-hosting stint explicitly confirmed that he's no longer eligible for such reunion tournaments.
I thought that was the case. Thanks for confirming.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:45 pm
I have to wonder how likely these are to occur again anyway. Ken is ineligible now as well (and stated during the GOAT tournament that he was retiring as a player anyway), which would put quite a damper on any potential reunions. I may be wrong, but I feel that there's a general sense that the door has been closed on the Alex era (with the exception of Zach Newkirk still being eligible for the next ToC).
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

As someone who took care of my elderly father in his final, wheel-chair bound years, I did not read Ken's tweet about hot people in wheelchairs as a tasteless joke, which I don't even understand, but as an too-blunt expression of sympathy. Life in a wheelchair is difficult - there are places you want to go but cannot and things you want to do and are not able to - like golf, which had been one of my father's favorite pastimes. For years, my father had to be helped into the shower, helped into bed, helped into the car, which he resented because he had been a strong and self-sufficient person.

Is it disgraceful, on seeing a "hot" (presumably young) person in a wheelchair, to feel an empathetic twinge, or even a moment of sadness, knowing that such a person may face a long and hard road ahead, deprived of the usual advantages of the youthful and attractive?

This is not to say that we should express pity or condescend toward people in wheelchairs, but neither should we refuse to acknowledge that the obstacles they face are real and sometimes daunting.

So Ken, which is it?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:46 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:45 pm
I have to wonder how likely these are to occur again anyway. Ken is ineligible now as well (and stated during the GOAT tournament that he was retiring as a player anyway), which would put quite a damper on any potential reunions. I may be wrong, but I feel that there's a general sense that the door has been closed on the Alex era (with the exception of Zach Newkirk still being eligible for the next ToC).
I had always imagined the Trebek era would end with an “Alex Invitational”, where he picked 15 (or more) of his favorites back for a special tournament to retire on a bang. Sadly, this didn’t happen.

I agree they may want to close the books on him and let the new host (whoever that may be) establish his/her own lineups of greats to bring back for future super-TOCs.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

A few weeks ago, I tried to post this meme on the J! Reddit, but it got deleted by the moderators, probably because the idea of Jeopardy! getting cancelled is too provocative. It's a few weeks late, but still a good meme (and not too provocative for the JBoard, I think).

My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

They have some arbitrary rule against posting memes to the J! subreddit on days when new shows air.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

tddeveryday wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:56 pm A few weeks ago, I tried to post this meme on the J! Reddit, but it got deleted by the moderators, probably because the idea of Jeopardy! getting cancelled is too provocative. It's a few weeks late, but still a good meme (and not too provocative for the JBoard, I think).
Just out of frame is the even larger domino of "Mike Richards' Bikini Blooper Challenge slated for former Jeopardy! timeslots."
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

do we know any guest hosts apart from Myalim?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:59 pm do we know any guest hosts apart from Myalim?
If so, the secret is being well-kept. Once a name gets out it will be immediate breaking news here and on Reddit.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

AntmanB wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:59 pm do we know any guest hosts apart from Myalim?
I heard an unconfirmed rumor that Marie Osmond would be guest hosting, but I have nothing concrete to back that up :D
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mungar wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:50 pm
I heard an unconfirmed rumor that Marie Osmond would be guest hosting, but I have nothing concrete to back that up :D
Believe it or not.

Marie Osmond has previous hosting experience and she currently hawks a product (or system) to meet the 2021 standard criteria.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:56 pm
mungar wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:50 pm
Believe it or not.

Marie Osmond has previous hosting experience and she currently hawks a product (or system) to meet the 2021 standard criteria.
(wonders about this "2021 standard criteria"?)